ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 9-Volt Battery Danger  (Read 3984 times)

Mike Sokol

  • Moderator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3055
  • Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 09:49:04 pm »

A guy laid some sheet metal on top of an old "dead" car battery he was hauling to the scrap dealer. It blew up as he was driving down the road to the scrap dealer. i told him never short the terminals of any dead battery. Don't put a round battery in your pocket if its got coins or keys. there's always a possibility of the coins or keys to make contact with both ends.

Many people underestimate the power of a low-voltage/high-amperage bettery source. We used to cut Polaroid flat-pack batteries with a pair of scissors and watch them catch on fire. And as you note, car batteries have a lot of amperage capability. When I worked in a garage in my teen years, a mechanic got his wedding band caught between a wrench on the positive terminal of a car battery and the frame. It welded the ring to the wrench and the frame, then dumped a few hundred amps of current through his wedding ring, heating it cherry red in a few seconds while it was still on his finger. He finally yanked the wrench loose and ran to the sink to submerge his hand under water. The emergency room nurse said he was lucky to not lose his finger from the burns. I also saw a car battery blown up by a short which boiled out sulfuric acid and hydrogen gas before it ignited and went boom. Yikes... 

Got to take battery safety seriously.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:20:20 am by Mike Sokol »
Logged

Jay Barracato

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1811
  • Solomons, MD
Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 10:48:37 pm »

In the army, we made hand warmers from the used 9v batteries from the miles gear while on field problems.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Logged
Jay Barracato

Chris Hindle

  • SR Forums
  • Hero Member
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1052
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: 9-Volt Battery Danger
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2014, 04:25:20 am »

When I worked in a garage in my teen years, a mechanic got his wedding band caught between a wrench on the positive terminal of a car battery and the frame. It welded the ring to the wrench and the frame, then dumped a few hundred amps of current through his wedding ring, heating it cherry red in a few seconds while it was still on his finger. He finally yanked the wrench loose and ran to the sink to submerge his hand under water. The emergency room nurse said he was lucky to not lose his finger from the burns. I also saw a car battery blown up by a short which boiled out sulfuric acid and hydrogen gas before it ignited and went boom. Yikes... 

Got to take battery safety seriously.
When I took the test for my mechanics license, I walked up to the first station, pulled off my watch and put it in my pocket. The tester noticed this, and asked me "Why?" I replied "I don't wear anything that can get snagged while I am working." He rolled up his sleeve, and showed me a wicked scar, and said "25 years ago, I wore a bracelet that got stuck while I was working behind a dashboard. This is the result. Don't even wear a ring. You get extra points towards your license."
Common sense, and that advise has served me well in the past 30 something years.
Electric ... good.
Electric with bling .... bad, very bad.
Logged
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
 


Page created in 0.317 seconds with 23 queries.