ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another "mix and match" of sorts  (Read 2926 times)

Mike Sullivan

Another "mix and match" of sorts
« on: February 04, 2014, 10:01:15 PM »

So I have three shows this weekend, all the same venue (two are confirmed, one is pending)...first is a rap show, second is EDM.  My usual rig is 4 QSC KW153's over 4 KW181's, but because of the venue (1000 person cap) I talked to a buddy of mine who got to rent me a set of 4 Worx Audio Max 8.0 double 18" subs, which the bar is paying for.

My main question is going to be, is there a need for me to throw the KW181's in as sort of a low-mid assist, or would it be better to just run the KW tops with the Max 8.0's instead?  Also, what would you all recommend crossover wise for them?

(And yes, I know the KW153's are a 75* box, they are going to be used more for wider coverage as the stage sits on one side of the bar, and it is a pretty large bar..)
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Another "mix and match" of sorts
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 12:16:23 AM »

I would go with the two KW153 tops over two Worx subs per side (stacking the subs on top of one another one their sides to get the KW153s up in the air a bit more). 

Send two of the KW181s to your monitor rig for the LF hungry EDM and rap acts to enjoy on-stage and leave the other two KW181s at home or in the truck for backup purposes.

What power do you have for the Worx subs?

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 12:46:39 AM »

I would go with the two KW153 tops over two Worx subs per side (stacking the subs on top of one another one their sides to get the KW153s up in the air a bit more). 

Send two of the KW181s to your monitor rig for the LF hungry EDM and rap acts to enjoy on-stage and leave the other two KW181s at home or in the truck for backup purposes.

What power do you have for the Worx subs?

That's how I'm setting them up, but with two tops per side as well, angled about 45* apart. I may put the KW181's on monitor duty for s**ts and giggles.  The amps are a pair of AB International amps, not sure of model but they are what they always use, one sub per side with plenty of power, and will definitely be setting limiters.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 01:24:42 AM by Mike Sullivan »

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 12:38:57 PM »

Update.  Got set up last night, but was only using one amp, so the subs were only getting 1000 watts apiece...split it up to two amps, so they're getting 1500 watts apiece and they've come a lot more alive.  Will get me through the next couple of nights no problem.  Owners are happy as well, they're interested in making me the go-to guy...going to convince them of a house gig...may try to buy an SRX or STX rig to put in here, about the same size.

Picture because it's always necessary.

Oh, and of interest, if things go well here, I may become the go-to or even house guy, they don't have anyone at the moment.  As long as I get paid, I don't care...if I get paid well enough, I'll buy a new rig (either some SRX's or maybe STX's) for the house system.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 12:44:37 PM by Mike Sullivan »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 01:26:24 PM »

Update.  Got set up last night, but was only using one amp, so the subs were only getting 1000 watts apiece...split it up to two amps, so they're getting 1500 watts apiece and they've come a lot more alive.

"A lot more alive" meaning they will now get 1.75dB louder. Move your input fader up or down 2dB to see how much of a difference this really is. Try using this calculator to check how much of a difference different power levels make.

Mac

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »

"A lot more alive" meaning they will now get 1.75dB louder. Move your input fader up or down 2dB to see how much of a difference this really is. Try using this calculator to check how much of a difference different power levels make.

Mac

It's something at least. Plus they're powered past RMS. Ijust wonder why the guys I rented them from don't put more power into them...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 03:06:37 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.