ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speakers for humid climate  (Read 5071 times)

Stephen Swaffer

Speakers for humid climate
« on: February 03, 2014, 10:58:28 PM »

I need to put together a small PA system on short notice for missionaries in East Africa.   Probably a Peavey or Yamaha powered mixer-6 ch/400 watt.  I need speakers that  will hold up in the rainy season humidity/outdoor covered application. 

Main program is spoken word, some vocal music.  Of course, cost is a consideration, as is the need to pack in less than 50 lb containers plus can't run down to the corner music store and get a replacement!.  Any suggestions? 
Steve Swaffer

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Re: Speakers for humid climate
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 07:59:00 AM »

I need to put together a small PA system on short notice for missionaries in East Africa.   Probably a Peavey or Yamaha powered mixer-6 ch/400 watt.  I need speakers that  will hold up in the rainy season humidity/outdoor covered application. 

Main program is spoken word, some vocal music.  Of course, cost is a consideration, as is the need to pack in less than 50 lb containers plus can't run down to the corner music store and get a replacement!.  Any suggestions?
Check this...
http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/os80/
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 10:26:27 AM »

51 pounds versus "the need to pack in less than 50 pound containers"?
Scott Hofmann

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:57:03 AM »

Don't know much about this system specifically but it's Yamaha and around 40 lbs.

Link to Yamaha Website for Detailed Specs

Musicians Friend Link

You could also go with a Yamaha EMX series or Peavey "Box" type mixer/amp and some smaller plastic passive speakers.

Another option would be a small unpowered mixer and a pair of small powered speakers; IMO this might be the better option though it requires signal and power going to each speaker.

Example:
2x -- EV ZXA1-90 Powered Speaker
1x -- Allen & Heath ZED10FX

With all systems you'll also need the appropriate cables.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »

I will look cheesy and sound even worse to our golden ears, but outdoor horn speakers (usually metal or plastic, thing classic bullhorn style) will probably be the most durable product for your needs. Replacement speakers of similar design -- should they be needed -- may be more available in Africa than other styles.

Based on the reports from my church's missionaries in Africa, sound quality isn't as important as we believe it to be here in the First World. The first objective is to spread the Word of God by any means possible. As for worship, the Africans join in worship very enthusiastically to the point where the PA system nearly gets drowned out. So if you're just using it for a songleader or two, maybe it's not so important for it to have a perfectly flat response.

BUT.... your experience may vary. If you can find a good quality system that does what you want at an acceptable price, go for it!
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 04:04:28 PM »

Don't know much about this system specifically but it's Yamaha and around 40 lbs.

Link to Yamaha Website for Detailed Specs

One of my friends has that Yamaha system (actually, he has two) and they are quite good.

Steve.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 07:29:10 PM »

Finding speakers that will handle the given conditions is easily doable from companies like JBL and Community, although they are neither light weight nor inexpensive.  I think the bigger questions is how you intend to keep the electronics functioning and dry in these same conditions.  For me that would preclude the possibilities of active speakers, unless you can find a manufacture that makes an outdoor model.  But weather aside, I'd much rather try and dig up an stand alone amplifier than a dedicated plate amp in such a remote location.  Is there dry storage for the electronics?
This space for rent

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 09:49:30 PM »

Yes, the missionary has other electronics-part of the reason I think a powered mixer would work well.  Speakers/wiring can be installed and hookup is simple plug and play when you bring out the mixer.
Steve Swaffer

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 10:18:32 PM »

Yes, the missionary has other electronics-part of the reason I think a powered mixer would work well.  Speakers/wiring can be installed and hookup is simple plug and play when you bring out the mixer.

I have an install with ten JBL Control 30 cabinets lashed to telephone poles using a MTC-30UB bracket.  They've been outside in temperatures ranging from -10F to 115F for the last five years in a military training environment and they're all still working like a champ.  They should be able to handle almost anything a powered mixer could throw at it.  42lbs fits your weight requirements.  I think list is somewhere around $850 each.
This space for rent

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »

Some of the JBL Control Contractor series surface mount speakers are weather resistant (http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/installed-sound/control-contractor-series).  I would also look at http://www.onesystems.com/# as they offer a variety of highly weather resistant speakers.  And Community (http://www.communitypro.com/products/product-list) is a good option with the iBox, R and WET series.  Of course budget will likely be a major factor in what options are feasible.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 01:54:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.