ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SM58 fakes....Not so easy to detect?  (Read 31784 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: SM58 fakes....Not so easy to detect?
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:36 PM »

If you have a whole bunch of mics that sound and handle the same, and you are convinced that some are genuine, then all are genuine.  It's that simple.
Probably... :)
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 05:20:03 PM »

If they look the same and sound the same but aren't really, it's mainly a problem for Shure.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »

It is not completely out of the question for a counterfeit mic to behave reasonably close to the SM58, while most counterfeit sellers probably spend more effort on looking the same and less effort on sounding the same.

JR
I'm FAR from anything resembling knowledgeable on the subject, but in retrospect (having read this thread) I know (now) that I have bought and sold fake 58's on evilbay.. not intentionally, but some of the better ones are really hard to discern.
Obvious clues are that they are being shipped from China - well duh!!   ding, ding, ding!
But once they are here (in the US) weight, looks, size, internals, sound, etc. match fairly closely. I still have one in my collection and use it regularly as it sounds fine.
At least I think it's a fake.. :-\

I guess my point here is that for the average "lab lounger", unless the mic sounds like doo, has missing parts and works/sounds-as-advertised, I'd be willing to be most don't even know they have a fake ???

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 03:08:27 PM »

I'm FAR from anything resembling knowledgeable on the subject, but in retrospect (having read this thread) I know (now) that I have bought and sold fake 58's on evilbay.. not intentionally, but some of the better ones are really hard to discern.
Obvious clues are that they are being shipped from China - well duh!!   ding, ding, ding!
But once they are here (in the US) weight, looks, size, internals, sound, etc. match fairly closely. I still have one in my collection and use it regularly as it sounds fine.
At least I think it's a fake.. :-\

I guess my point here is that for the average "lab lounger", unless the mic sounds like doo, has missing parts and works/sounds-as-advertised, I'd be willing to be most don't even know they have a fake ???

Yeah, well the old maxim, you get what you pay for. If you find a "Screaming deal" on something, well, exercise caution. I bought some "great deal!" Sennheiser wireless off of eBay a few years back. Shipped from China (didn't think about it). Two dual units and one single unit. Model numbers weren't on the Sennheiser site, "Not a problem!" claims the seller. I get them, chinese wall-warts, US AC adapters don't fit in them, frequencies don't match, plenty of signs to show they were counterfeits. Out $1200, cos I didn't see it in time to get the charge back through eBay/PayPal.

They were stolen a couple years later... I wonder what the thief thought when they couldn't use them! :D

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Steve Oldridge

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 03:29:18 PM »

Yeah, well the old maxim, you get what you pay for. If you find a "Screaming deal" on something, well, exercise caution.
Agreed 1000%... it's not as if the ones I bought were $35 ea either... or a similar "screaming deal".  Been round the dance floor once or twice before.

The 2 in question were priced just below the others listed - not enough to give ya those tingles - and I missed the china shipping part.  It has always been "buyer beware", but sometimes our eagerness gets in the way.

Ian Routley

SM58 fakes....Not so easy to detect?
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 07:15:40 AM »

Having been through this Saga with an SM57 that had slightly different 'print' to its six brothers, I wonder how many have tested the resistance across pin 2 & 3.  With Shure, quite reasonably, not providing a checklist much of the info out there is incomplete/incorrect.

How much time wasted pulling mic cases apart, pulling out XLR connectors, and checking cartridges!?

I have convinced myself my SM57 is fine, like its siblings bought from Authorised Shure agents.

Luckily all the SM58s Beta58A and the beta87A came from authorised Shure dealers.

This MUST harm the resale of used gear!  Lucky I'm a hoarder.

Check the website before buying.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 07:20:56 AM by Ian Routley »

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2014, 11:39:36 AM »

We all know wired mics are largely pirated, but does anyone know if the same happens with Shure wireless mics?
I'm searching for a SLX system and I've found a broad price range in ebay. I'm afraid they are pirated as well, any thoughts?
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 01:21:01 PM »

We all know wired mics are largely pirated, but does anyone know if the same happens with Shure wireless mics?
I'm searching for a SLX system and I've found a broad price range in ebay. I'm afraid they are pirated as well, any thoughts?
Well, if you heed my story from above:
Yeah, well the old maxim, you get what you pay for. If you find a "Screaming deal" on something, well, exercise caution. I bought some "great deal!" Sennheiser wireless off of eBay a few years back. Shipped from China (didn't think about it). Two dual units and one single unit. Model numbers weren't on the Sennheiser site, "Not a problem!" claims the seller. I get them, chinese wall-warts, US AC adapters don't fit in them, frequencies don't match, plenty of signs to show they were counterfeits. Out $1200, cos I didn't see it in time to get the charge back through eBay/PayPal.
Sennheiser, not Shure, but wireless systems are also commonly counterfeited. I know that the manufacturers aggressively seek out pirates and try to shut them down, but they don't catch anything. First thing to take note is their origin. If it's China or Hong Kong, you may want to be cautious.

If you are looking to purchase new, there are plenty of Shure dealers on here (myself included) that would be happy to get you a great deal on a new system, and then you'd know it's legit.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2014, 01:39:59 PM »

Counterfeit is the word.  Illegitimate.  Phony.  Those work, also.

And if the super deal on a used set seems suspicious, walk away from it, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Airton Pereira

• The Knutz
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »

[quote author=Ray Aberle
If you are looking to purchase new, there are plenty of Shure dealers on here (myself included) that would be happy to get you a great deal on a new system, and then you'd know it's legit.

-Ray
[/quote]

Actually, I could not yet decide between Sennheiser ew 100 and Shure SLX. Perhaps you can help me? But first, can you ship to Brazil?
Drummer and Sound Engineer for The Knutz.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2014, 03:19:10 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.