ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: RHCP "unplugged" at Super Bowl  (Read 9509 times)

James A. Griffin

Re: RHCP "unplugged" at Super Bowl
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »

If I recall, YoYo Ma and Itzhak Pearlman "finger synced" their performance to pre-recorded music at President Obama's first inauguration. It was a pretty cold day in January. I wonder if they still would have played to pre-recorded music if it was warm weather that day.

YoYo later said that the original intent was to play live, but they pre-recorded as a back-up.  On show day, they determined that there was no way to play with temps that low.

If you remember it or can find a clip somewhere, it's really obvious that the music isn't live.  I guess classical guys just aren't used to doing it that way.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 12:19:42 AM »

Fuck football. One more reason for me to hate it more than I already do. If it's so important to the NFL that it sound good, then why not just play a music video?

Won't be long before they are asking the football players themselves to pantomime the game to make it look good.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 12:41:36 AM »

Justice that would only work if the players hadn't had so many concussions, it would seem some can hardly identify their own name much less remember a play or remember to act....  And I like football.

And the rhcp thing doesn't bother  me either.  Mostly because they didn't try to pretend that they were live.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 01:44:03 AM »

I abhor any instance of replacing live musicians with tracks. Surely the NFL can afford to hire a couple of highly qualified sound technicians to make sure the stage snakes and mics get plugged in during change over.

And if its really that hard, then just play a pre recorded music video on the jumbotron.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 01:14:21 PM »

I abhor any instance of replacing live musicians with tracks.

Why? No one was put out of work because of this. The RHCP recorded the tracks. They sang live to them. If you don't enjoy that type of show take that opportunity to go to the kitchen and make yourself a snack. It is not a live concert, it is a 10 minute interlude in a football game. Even full on concerts where the guitars are plugged in are full of prerecorded tracks and samples. More than 20 years ago Huey Lewis had backing tracks in his live shows, that was my first experience with them in 1991. Get over it.

Mac

Thomas Harkin

• Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 02:12:40 PM »

Why? No one was put out of work because of this. The RHCP recorded the tracks. They sang live to them. If you don't enjoy that type of show take that opportunity to go to the kitchen and make yourself a snack. It is not a live concert, it is a 10 minute interlude in a football game. Even full on concerts where the guitars are plugged in are full of prerecorded tracks and samples. More than 20 years ago Huey Lewis had backing tracks in his live shows, that was my first experience with them in 1991. Get over it.

Mac

In the late 70s or early 80s, I saw James Taylor accompany a reel-to-reel, that was sitting on a chair in the middle of the stage!    :D

James A. Griffin

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »

In the late 70s or early 80s, I saw James Taylor accompany a reel-to-reel, that was sitting on a chair in the middle of the stage!    :D

JT used it as a gimmick / production element.    Some of the harmony parts of his own voice were on the Revox, which he'd start and stop as needed.   
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 02:44:22 PM »

JT used Frippertronics?!

Great performances by both Bruno and RHCP.

Best halftime shows for me were U2 - soon after 9/11,  and Prince shredding in the rain.

Oh, yeah...and Up With People.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 05:38:13 PM »

Mac

And it's been 20 years since I started replacing whiney Berklee horn players with sound modules. Back then it was unique, today it's fully excepted. I remember being back stage at a Tina Turner concert in Boston some years ago expecting to find a pit full of violins and other instruments not seen from out front. Turned out to be only one person. Roland. I absolutely love working with tracks when done right and heard through a quality sound system. All that extra money goes right into my own pocket, and not one bad word ever from the audience. Speaking of which I'll be picking one of these up next month.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1245

What say yee Mac?

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Fruits

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »

Legend has it that the for the Monkees first tour, the network still didn't think they were fully capable, so there was a full stage drape across the stage, the Monkees were in front of it and studio session musicians were behind the drape, actually doing the playing. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 06:03:12 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.