ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to figure out how much gear is worth  (Read 5231 times)

Scott Jordan

• LinkedIn Profile
Trying to figure out how much gear is worth
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:16:02 AM »

I have been acquiring pro audio gear for a while, the idea being to try and put together a small system that I could eventually use. I currently have a pair of EAW KF600i loudspeakers (front firing 15", second gen) that are in very good shape. With those, I got an MX800i processor configured to run them with subs, as well as three Crest FA1201 amplifiers. I also own a pair of Bose 302 double-12" subs, which are in fair condition physically but they work...plan in the spring was to clean these up...those I wasn't looking for much more than $150-200 each once cleaned up.

The question I have is 'what might this stuff be worth, what could I realistically sell this stuff for'. I tried once before, was told I was asking too much, pulled the posting down. I got these up now with the 'make reasonable offer' and am still getting low-balled, offered amounts that wouldn't buy decent passive speakers on sticks from Guitar Center. I know these are older loudspeakers, but they still have a lot of life in them and could still work well for certain applications...heck, they are essentially the same cabinet as the KF650, which those are still workhorses today. My thought was if I could get a reasonable amount from selling this gear, I might be able to swing the purchase of a smaller but more complete system.

Just looking for some honest input since I don't know what this stuff might be worth on the used market.

Mods - feel free to move if this is not in the appropriate spot.

Scott
Scott Jordan

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Trying to figure out how much gear is worth
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:16:52 AM »

The question I have is 'what might this stuff be worth, what could I realistically sell this stuff for'. I tried once before, was told I was asking too much, pulled the posting down. I got these up now with the 'make reasonable offer' and am still getting low-balled,

People want to get a deal of course so you have to expect lowball offers, but if you list the items with reasonable asking prices you should be able to sell them. Of course figuring out what those reasonable asking prices are is the challenge, you should be able to find examples of some of the equipment for sale online to use as a baseline but for some of the more pro level gear(those EAWs) you may have to call a few pro audio rental houses to get an idea of what these things are really worth.
That done it could be that the market for this level of gear in your immediate area is poor so you may have to lift your "local pickup only" requirement and offer to ship items.. at the buyers expense of course. In case you're wondering yes I found your Ad pretty easily searching for the speaker model.

Gus Housen

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 07:01:57 PM »

Ebay can be pretty good guide for value. Craigs list is generally ebay + 20%

I generally just put it up on ebay for what I am willing to take for it, if it goes it goes if not I wait for a better time to sell it.

The biggest thing is most guys looking at late model boxes are really looking for a deal and freight really adds the the cost. Over the summer I got some really incredible deals that were off the chain. buying gear for less than 1/3 of what the driver compliment was worth. I got 90% of my money back when a local club needed a upgrade.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 10:30:55 AM »

Gear is worth whatever someone will pay for it. For older stuff it may be shocking how little interest there is in it. Put yourself in the buyer's shoes: why should I pay $xxx for your 20-25 yr old speakers when I can get NEW technology for the same or a little more?
Ebay gives you a wider audience but then there's the problem of shipping, it can make a good deal NOT a good deal.
The free market is the free market, you may not like what people are willing to pay for your stuff but there's not much you can do about it except adjust your expectations.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »

Gear is usually worth 60% of blue book if traded, more if sold outright but seldom much more than 50% of what you pay for it. That would exclude certain items such as most Gibson, and some Fender guitars which appreciate in value from the minute you buy them.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »

When I buy something from a store I can get 10-30% off the generally advertised street price.

I also get a warranty.

When buying a second hand item if I as a buyer am 100% sure that there are no problems with the item I will pay up to 50% of that new street price.  Only more if I need an item and new isn't available on the necessary timeframe.

If I am not sure of quality the price I will pay goes down.  A lot.

Put yourself in my shoes.  What are the chances that an old live speaker hasn't been thrashed, hasn't been repaired with weird drivers, ...

Ian Appleby

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »

I have been acquiring pro audio gear for a while, the idea being to try and put together a small system that I could eventually use. I currently have a pair of EAW KF600i loudspeakers (front firing 15", second gen) that are in very good shape. With those, I got an MX800i processor configured to run them with subs, as well as three Crest FA1201 amplifiers. I also own a pair of Bose 302 double-12" subs, which are in fair condition physically but they work...plan in the spring was to clean these up...those I wasn't looking for much more than $150-200 each once cleaned up.

The question I have is 'what might this stuff be worth, what could I realistically sell this stuff for'. I tried once before, was told I was asking too much, pulled the posting down. I got these up now with the 'make reasonable offer' and am still getting low-balled, offered amounts that wouldn't buy decent passive speakers on sticks from Guitar Center. I know these are older loudspeakers, but they still have a lot of life in them and could still work well for certain applications...heck, they are essentially the same cabinet as the KF650, which those are still workhorses today. My thought was if I could get a reasonable amount from selling this gear, I might be able to swing the purchase of a smaller but more complete system.

Just looking for some honest input since I don't know what this stuff might be worth on the used market.

Mods - feel free to move if this is not in the appropriate spot.

Scott

I pretty much only buy used. I'd rather buy a higher end pro gear used then new crap. Plus you can buy some really nice system for not a lot of money these days.  Now yes they may weigh more and be bigger then the new stuff but they will keep on trucking because they where designed to. Plus I can usually sell them for what I paid for them...so I'm not losing a lot.
Ian Appleby
Dynacord Cobra 2 / EV Phoenix, ZX3 / A&H QU32

James A. Griffin

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 08:12:09 AM »

People can be downright ignorant about what used gear is worth.   There was a guy trying to sell a package of PRX500 gear on the local Craigslist a few months ago who was asking more than he paid for it and more than the new price of PRX700.     I was in the market for a few extra subs at the time and had a very brief negotiation with him.  I ran into the proverbial brick wall when his rock bottom price for the PRX518 boxes was $1500 each.  He couldn't grasp the concept that 5 year old speakers, two generations removed from the current model,  are worth less than the new boxes.
I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squatteth the Toad of Truth

Scott Jordan

• LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 01:34:51 PM »

Thanks for the input - mirrors pretty much what I was thinking about these. Going to need to do some research and figure out what these potentially could be worth, given how much they sold for back in the day, their condition (thankfully they were installed and used properly, so they are in great shape function-wise and in great shape physically aside from the dust I had to clean off when I got them.
Scott Jordan

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 01:34:51 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.