ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: a simple yet blunt question on labor rates  (Read 7134 times)

Richard Turner

a simple yet blunt question on labor rates
« on: January 31, 2014, 09:39:05 AM »

A simple but blunt question on labor rates

What does day labor go for in your area, for stage hand, technical operator (audio, lighting or video) and actual engineer (as in you have your actual degree behind you) and weather union or non union. Do you work on a day rate straight hourly rate or minimum show fee plus hours after 4 hours?

I'm askng this as the discussion has come up once again. I'm so used to just running as solo man plus equipment on a flat rate for shows and Full DJ service with lbrary and equipment I have no real idea of a fair price for just labor only. If you dont feel comfortable posting in forums a OM would be appreciated.
Looking at retiring. Local PA market has shrank to 2 guys with guitars and bose l1 compacts or expecting full line array and 16 movers on stage for $300... no middle left going back to event DJ stuff, half the work for twice the pay.

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: a simple yet blunt question on labor rates
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:39:49 AM »

Do you work on a day rate straight hourly rate or minimum show fee plus hours after 4 hours?
A Google query of "IATSE hourly rates" gives a lot of documents like this with local rates:

http://www.usa829.org/Portals/0/Documents/Contracts/TV-Film-Commercials/IATSE-Area-Standards-Agreement_2009-2012.pdf

Ran into an old friend recently who had worked as a case pusher on a rock show in California, got around $750 for the day because the callback was midnight.

I'm "lucky" to get that much here in New Mexico with a full system...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 12:33:49 PM »

What does day labor go for in your area, for stage hand, technical operator (audio, lighting or video) and actual engineer (as in you have your actual degree behind you) and weather union or non union. Do you work on a day rate straight hourly rate or minimum show fee plus hours after 4 hours?

I'm askng this as the discussion has come up once again. I'm so used to just running as solo man plus equipment on a flat rate for shows and Full DJ service with lbrary and equipment I have no real idea of a fair price for just labor only. If you dont feel comfortable posting in forums a OM would be appreciated.

Holiday pay is 1.5X regular pay for the first 8 hours between 8am and midnight.  Premium pay does not "pyramid", i.e. overtime after 8 worked hours on a holiday remains at 1.5x, rather than becoming 2.25x... or at least that's what our Local has in its contracts with SMG (private contract managers of public facilities) and our City-managed PAC.

As an "entertainer" your fee is based on whatever your client thinks you're worth and they may or may not consider performing on a holiday to be justification for a higher fee.

Good luck and let us know what happens, and you might want to post this in the DJ forum as well, since it will have an affect on what they might do.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 01:20:56 PM »

and actual engineer (as in you have your actual degree behind you)

I don't understand this bit.  Why is a degree necessary?

Steve.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:24:57 PM »

What does day labor go for in your area, for stage hand, technical operator (audio, lighting or video) and actual engineer (as in you have your actual degree behind you) and weather union or non union.

It pays the same if it rains or not...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:05:55 PM »

Ohhhh Dick, thanks for coming up with the weather pun. I was trying to think of one earlier, and failed.

-r
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 05:44:12 AM »

'It pays the same whether it rains or not' would have been the smart answer,  Don't use 'wether' though!

Steve.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »

'It pays the same whether it rains or not' would have been the smart answer,  Don't use 'wether' though!

Steve.

You're correct, sir, but the next time you edit my humor/sarcasm I'll have to kill you.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 07:19:41 PM »

I don't understand this bit.  Why is a degree necessary?

Steve.

He's asking about rates for an actual engineer as in structural engineer, electrical engineer, etc.  There's no such thing, as far as I know, for audio engineering.  Although there are engineers who do also mix audio.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 02:30:42 AM »

... No, I don't think he's asking about B.Eng types.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 02:30:42 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.