ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your opinion: Entry-Mid-Range Movers/Spots  (Read 4565 times)

Randall Cook

• CRYSTAL HEAR
Your opinion: Entry-Mid-Range Movers/Spots
« on: April 05, 2014, 10:28:11 PM »

I've already tried the "used" route of pro fixtures (HES SS 575) and had terrible luck with the four units I purchased (probably the source they came from).  I have recently sold them and I am looking for two new units of "lower" quality I suppose.
I use Elation Emulation software with a Midicon.
I have been looking at the Elation Platinum Spot 5R.
I've also considered some Chauvet moving spots.
I would like something as close to the HES SS 575 output as I can get, but I know it will be fairly less with the fixtures I'm currently considering.  I am fine with that.
I do not need CMY or zoom features.
I would like the ability to use at least one custom B/W gobo (preferably glass).
I would like prism effect, multiple rotating gobos, and a good set of stock gobos provided.
I'm not sure I want to go the used route again, but if the consensus is to buy used, I'll consider.
I'm hoping to be around the ballpark of $2k per fixture.  At this time I only want two fixtures.  Then I will add two more of the same fixture at a later date.
Let me hear your opinions!
Thank you!

Cailen Waddell

Re: Your opinion: Entry-Mid-Range Movers/Spots
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 10:46:44 PM »

Not quite as bright but the Chauvet qspot 560 is a good little unit.  In small to medium venues it is more than adequate.

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 03:21:23 AM »

I've already tried the "used" route of pro fixtures (HES SS 575) and had terrible luck with the four units I purchased (probably the source they came from).  I have recently sold them and I am looking for two new units of "lower" quality I suppose.
I use Elation Emulation software with a Midicon.
I have been looking at the Elation Platinum Spot 5R.
I've also considered some Chauvet moving spots.
I would like something as close to the HES SS 575 output as I can get, but I know it will be fairly less with the fixtures I'm currently considering.  I am fine with that.
I do not need CMY or zoom features.
I would like the ability to use at least one custom B/W gobo (preferably glass).
I would like prism effect, multiple rotating gobos, and a good set of stock gobos provided.
I'm not sure I want to go the used route again, but if the consensus is to buy used, I'll consider.
I'm hoping to be around the ballpark of $2k per fixture.  At this time I only want two fixtures.  Then I will add two more of the same fixture at a later date.
Let me hear your opinions!
Thank you!

If you don't mind LEDs, I've had pretty good luck with Blizzard Lighting Torrent F3 and F5 movers.  They are fast, bright, and have held up very well.

JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:40:50 PM »

We've had great luck with the Chauvet Intimidator Spot LED 350.  I think they retail for around 850 or so.  Has rotating gobs, prism, and easy interchangeable gobos.  Not as bright as a 575, closer to somewhere between 250-350W fixture but its a great bang for the buck.

Josh Daws

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »

i don't recommend the chauvet qspot560, especially since the Martin MH1 spot is only a +/- $100ish more...

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:12 AM »

I would call it 6 of one, half dozen of the other...  Martin's rush line is made in china, possibly on the same or similar line than the Chauvet, so I would expect (and have heard from my dealer friends) that build quality is about the same.    We have a dozen qspots and the only problem I have had is a pan sensor needed a hair of adjustment out of the box.  But other people have had other experiences, and I respect that.  Both the rush and the Chauvet should be able to be had for $1600 to $1700 if you have a dealer you work with regularly and they like you.

Josh Daws

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:17:36 AM »

i have had an 80% failure rate on the 12 that the production company i work for purchased. i don't recommend them. i have used both now and the optics etc in the MH-1 are much better, the onscreen display is much nicer for navigating, and no to mention that it is Martin (China or not).

the build quality is similar, but the Chauvet Units are little clunkier mainly due to the size of the head. but honestly when we have had the working and (the still seem to be) i must admit that i don't mind them. just the technology change in the LED and the optics make the Martin Fixture way more appealing. well at least to me...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:23:08 AM by Josh Daws »

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »

i have had an 80% failure rate on the 12 that the production company i work for purchased. i don't recommend them. i have used both now and the optics etc in the MH-1 are much better, the onscreen display is much nicer for navigating, and no to mention that it is Martin (China or not).

the build quality is similar, but the Chauvet Units are little clunkier mainly due to the size of the head. but honestly when we have had the working and (the still seem to be) i must admit that i don't mind them. just the technology change in the LED and the optics make the Martin Fixture way more appealing. well at least to me...

We had a similar experience with our Elation 5Rs, the replacements have been flawless for a few years now though...
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 11:04:05 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.