ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: SM58 fakes....Not so easy to detect?  (Read 31777 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: SM58 fakes....Not so easy to detect?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 10:14:45 AM »

I would guess your variations are due to the passage of time and various revisions. Mics manufacturerd before 2003 are likely to not have the garbage can/X (otherwise known as the WEEE symbol, a part of ROHS) as these didn't exist at that time. I can't imagine there aren't more variations than this, and would guess the guidelines put out for recognizing genuine vs counterfeits are more geared towards "new" purchases than verifying models that have been in inventory for 20 years.

Right....makes sense to me. That is the conclusion I came to when I started to notice the subtle variations in all of mine. They span over 30 years so it is reasonable to make that assumption.
I think a lot of the sweeping statements made about the differences between real and fake are guesses which causes my confusion because if each indicator to a fake was in fact true, all mine would be fake including my 2 oldest ones - both of which are over 30 years old. (And still going strong, looking good and sounding as good as they did back then!!)
All I have had to do is replace the foam on the capsule of the oldest one last year. Over the years it must have been used for well over 2000 gigs. It even still has the original dome - no dents !!!
It was my own personal mic till I retired from singing a few years back.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »

The one fake SM58 I bought off of Ebay did not have a transformer in it.  Instead of glue holding in what would have been the transformer, there was a wadded up tissue holding the wires still.  From the outside, I couldn't tell a difference.

Oh my....did you claim through ebay?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »

The one fake SM58 I bought off of Ebay did not have a transformer in it.  Instead of glue holding in what would have been the transformer, there was a wadded up tissue holding the wires still.  From the outside, I couldn't tell a difference.

Was it a secondhand one? Some people mod their microphones, and removing the transformer from 57/58 seems to be a popular mod in some circles. Why someone would want to remove the bit that gives the 57 its character, I don't know, but there you go.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 11:03:18 AM »

Oh my....did you claim through ebay?

Yes, the seller seemed unaware he was selling counterfeit goods and promptly refunded my purchase.  I will no longer buy SM57's or SM58's off of Ebay.  It's just too difficult to tell the difference, especially when you can't examine one closely.

Was it a secondhand one? Some people mod their microphones, and removing the transformer from 57/58 seems to be a popular mod in some circles. Why someone would want to remove the bit that gives the 57 its character, I don't know, but there you go.

As I recall, this one was sold as new.  I was aware of that mod but this didn't have any signs of once having a transformer installed (glue residue, etc).

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 11:18:50 AM »

It's just too difficult to tell the difference, especially when you can't examine one closely.

I'm with you, Corey.  At this point, I can't see me EVER buying a 57/58 other than new from a store I trust.  Just too many fakes, the fakes are getting more indistinguishable every day.  I'm not into wasting money, but even a 1/2 price deal is too much risk for me.

Debbie, I understand you would like validation of what you have in  inventory.  I'd talk with the Shure folks - I think they have folks there that can help with possible counterfeits. 
frank

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:50 AM »

I'm with you, Corey.  At this point, I can't see me EVER buying a 57/58 other than new from a store I trust.  Just too many fakes, the fakes are getting more indistinguishable every day.  I'm not into wasting money, but even a 1/2 price deal is too much risk for me.

Debbie, I understand you would like validation of what you have in  inventory.  I'd talk with the Shure folks - I think they have folks there that can help with possible counterfeits. 
frank

Yes..I going to make the call to Shure and get the info straight from the horses mouth - I'd just like to know.

Anything sold as something other than what it really is blatant fraud.
I have NOTHING against knock-offs generally if there is a demand for them - budget etc - just not for me. But they should be clearly marked as such. This is out and out theft!

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

A friend of mine showed me his Beta 58 that he got for a really "good" price.  Box, manual, everything looked like a real beta 58, but the minute he handed it to me I could feel that it was too light.  The weight was a dead give away.  Fortunately he was able to get his money back.  The fakes are so good, the only way to be sure is to buy froma trusted dealer.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »

I just sent a message to Shure asking for definitive markers to be able to know for 'SHURE' whether an SM is a fake or not. I'll share whatever info I get back from them.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 12:07:53 PM »

A friend of mine showed me his Beta 58 that he got for a really "good" price.  Box, manual, everything looked like a real beta 58, but the minute he handed it to me I could feel that it was too light.  The weight was a dead give away.  Fortunately he was able to get his money back.  The fakes are so good, the only way to be sure is to buy froma trusted dealer.

If people are made aware of just how prevalent this problem has become, we will all be able to make better decisions resulting in fewer disappointments.

Tom Burgess

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »

IMO as relatively inexpensive as 57's / 58's are these days why would you take the risk of getting a fake?
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 12:12:05 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.