ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone here do the gym / or crossfit?  (Read 6293 times)

Ted Christensen

anyone here do the gym / or crossfit?
« on: January 31, 2014, 02:38:05 PM »

Consider how this job is taxing on the body i took up going to a crossfit gym for better health and for more easy work days.

Anyone else do things like this? Crossfit / lifting / gym membership / etc...

It helps!
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: anyone here do the gym / or crossfit?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:56:05 PM »

I don't know abut cross-fit but I played a couple pick up games of full court fast break basketball last night at the health club gym. I've been a member for a few decades. But mostly for the basketball game. I have a weight machine and treadmill at the house.

I used to play basketball a few times a week, but lately I'm down to once a week (25 miles each way so I combine with my weekly grocery shopping trip).. I ran 5 miles on monday (pretty slow since I hurt my knee), but didn't try to run in the colder weather/snow.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

John Chiara

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »

Gym here. Have avowed to do more flexibility training. Lifting is coming to light as very effective for all kinds of physical conditioning. I have always lifted since high school and that with other robust athletic workouts should make a difference. I did tear a muscle last year...first for that...not fun but healed in about 4 weeks...good as new. That said I am cutting way back on loading and lifting gear.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 06:40:58 PM »

I'm 62, stopped playing semi pro hockey at 50, everything hurts, I have no time for my health and a good day is when I renew my prescription for Vicodin. I do own an elliptical, but right now it's being used to hang blankets.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:13:06 PM »

During the day I'm active duty air force, so I go to to the gym 3x a week, I lift a little and run a little and every 6 months try and do situps.
Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »

My wife and I joined Crossfit about 10 months ago and immediately I noticed my stamina increased. Working long hours seemed easier and I also started sleeping better. I felt lighter on my feet all day probably because I dropped 30 lbs in the first few months. Making the decision was a major lifestyle for us but definitely worth it.

For some people Crossfit is a little intense and or intimidating. A lot of the members at my local box are or have been athletes and they train hard...my primary motivation was to loose weight and improve my quality of life- for that it's been awesome. I tried the big box national chain gym thing several years ago which wasn't my thing. no results. The coaches at Crossfit have been great because I didn't have any knowledge of proper technique.

Darin Ulmer

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 01:05:52 AM »

I am an avid powerlifter and Olympic style weightlifter.  It sure makes load in easier, but sometimes it means people ask you to lift heavy things.

George Friedman-Jimenez

• NYC
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 07:02:11 AM »

I ride a bike 40-100 miles a week in warm weather and do a light workout in my basement rehearsal studio several times a week in the winter. I am heading down there right now. 15-30 minutes of riding my outdoor bike on a trainer, usually average 150-175 watts on the power meter, heart rate in the aerobic range 135 - 150 (I'm 61) with peaks to 175 during 1-3 sprints. Then upper body light freeweights 15-20 reps to exhaustion and crunches. Most days I also walk about 2-4 miles roundtrip in NYC from the bus station to my day job. I play congas / bongos and practice most days with 1-2 gigs a week. Recently, largely due to the economy and changes in the music scene, I have also been cutting back on heavy lifting when doing sound. The group I play with has a weekly gig playing in a NYC club with a sound system and sound guy (major luxury) and I have only been doing sound when I perform with my singer daughter in a club without a decent sound system. So far no major health problems (knock wood). The best thing about my basement workouts is that, unlike going to the gym, I get to listen to the best music in the world every day!

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »

The last few posts have made me very tired. I going back to bed.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »

gym membership, it helps!

Gym with aerobics (or run outdoors, weather permitting), then some lifting, then a lot of stretching.  Makes a huge difference in outlook as well as capability.  Don't neglect the stretches.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.