ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Per diem  (Read 8619 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Per diem
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »

So this is an old thread but this has come up again with a couple of my clients.I have been and I know other techs that use GSA.gov as the reference for how much they bill their clients for per diem.  I've had to coach a client or two on the purpose of per diem, but I have one client that I think was misinformed.  They are saying that $45 is the going rate for per diem, no matter what.  I've been in average US cities, on resorts that are a 15 min cab ride away form civilization and on islands with them.  That rate has yet to change.  That can't be accurate, can it?

It varies on a city by city basis, and will also change depending on the time of the year in some cities. Aspen, CO for instance has higher per diem rates during the winter months when it is busier (for lodging). Also important to remember that there is per diem for lodging and for meals and other expenses.

http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104877?utm_source=OGP&utm_medium=print-radio&utm_term=perdiem&utm_campaign=shortcuts

Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 01:51:41 PM »

Quasi-government experience - USPS -
Travel was reimbursed separately, as was rental car (if used)
Housing was a separate line item. (different from "regular" government)
Per Diem was based on three periods in the day.  Evening time was higher than morning and afternoon.

Per Diem was paid based on a govt. supplied city cost of living table

Any time a meal was offered, the per-diem for that portion of the day was not paid - whether or not one took advantage of the meal.

i.e., If a hotel has breakfast as many do, no per-diem paid for AM hours, even if you grab a coffee on the run - or not.

How that translates to the private sector, I cannot say.  Use it as a hip-pocket piece of info in case someone wants an example.

frank

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »

So this is an old thread but this has come up again with a couple of my clients.

I have been and I know other techs that use GSA.gov as the reference for how much they bill their clients for per diem.  I've had to coach a client or two on the purpose of per diem, but I have one client that I think was misinformed.  They are saying that $45 is the going rate for per diem, no matter what.  I've been in average US cities, on resorts that are a 15 min cab ride away form civilization and on islands with them.  That rate has yet to change.  That can't be accurate, can it?

"Per diem" rates vary wildly, and depend on the body that establishes them. Rates allowed by the federal government (U.S.A.) are a reasonable approximation of cost.  A government per-diem rate is what the government pays it own employee traveling on official business. It typically is the maximum the government agency will reimburse a contractor, too.  State rates can be reasonable to stupid low; in-state rates may vary from out-of-state rates.  In Montana, in-state food allowance is $23 a day. ($5 breakfast; $6 lunch; $12 dinner.). Some union contracts specify a per-diem rate, too.

The tax treatment of "per diem" payments may vary with the taxing authority, too. Again using Montana as an example, per-diem payments in excess of the "state rate" are treated as wages for state workers' compensation and unemployment tax purposes.  Your one client may be in a state that has a similar rule.

Mark C.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:43:03 PM by Mark Cadwallader »
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 04:37:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.