ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo Mixer Search  (Read 4289 times)

Rex Houston

Stereo Mixer Search
« on: February 16, 2014, 10:21:29 PM »

I am building an all new rack mount system to drive a pair of Peavey SP2G cabinets.  This is for my own use.  I will drive the Peaveys with a power amp.  I need 6 stereo inputs so my question is this:  Can I get a traditional rack mount mixer with good EQ that has at least 6 stereo inputs?  I can find several with 2 or maybe 4 but that's it.  I don't have room to put in a 16 channel mixer and just use 2 channels for each stereo input.

How can I do this?  Any and all equipment suggestions welcome!
(And pardon me if this is off topic)

Jonathan Kok

• Toronto
Re: Stereo Mixer Search
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 12:21:03 AM »

I am building an all new rack mount system to drive a pair of Peavey SP2G cabinets.  This is for my own use.  I will drive the Peaveys with a power amp.  I need 6 stereo inputs so my question is this:  Can I get a traditional rack mount mixer with good EQ that has at least 6 stereo inputs?  I can find several with 2 or maybe 4 but that's it.  I don't have room to put in a 16 channel mixer and just use 2 channels for each stereo input.

Mackie's got a few four-stereo options.
Otherwise, you're into DJ mixers, or perhaps a digital mixer that will allow you to 'link' inputs and combine them to a single fader on a custom layer.

Ray Cerwinski

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 01:58:38 AM »

There are plenty of rack-mountable mixers that have 6+ stereo inputs, but the deal breaker for you is the need for (what seems to be) individual EQ for each channel. While I'm not sure what your sources are, perhaps you can shed a little light on the actual application of this system is.

You're most likely either going to need to forgo a stereo setup, or give up the individual channel EQ and use a system-wide mains EQ.

Or, as Jonathan has mentioned, look into a multi-channel DJ product such as the Rane MP2016S+XP2016S setup. Keep in mind, however, that DJ EQs do not operate as they would on a standard mixer. They typically have a range of +6/8 to full kill, in a wide band of frequencies.
Ray Cerwinski

Rex Houston

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:46:25 AM »

Mackie's got a few four-stereo options.
Otherwise, you're into DJ mixers, or perhaps a digital mixer that will allow you to 'link' inputs and combine them to a single fader on a custom layer.

Thanks for the fast reply folks!  All good info.  The Rane setup would work and I am not really familiar with digital boards but I like the idea.

This setup is in my workshop and I want to go with a pro system rather than consumer.  Inputs will be a am/fm tuner, xm radio tuner, ipod, computer, 8-Track (just for fun) and a spare.

What's the best way to handle all these unbalanced inputs?

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:08:41 AM »

Thanks for the fast reply folks!  All good info.  The Rane setup would work and I am not really familiar with digital boards but I like the idea.

This setup is in my workshop and I want to go with a pro system rather than consumer.  Inputs will be a am/fm tuner, xm radio tuner, ipod, computer, 8-Track (just for fun) and a spare.

What's the best way to handle all these unbalanced inputs?
Seems completely necessary and expensive for what you want to do unless you're trying to listen to several inputs at the same time but I've spent much more on much sillier projects.  With that in mind, this should get you where you want to be
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Heath-MixWizard-WZ-20-8-2-RARE-/221364394231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338a5898f
Or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Heath-MixWizard-WZ20S-/290926201706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bc8d8b6a
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:11:37 AM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 07:16:20 PM »

Seems completely necessary and expensive for what you want to do unless you're trying to listen to several inputs at the same time but I've spent much more on much sillier projects.  With that in mind, this should get you where you want to be
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Heath-MixWizard-WZ-20-8-2-RARE-/221364394231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item338a5898f
Or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Heath-MixWizard-WZ20S-/290926201706?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43bc8d8b6a

dbx Zone Pro would do what you want and only takes a single rack space.  The 640 has 4 RCA inputs, the 1260 has more.  They can usually be found on eBay for less than $500.

Ray Cerwinski

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 08:54:18 PM »

If this is just for your shop, the below gear is what you're looking for...

9 stereo inputs via RCA (and an XLR mic input for when you're feeling some karaoke...)
http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=RM219

Dual 15 band EQ with pretty lights that will dance in the RTA mode...
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FBQ1502.aspx

Throw in a few 1/4" patch cables and call it a day, all for about $300
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:58:09 PM by Ray Cerwinski »
Ray Cerwinski

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 08:09:32 AM »

If this is just for your shop, the below gear is what you're looking for...

9 stereo inputs via RCA (and an XLR mic input for when you're feeling some karaoke...)
http://www.rolls.com/product.php?pid=RM219

Dual 15 band EQ with pretty lights that will dance in the RTA mode...
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FBQ1502.aspx

Throw in a few 1/4" patch cables and call it a day, all for about $300
I interpreted the OP as asking for EQ for each stereo input, if it is just overall EQ that opens up many more possibilities.

Rex Houston

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 09:06:46 AM »

"If this is just for your shop..."  I'm hurt! We take our music seriously!

No, you are all correct.  This is silly and overkill by a mile but that's the fun of it!  Like you say "just good enough, isn't..."

So, the Allen and Heath Mix Wizard looks just like what I need.  Thanks Lee for the suggestion. I don't need all the mix but the EQ for each input is good, it has enough inputs and it rack mounts. 

Thanks to all for taking the time to help a newbie! 

Josh Millward

• Meridian, MS
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 07:12:44 PM »

You may want to seek out a Mackie 1202 mixer. While it does have four mic/line inputs, it also has four stereo line inputs with individual EQ on each.

It looks like there is a used one available from B&H Photo Video for a mere $129.

You will need some stereo RCA to 1/4 cables to plug it up. Be sure to get ones like are shown in the link. There should be a 1/4" plug for each RCA plug. You do NOT want a dual RCA into one 1/4" plug. Look at the link I provided, get cables that look like those.

Then, obviously, you will need output cables, an amplifier and loudspeakers, but you are not asking about that stuff at this time.
Josh Millward
Danley Sound Labs

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 07:12:44 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 25 queries.