ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Need vocal/stage monitor recommendations for wedding/bar band  (Read 8424 times)

Kenny Friedman

• Professional Musician & Soundman
Need vocal/stage monitor recommendations for wedding/bar band
« on: January 27, 2014, 01:52:04 PM »

Hello

I'm looking to find out what the cool kids are using these days for front-stage wedges.  I'm due for an upgrade.
I have been using these for the past few years, so there's plenty of room for improvement! 
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/pa-cabinets/resound-hd/rs12mhd/

I have a good power amp, so I don't really *need* active cabinets (but I'm not opposed to them)...I'd rather spend the money on better passive cabinets.  No carpet covered!  I like 12" cabs, but would consider a 10" if it sounded good.

What are the expert recommendations in the $400-800 range?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:05:18 PM by Kenny Friedman »
Allen & Heath Qu16
QSC KSubs
QSC KW122s
Yorkville E15Bs
QSC PL3402 Amp
Sennheiser e835 mics

Kenny Friedman

Need stage monitor recommendations for wedding/bar band
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »

deleted duplicate post.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:19:23 PM by Kenny Friedman »
Allen & Heath Qu16
QSC KSubs
QSC KW122s
Yorkville E15Bs
QSC PL3402 Amp
Sennheiser e835 mics

Mike Sullivan

Re: Need vocal/stage monitor recommendations for wedding/bar band
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:25:22 PM »

Hello

I'm looking to find out what the cool kids are using these days for front-stage wedges.  I'm due for an upgrade.
I have been using these for the past few years, so there's plenty of room for improvement! 

I have a good power amp, so I don't really *need* active cabinets (but I'm not opposed to them)...I'd rather spend the money on better passive cabinets.  No carpet covered!  I like 12" cabs, but would consider a 10" if it sounded good.

There are a ton of options out there.  With my rig (which does a lot of mixed work) I use the EV ELX series wedges, but EV released a new line of speakers (ETX) at NAMM this weekend, which are looking promising, and the local dealer told me they sound just as great if not better than the ELX series.  There are plenty of other options out there, including the JBL PRX700 (powered) or PRX400 (passive) series, QSC K and KW series powered wedges, or if you can dish out the $$ I would probably start looking at something RCF, have heard a lot of good things about their stuff.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 02:31:08 PM »

Hello

DSR 112. Somewhat cheap. Somewhat good.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Kenny Friedman

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 02:53:40 PM »

Thanks for the replies so far...

I just inquired with a trusted repair shop -- He's got a pair of QSC k12s (powered) for $850 for the pair/used.

I love my KW122s.  This is tempting, but I don't love the idea of having 2 more things to plug in.
Allen & Heath Qu16
QSC KSubs
QSC KW122s
Yorkville E15Bs
QSC PL3402 Amp
Sennheiser e835 mics

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 04:12:19 PM »

I use EAW Vrm 12's and have always had great comments about them when used for vocals,  acoustic guitar and similar, just don't expect big bass or huge spl.  They have always required very little eq to be stable feedback wise (mainly used with AKG D7 and beta 58 mics).  One down side though is that they are now discontinued but you may be able to pick up some 2nd hand or old, new stock.

Rob Gow

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 04:38:48 PM »

If you want to go passive, I've like my yorkville YX12's and YX 15's. I power them with peavey IPR1600's.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 04:49:24 PM »

Hello

What amp do you have? That will tell us a lot on what monitor to recommend.

roblavender

• Unicorn Artist Management
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 05:33:48 PM »

Hello

Will you be using your QSC PL3402 to power your new monitors?  The next question is how many monitors do need for your band?

Well, I will go with a guesstimate of a 4 or 5 piece wedding band. So you will probably be needing 4 monitors. That QSC PL3402 will crank out 1100 watts at 4 Ohms (both channels driven)

Divide that by 4 gives you 275 watts per monitor. So if you put 2 monitors on each channel of the amp you will have a 4 ohm load. With that power available you are looking for a passive speaker cabinet that calls for 250 watts RMS. 

I'd look at the new Electro-Voice ZLX-12. They are rated at 250 watts RMS and 1,000 watts peak. They can be had for around the $300 mark if you look around. I think that is both an affordable and good sounding solution.

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 06:03:28 PM »

Hello

As a bar band soundman, I have to ask; Have you considered moving to In Ear Monitors?
That is what the "cool kids" are using, and there's nothing better in my opinion. You'll need the right kind of mixer to make it work well, a free send for each monitor mix, etc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 06:03:28 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.