ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Just a reminder to check the power at your distro as well as the wall.  (Read 33072 times)

Jerome Malsack

Re: Just a reminder to check the power at your distro as well as the wall.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »

In the Navy we used Casualty power cables that were marked with color and texture. 

See note clipped. 

Casualty power terminals and casualty power cable conductors
are marked to identify (both by sight and by touch) the A, B, and C phases. Older-style casualty power cables
terminate at each end in individual conductors with copper ferrules. Rings of twine or 0-rings are applied over
the conductor insulation so that the phases can be identified by sight and touch. The A phase has one ring; the
B phase, two rings; and the C phase1 three rings. More recent casualty power cables are provided at each end
with a three-phase, keyed plug (a plug that can be plugged only into the proper phases of the casualty power
terminal).

The terminal also had the rings to indicate that your connecting the correct section of wire to the correct terminal connection. 

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 07:19:54 PM »

Neither do I.  If they are just a single conductor, how are they used?  And what prevents you from connecting them to the wrong place?

EDIT:  Just found this:

That seems like a crazy way to connect things.

We would use one of these:

Steve.
I have seen those on gigs too.  The cams are for the next size or 2 up in current available.  Typically 400A lines.  Normally only specific people on the gig are allowed to make the connections. 
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Lyle Williams

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 08:12:39 PM »

The problem with the multipin plugs is that there are so many different variants.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 08:22:23 PM »

As for a proper check, I should have given a tug on each end before mating it.

Also applies to wire nuts. Whenever I install a wire nut, I tug on each of the wires individually to make sure they are secure. So many times a wire has pulled out... and I'm glad I gave it that tug.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 09:57:50 AM »

Neither do I.  If they are just a single conductor, how are they used?  And what prevents you from connecting them to the wrong place?

EDIT:  Just found this:

That seems like a crazy way to connect things.

We would use one of these:

Steve.
I am seeing more configurations ( in Canada) with the ground and neutral the reverse connection genter to the 3 phases so it's more difficult to make a "hot / ground-neutral " swap error.
As for multi connectors, I have not seen one (as yet) that would do 400 amps per leg.
I'm sure they are available but would probably be expensive and a PITA!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 11:47:19 AM »

I am seeing more configurations ( in Canada) with the ground and neutral the reverse connection genter to the 3 phases so it's more difficult to make a "hot / ground-neutral " swap error.
As for multi connectors, I have not seen one (as yet) that would do 400 amps per leg.
I'm sure they are available but would probably be expensive and a PITA!
Plus the weight of the copper... I prefer single pole cams because 100' of #2 wire is easier to carry then 5x100' of #2 wire. :D OK, so I have to make five trips-- I still prefer to have home run lengths if possible, minimizing the connectors along the way (like if I, say, had 4-25' lengths of bundled #2, and had to connect all of them together...). Also minimizes the expense of buying lots of cam ends at $18-$25 each!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »

Plus the weight of the copper... I prefer single pole cams because 100' of #2 wire is easier to carry then 5x100' of #2 wire. :D OK, so I have to make five trips-- I still prefer to have home run lengths if possible, minimizing the connectors along the way (like if I, say, had 4-25' lengths of bundled #2, and had to connect all of them together...). Also minimizes the expense of buying lots of cam ends at $18-$25 each!

-Ray

Not to mention that inspectors don't like to find many connectors in a single run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 01:03:49 PM »

I have seen those on gigs too.  The cams are for the next size or 2 up in current available.  Typically 400A lines.  Normally only specific people on the gig are allowed to make the connections.

The one in the picture is 415 volt, 32 amp.  There are 63 amp and 126 amp versions.

No restriction on who can plug them in here.  Not sure why there would be as it's just plugging something in, not connecting up bare wires.

Steve.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2014, 01:08:42 PM »

The one in the picture is 415 volt, 32 amp.  There are 63 amp and 126 amp versions.

No restriction on who can plug them in here.  Not sure why there would be as it's just plugging something in, not connecting up bare wires.

Steve.
We don't have the luxury of 415v distribution, which is why we end up with 200A and 400A services as a matter of course.  Cams are more regulated than lesser-capacity means, as they can be more easily incorrectly connected (as well as partially connected) than a cord and plug connector.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »

Not to mention that inspectors don't like to find many connectors in a single run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
You just mentioned it!!

Plus there's the thought of voltage capacity of the feeder and lower rating for cable bundled as an SOOW cable (2/5 or whatever) as opposed to the single poles. I know people using 2/4 SOOW for their cam feed- not my preference, but eh, their choice.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:35 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.