ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Slim Stage Monitor Ideas?  (Read 13098 times)

Benjamin Gingerich

• LifeSound AV
Re: Slim Stage Monitor Ideas?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 02:39:31 PM »

Have been asked to quote our new stage monitors to a conventional/conservative style of church.

They need monitors desperately but refuse to use a standard stage monitor/ floor wedge due to it's "hideous look on stage". They've asked for something very low profile and slim. And an option to integrate it into a recessed design concept. My father is a fabricator and said he'd create something that we could easily mount a slim speaker to that could be kept or flipped down when not in use and then flipped up when in use.

Is flying the monitors an option? If so then you could keep them off the stage, have a defined coverage area weather you want 1 speaker to cover each small area of the stage or 1 speaker to cover the whole stage.

Benjamin Gingerich
Project Manager - LifeSound Av - Macon, Georgia
Air Force Reserves- Electrical Power Production
AA Electrical & Mechanical Engineering

Ben Brunskill

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 12:19:41 AM »

I’d demo a few boxes and let them listen. A nice compact stage mon is going to sound vastly better than some rigged up line array half buried in the stage. The EAW microwedge and Danley LPSM? are both nice low profile boxes.

You could also look at IEM’s where ever possible and only a couple of wedges

Michael Elphinstone

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 07:05:30 PM »

I’d demo a few boxes and let them listen. A nice compact stage mon is going to sound vastly better than some rigged up line array half buried in the stage. The EAW microwedge and Danley LPSM? are both nice low profile boxes.

You could also look at IEM’s where ever possible and only a couple of wedges

+1

Microwedges sound great and are very small too. Unfortunately they're too expensive in Australia for me though.

If they don't want any boxes on stage, go IEMs. This will require more effort on their part to make the transition.

jason misterka

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2014, 07:10:18 PM »

Have been asked to quote our new stage monitors to a conventional/conservative style of church.

They need monitors desperately but refuse to use a standard stage monitor/ floor wedge due to it's "hideous look on stage". They've asked for something very low profile and slim. And an option to integrate it into a recessed design concept. My father is a fabricator and said he'd create something that we could easily mount a slim speaker to that could be kept or flipped down when not in use and then flipped up when in use.

I've looked a lot at JBL line array speakers because they're very slim in design. However once flipped on their side, they'll lose their horizontal dispersion to cover a nice vicinity of the stage on either side of their podium.

Do you know of a good, slim (sound bar style) speaker that has good horizontal dispersion when on it's side, and adequate power rating for live performance use?

These may not work for you but I have had some success with QSC 2x8" speakers.  We mount them to a wall as sidefills or hang them but you could perhaps integrate them into the stage.

Microwedges are fantastic but are expensive. Depends on your budget.

Jason

Edit: I noticed QSC did add a bunch of new speaker models to their website.  The model I am referring  to and have installed in three or four places is the QSC AD-S282H.  Low profile when on its side, and a rotatable HF.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:18:43 PM by jason misterka »

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 05:31:04 PM »

Sam-

You might also think about low-profile, small footprint wedges that may not visually upset the powers-that-be. A great wedge that would fit the bill is the Fulcrum Acoustic FX896, shown here:

fulcrum-acoustic.com/products/tq-install.html#FX_Series

How much would a custom (furniture) finish help ?
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2014, 05:59:16 PM »

Sam-

You might also think about low-profile, small footprint wedges that may not visually upset the powers-that-be. A great wedge that would fit the bill is the Fulcrum Acoustic FX896, shown here:

How much would a custom (furniture) finish help ?

Flower arrangements in front of each wedge....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 09:21:21 PM »

Flower arrangements in front of each wedge....

Whatever floats "their" boat.....and does not mess up the sound  ;-)
Tom Young
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Matthew Donadio

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 06:16:21 PM »

Don't want to derail things, but we got rid of our wedges for hotspots before I came on board, and I sob softly every time I have to do a bigger concert.  How do these, and other low-profile / small footprint, monitors sound off-axis?

Tom Young

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 08:03:22 AM »

Don't want to derail things, but we got rid of our wedges for hotspots before I came on board, and I sob softly every time I have to do a bigger concert.  How do these, and other low-profile / small footprint, monitors sound off-axis?

What do you mean by "off axis" ?

Well-designed full-range speakers should sound fine when listened to off axis but within the coverage limits of the speaker. The loudspeakers I have recommended here do the job quite well.

Hotspots, defined as a very small spot monitor with dual full-range cone drivers driven with the same signal, are fairly well-known for lousy (ragged) response that changes significantly across the coverage area. They cannot help but behave badly due to the inherent combfiltering from the 2 drivers.
Tom Young
Oxford CT
203-888-6217

Matthew Donadio

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »

What do you mean by "off axis" ?

Thanks Tom.  By "off axis" I meant within the normal coverage pattern, just not with the thing pointed directly at the musician's head.  I wasn't sure if the slimmer cabinet affected this at all.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.