ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Clock at 44.1 or 48??  (Read 8750 times)

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Clock at 44.1 or 48??
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 01:57:45 PM »

My understanding is with src turned on I can feed the 48 from the board and it will convert to 44.1... The issues is really playing CD's at 44.1 back to the board that is running at 48. I guess I could send to the Tascam using the optical and return it analog??

On another issue with this setup, I have allot of headroom usually and rarely have the master fader at unity. It seems that any changes to my master fader will change the input levels to the recorder. I am taking the stereo outputs and patching them to the digital output.

Just trying to be able to make basic board recordings. How are others handling this?

You should really be slaving the tascam off the Console, it is best to run the AD converters on the pre's off their clock source rather than another clock source, running them off another clock source will likely introduce more jitter specially considering that this is a cd player we are talking about.

I will do some research for you on how to do this if I get time but I am pretty sure someone here will be able to supply you with the information or you can attempt to google it. As others have said it really doesn't make a lot of difference between 44.1 and 48 kHz, the difference can really only be heard around and above 18kHz.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 02:06:11 PM »

If the console is running at 48k the CD cannot be in sync with it because the console does not have SRC. To play back a CD digitally you either have to clock at 44.1k or have SRC on the digital input you are using.

Mac

That makes sense. The src needs to be on the receiving side of the signal.
Steven Alves
South Florida Sound, Fort Lauderdale, FL
www.southfloridasound.com

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 02:26:28 PM »

I will do some research for you on how to do this if I get time but I am pretty sure someone here will be able to supply you with the information or you can attempt to google it. As others have said it really doesn't make a lot of difference between 44.1 and 48 kHz, the difference can really only be heard around and above 18kHz.

Thanks, tried the Google route but the key to Google is having the right search phrase,,, I don't..
Steven Alves

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 02:51:59 PM »

You should really be slaving the tascam off the Console, it is best to run the AD converters on the pre's off their clock source rather than another clock source, running them off another clock source will likely introduce more jitter specially considering that this is a cd player we are talking about.

With all due respect, we're talking about using an 01v96 in a live situation.  Whatever jitter there may be is beyond insignificant in light of the other factors that actually can affect sound quality - namely talent, stage volume, room acoustics, speaker quality, etc.

The only reason I would prefer to run the 01v off its internal clock is the risk of my bumping the power button on the CDR with my knee, causing audio to stop due to losing clock source.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »

Just trying to be able to make basic board recordings. How are others handling this?
If you're simply trying to take board recordings, set your 01v to 44K, clock the CDR from the board, and get-er-done.  You're over thinking this.

Your other option, of course, is to use the "i" function of your new 01v and record via USB to a computer.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »

On another issue with this setup, I have allot of headroom usually and rarely have the master fader at unity. It seems that any changes to my master fader will change the input levels to the recorder. I am taking the stereo outputs and patching them to the digital output.

Not only does the master fader change the record level, but the recording also gets any EQ that you've done to the main mix.  To get around this, I double bus everything to both the main stereo mix and a pair of groups.  I like to feed the PA with the groups, and have the master fader on the top layer for adjusting the record level, but you can do whatever works for you. 

Since I usually want more gain in the record feed (since, like you, I tend to leave a lot of headroom on the PA feed), I also stick a bus compressor with some makeup gain on the record feed, so my record level stays closer to 0 dBFS, but is still protected from going over.

Unless there is a compelling reason reason to use a different sampling rate, I try to stick with 44.1 to simplify connections to CD players and recorders.  I don't think there's an audible difference, and this study seems to confirm my suspicions.

http://www.drewdaniels.com/audible.pdf

GTD

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 03:04:32 PM »

Your other option, of course, is to use the "i" function of your new 01v and record via USB to a computer.

I prefer using Studio manager and not having to deal with Cubase. I use an iPad to mix sometimes and keep studio manager on screen.
Steven Alves

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2014, 03:13:23 PM »

My suggestion: Set the console as master at 48K, use Geoff's technique to independently control record level and let the CD player SRC the input, feed your CD playback back via Analog.

Do not run the board at 48 and feed it a 44K digital signal.
Mark McFarlane

Steve Alves

• South Florida
    • South Florida Sound
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »

My suggestion: Set the console as master at 48K, use Geoff's technique to independently control record level and let the CD player SRC the input, feed your CD playback back via Analog.

Do not run the board at 48 and feed it a 44K digital signal.

Agreed....
Steven Alves

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 05:09:30 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.