ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SM58 fakes....Not so easy to detect?  (Read 31773 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: SM58 fakes....Not so easy to detect?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 12:18:11 PM »

IMO as relatively inexpensive as 57's / 58's are these days why would you take the risk of getting a fake?

I agree - especially now folks have been made aware that these fakes are everywhere and very difficult to detect . I must be honest - I hadn't even considered the fact that I could be buying a fake till recently - an SM58 was an SM58 as far as I was concerned. I am wiser now because of all the exposure this subject has had.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 12:27:51 PM »

Well...I received a response right away..

Response By Email (Rick Waller) (01/31/2014 11:16 AM)

Unfortunately, we are not able to disclose the specific details that lead us to conclude a product is a counterfeit, since those are highly confidential and disclosing them might aid counterfeiters in their efforts.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 12:30:28 PM »

And which stores are trustworthy? B&H, Sweetwater, Musician's Friend?
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 12:39:41 PM »

Unfortunately, we are not able to disclose the specific details that lead us to conclude a product is a counterfeit, since those are highly confidential and disclosing them might aid counterfeiters in their efforts.

If you have a suspect mic, ask them what areas they want to see and send them pics.  They will respond with a "genuine" or "counterfeit" answer.  They won't disclose what the factors are, and I can't blame them.

We get fake/counterfeit offers from China on a routine basis.  It's amazing what manufacturers have to put up with.  I have no idea what Shure or JBL or EV lose each year to this shit, but it has to be substantial.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 12:41:45 PM »

Makes sense. Will they cover the shipping to have them "inspected"?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »

And which stores are trustworthy? B&H, Sweetwater, Musician's Friend?
Gilliam Music, of course!

:D
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »

If you have a suspect mic, ask them what areas they want to see and send them pics.  They will respond with a "genuine" or "counterfeit" answer.  They won't disclose what the factors are, and I can't blame them.

We get fake/counterfeit offers from China on a routine basis.  It's amazing what manufacturers have to put up with.  I have no idea what Shure or JBL or EV lose each year to this shit, but it has to be substantial.

I understood his reason entirely - it makes perfect sense. I actually just responded and asked if he would be prepared to look over some pics I would send him.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »

Shure has a lot of experience dealing with fakes whenever you have an iconic mass market product (like their phono cartridges back in the day). I expect it is even worse today, but there are better tools for detecting fakes. And no you don't telegraph to the public what those anti-fraud markers are. I suspect there is a product cost associated with this anti-fraud engineering. 

I've even seen counterfeit CS800 amps from China and from SA, so it isn't limited to microphones. (Wood cabinet) speakers probably the worst sku for this. 

Caveat Emptor is written in latin because this problem is that old.  8)

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 01:05:06 PM »

Makes sense. Will they cover the shipping to have them "inspected"?

If my pics are not good enough - I could ask them if they will cover shipping. I doubt it though. I might just move on and going forward be extra vigilant. I think I am safe though with the ones I have.

Barry Singleton

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »

Will they cover the shipping to have them "inspected"?

?!? Why would they? 

If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 01:09:04 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.