ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI issues...  (Read 10294 times)

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
Re: HDMI issues...
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 12:04:14 PM »

One possible factor in how well it works may be whether it is an active or passive cable, Monorpice sells both.

What concerns me in commercial applications how many times longer cables may be run through paths that might require in-wall, riser or even plenum rated cable, for example above a drop acoustical tile ceiling where the area above the ceiling is used for return air and thus is a plenum space.  Because they sell direct to consumers and most of their sales are for residential applications, many of the cables monoprice sels are CL2 rated for in-wall installation but few are CMR, CMP or similar rated for riser or plenum applications.

I'm pretty sure the cable used in the 75ft install was an active cable. I also know in that install the drop ceiling was not a plenum space. The air returns were handled through grates that passed through the walls of the room into the hall. The cable used was CL2 rated.

As for the setup in the OP I don't know what cable was used, how it was installed, etc... When I started helping with sound(and some video/lights) in this youth room everything was already installed and had been for some time. I also haven't messed with any of it other than unplug and plug it in occasionally on both ends.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 12:54:27 PM »

The HDMI system I somehow got involved in trouble shooting was using 50 foot passive cables with active extender modules. That run did work connected directly to a TV, when connected to a splitter only a couple TV's even tried to lock on to the signal. Trying every possible combination of the active extenders did not help.
From what I had read a 50 foot passive HDMI cable is about it for operating length, assuming it's a decent quality cable.

Personally I think HDMI was never intended to be used in a professional video environment such as long distance distribution, switching, ect. but out of demand was forced to become a pro format or at least try to act like one.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 12:58:23 PM »

Personally I think HDMI was never intended to be used in a professional video environment such as long distance distribution, switching, ect. but out of demand was forced to become a pro format or at least try to act like one.
I couldn't agree more...  It's generally a PITA in professional situations but you have to use it because of HDCP and it's what most devices use for I/O.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 01:17:01 PM »

I couldn't agree more...  It's generally a PITA in professional situations but you have to use it because of HDCP and it's what most devices use for I/O.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

At the very least for distribution of any distance as soon as you get away from the HDMI format the better off you'll be. Something like a: good baling system, HD-SDI, HD modulators. If your going to multiple HD TV's the modulator system would be about the easiest unless your putting it on a in house cable TV system then your going to need some RF channel traps and filters.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2014, 02:16:38 AM »

This may be irrelevant...

I had a PC (with an Intel video chip) connected to a Sharp TV via HDMI. I could not get the PC to see the TV as an available display -- sort of. When I reinstalled the video driver on the PC, the TV showed up and I was able to pass an image to it. Until I rebooted, after which the TV was not seen by the PC (until I reinstalled the driver, which worked until I rebooted. Rinse, lather, repeat.).

It turns out the problem was with the cable -- StarTech brand; only 2 meters. Switched to an IOGear cable (same length) and had absolutely no problems. The StarTech cable worked fine with other devices connected to the same TV.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Arnold B. Krueger

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 11:25:56 AM »

One possible factor in how well it works may be whether it is an active or passive cable, Monorpice sells both.

What concerns me in commercial applications how many times longer cables may be run through paths that might require in-wall, riser or even plenum rated cable, for example above a drop acoustical tile ceiling where the area above the ceiling is used for return air and thus is a plenum space.  Because they sell direct to consumers and most of their sales are for residential applications, many of the cables monoprice sels are CL2 rated for in-wall installation but few are CMR, CMP or similar rated for riser or plenum applications.

I find that there is a lot of prejudice against HDMI especially among people who have had good luck with "More professional" cabling formats like SDI. It is not all ill-founded because doing 25+ feet over HDMI does take a little care. But SDI on a budget doesn't seem much like a reality these days.

Like you I've had good luck with Monoprice's heavier  HDMI cables over distances like 25, 35, and even 50 feet. I do have to admit that the cables look and feel more like garden hoses than video cables. The costs are not what I feel is prohibitive.  The laws of physics suggest that the technique of using larger cable diameters and more copper per foot can be stretched quite a ways. My experience is that within a meeting room with less than 300 seats cabling distances are generally less than 100 feet. YMMV.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »

I no longer remember where I got it, (bought through Amazon) but I have a125' amplified HDMI cable. It has a lump 2/3 the way down and a USB tail at the source end to power the amp. Works well for me.

I also use the Geffen HDMI detective plus (also the DVI version) on inputs to a switch so the source always thinks the projector (or display) is connected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 24 queries.