ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: aux fed subs  (Read 16329 times)

Bob Kidd

aux fed subs
« on: January 31, 2014, 12:37:29 PM »

Based on previous post on this subject I decided to try and set up at aux fed subs using available crossovers and my sound craft so compact. I'm using dbx drive rack pa on tops and dbx 223 on subs. Routing through aux 14 on sound craft. Set crossover on 223 at 87hz and driverack at 90hz. Other than plating programmed music I have not used live yet. Given the different crossovers am I creating more issuses than solving?

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
Re: aux fed subs
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:48:51 PM »

Based on previous post on this subject I decided to try and set up at aux fed subs using available crossovers and my sound craft so compact. I'm using dbx drive rack pa on tops and dbx 223 on subs. Routing through aux 14 on sound craft. Set crossover on 223 at 87hz and driverack at 90hz. Other than plating programmed music I have not used live yet. Given the different crossovers am I creating more issuses than solving?

No way to know for sure without measuring the response. What matters is the actual acoustic crossover. The filters are just a means to that end.

Scott Carneval

• Precision Audio
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »

There's a 10+ page post on this topic from a week or so ago. 

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 02:06:53 PM »

If you're ok with running your tops mono, you could run both tops and subs off one unit and then you'd have the same crossover frequency.

Just an idea.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:09:18 PM »

If you're ok with running your tops mono, you could run both tops and subs off one unit and then you'd have the same crossover frequency.

Just an idea.

Thanks Jason, right now I have it setup as subs in mono and tops in stereo. This could be an option. I will more than likely go back to the traditional setup for now until I get this fine tuned. I did read through previous post which is why I started setting it up but was concerned based on crossovers I have available and that I do not run Smaart that I maybe creating more of an issue than helping clean up low end. Will look to upgrade crossover. Thanks

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:23:15 PM »

Thanks Jason, right now I have it setup as subs in mono and tops in stereo. This could be an option. I will more than likely go back to the traditional setup for now until I get this fine tuned. I did read through previous post which is why I started setting it up but was concerned based on crossovers I have available and that I do not run Smaart that I maybe creating more of an issue than helping clean up low end. Will look to upgrade crossover. Thanks

I've been running a DSP (XTA DP448) for my tops and an analog crossover for my subs for years (currently the dbx 223XL because my old BSS crapped out). There's nothing wrong with doing it that way and it works great. The potential issue with alignment is that the DSP introduces some latency relative to the analog sub processor. Since my tops are flow and the subs on the floor, it doesn't matter. If I were to stack the tops on the subs, I'd add the delay to match the tops at the aux output on my digital desk if was required.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Bob Kidd

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 03:52:32 PM »

I've been running a DSP (XTA DP448) for my tops and an analog crossover for my subs for years (currently the dbx 223XL because my old BSS crapped out). There's nothing wrong with doing it that way and it works great. The potential issue with alignment is that the DSP introduces some latency relative to the analog sub processor. Since my tops are flow and the subs on the floor, it doesn't matter. If I were to stack the tops on the subs, I'd add the delay to match the tops at the aux output on my digital desk if was required.

Thanks, this helps greatly. I do stack mine and would need to determine how much delay is needed.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 04:01:28 PM »

The potential issue with alignment is that the DSP introduces some latency relative to the analog sub processor.

Since the tops normally need to be delayed to the subs anyway the inherent latency of the DSP is a change in the right direction.

Bob Kidd

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 04:33:19 PM »

Since the tops normally need to be delayed to the subs anyway the inherent latency of the DSP is a change in the right direction.

OK, well then I have been running all wrong then. In my traditional setup I never delayed the tops to the subs.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 05:14:39 PM »

OK, well then I have been running all wrong then. In my traditional setup I never delayed the tops to the subs.

I seldom delay my tops for my little setup. But I do tend to place my subs forward of the mains a little.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 05:14:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.