ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to go from here?  (Read 3271 times)

Ole Anderson

Where to go from here?
« on: May 11, 2014, 01:18:59 AM »

This is a duplicate of what I just posted over on the ChurchMedia site (hope that is OK):

For years we have been doing a live 3 camera (JVC consumer DV) shoot with a Videonics 4 channel switcher into a Panny DVD recorder using RAM DVD media. All cabled with S-video. We then rip it to the hard drive and edit and burn a final DVD with Womble's MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0. It primarily goes to our local public access channels, both via Comcast and U-Verse. We occasionally upload a special event to YouTube and link it on our website. We do IMAG only for the children's message. Traditional service, average 130 attendance, all volunteers on tech. Projection screens front and back using (I know) Sunday Plus software. Switcher is 15 years old but works good, cameras are 12 years old and getting near their end life, and our 8 year old Panny recorder just bit the dust which is precipitating this post.

First, is there an inexpensive solution to enable us to go from the switcher directly to the computer with s-video and skip the DVD step? We recently added a 3 TB USB external drive to our editing computer. Preferably something that would allow us to migrate to HD.

If money were no object, I would like all PTZ cameras and a touch screen interface for control and switching. But with the small size of our church money is a concern, we aren't going to pop $25 k on new video like we did on sound and projection 5 years ago.

Second, I am trying to put together a bare bones proposal to basically start over and do the same except with HD equipment. Cable runs are 75, 50 and 50 feet. If I go consumer cameras I am limited to HDMI cabling, I would like to see an option to go with HD-SDI cabling as it is so much more robust, but then I am looking at cameras starting at 2 or 3 grand. I like some of the Blackmagic equipment as seeming cutting edge, yet relatively economical. Any suggestions as to:

-Cameras
-switcher
-computer interface/video boards

In addition I would like to be able to PIP the presentation software from our Kramer 719 switcher/scaler, another 75 foot run to our video room which is remote from the sanctuary and in the basement. Would I need to upgrade that piece of equipment as well?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Where to go from here?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:21:18 AM »

This is a duplicate of what I just posted over on the ChurchMedia site (hope that is OK):

For years we have been doing a live 3 camera (JVC consumer DV) shoot with a Videonics 4 channel switcher into a Panny DVD recorder using RAM DVD media. All cabled with S-video. We then rip it to the hard drive and edit and burn a final DVD with Womble's MPEG Video Wizard DVD 5.0. It primarily goes to our local public access channels, both via Comcast and U-Verse. We occasionally upload a special event to YouTube and link it on our website. We do IMAG only for the children's message. Traditional service, average 130 attendance, all volunteers on tech. Projection screens front and back using (I know) Sunday Plus software. Switcher is 15 years old but works good, cameras are 12 years old and getting near their end life, and our 8 year old Panny recorder just bit the dust which is precipitating this post.

First, is there an inexpensive solution to enable us to go from the switcher directly to the computer with s-video and skip the DVD step? We recently added a 3 TB USB external drive to our editing computer. Preferably something that would allow us to migrate to HD.

If money were no object, I would like all PTZ cameras and a touch screen interface for control and switching. But with the small size of our church money is a concern, we aren't going to pop $25 k on new video like we did on sound and projection 5 years ago.

Second, I am trying to put together a bare bones proposal to basically start over and do the same except with HD equipment. Cable runs are 75, 50 and 50 feet. If I go consumer cameras I am limited to HDMI cabling, I would like to see an option to go with HD-SDI cabling as it is so much more robust, but then I am looking at cameras starting at 2 or 3 grand. I like some of the Blackmagic equipment as seeming cutting edge, yet relatively economical. Any suggestions as to:

-Cameras
-switcher
-computer interface/video boards

In addition I would like to be able to PIP the presentation software from our Kramer 719 switcher/scaler, another 75 foot run to our video room which is remote from the sanctuary and in the basement. Would I need to upgrade that piece of equipment as well?
I am not a video guy, but here are a couple thoughts:

- Don't run HDMI any distance.  If you are going towards HD-SDI, get a converter box like this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/899137-REG/AJA_ha5_HDMI_to_SD_HD_SDI_Video.html and put it near your source device as a stepping stone.

There are lots of video -> computer interfaces, including possibly reusing one of your DV cameras as a temporary solution.

http://www.motu.com/video-products/hd-express-hdmi
http://www.aja.com/en/products/io-express

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Where to go from here?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 07:21:18 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.