ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas Unveils M32 Digital Mixing Console  (Read 37329 times)

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
Re: Midas Unveils M32 Digital Mixing Console
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 10:51:59 PM »

I really wanted the X32 to work for me for musical theater but the limited cue capabilities wouldn’t work for me. I haven’t been following the X32 software updates so I don’t know if it is only on the M32 but it looks like it handles 500 cues. It is worded a little bit interestingly it says it handles 100 scenes and 500 cues. So I am real interested in how they implement that.

Does anyone know when this is supposed to be available and who will be selling it? Will a dealer that currently sells the X32 be allowed to sell the M32?

You can have 100 snippets and 100 scenes. The 500 cues can be made up of any scene + any snippet, so you have a lot of flexibility to construct the 500 cues. Basically, you use the scenes for the big changes, and laying the foundations, and snippets for small changes, like an effect change, mute changes etc.

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2014, 12:23:53 AM »

You can have 100 snippets and 100 scenes. The 500 cues can be made up of any scene + any snippet, so you have a lot of flexibility to construct the 500 cues. Basically, you use the scenes for the big changes, and laying the foundations, and snippets for small changes, like an effect change, mute changes etc.

Well it looks like the X32 version 2. beta does the exact same things. I am going to need to get my hands on that and see if it fits my needs.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2014, 02:01:37 AM »

I prefer the KISS principle - just give me 200 scenes.  Or give me a choice between methods.

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2014, 05:54:41 AM »

Well it looks like the X32 version 2. beta does the exact same things. I am going to need to get my hands on that and see if it fits my needs.

Yes, there is no firmware difference except the logo.

jason misterka

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2014, 07:57:19 AM »

Yes, there is no firmware difference except the logo.

You all say that as a bad thing.

I've never used the x32 and so obviously not v2 software either.  So maybe it is a bad thing.  Lots of people seem to like the x32 software. Or maybe it's like it always is and people just like what they chose to buy.

But the thing that makes me wary of buying an M32 for this season is confirming that the software is stable right out of the box.

Midas had some serious issues with the PRO software for longer than I feel was acceptable.  They are mostly resolved now.  But I do not want to willingly put myself through that again.

That being said, the Midas PRO consoles are my current favorites, sound great, have a fairly spectacular feature set for the money.  I'm happy using  even a PRO 2c for FOH or monitors even at festivals or showcases.  There is a learning curve but it is worth it IMO.  Or maybe I am just liking it because I chose to buy it...

If the M32 sounds like a PRO desk, is stable, friendly to use, has a good screen, and integrates with our PRO stage boxes, for $5000 MAP I am stupid not to buy some even if it is just to limit the miles we put on our larger more expensive desks or to be an emergency spare.

But I may wait a bit to make sure they will actually be available and will operate as desired.

Jason

jason misterka

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2014, 08:15:34 AM »

Ps I would love a Midas PRO version of the rack mounted x32.

That would be an incredible matrix mixer for console switching at festivals and arenas.  I would just worry about maintaining iPad control without glitches in the arena. 

But to have at least a16x8 matrixing box with enough inputs and mic preamps for several MCs, video, and playback as well as three band consoles.  To have AES50 from our other Midas consoles, AES3 from any band Avids and AES50 output to the network bridge for Dante to the amps.

Like an APB mix switch but with digital IO and many more ins and outs.  Sounds kinda like a Lab Gruppen LM 44 but with more IO and without Lake control.

Now I just need to get Dante working right between all my devices, that has only been a year long project.

Sorry for the topic swerve.

Jason
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 08:17:50 AM by jason misterka »

Stuart Miller

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2014, 09:03:44 AM »

I was hoping the "Never in the History..." offering might be a rack-mount console, sort of equivalent to what Digico offers with their SD11 models. Oh well!

I recently ended up purchasing a Pro1 and am very happy with my purchase decision. I could be happier if a rack-mount version of a Pro1 would be available, for the smaller footprint, which is what I was hoping the M32 console would be.

I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I don't care for the appearance of  the M32 so would not be something I'd want.
Not that looks are everything but one of the reasons I opted for the Pro1 (aside from the reputation for sound quality, robustness, etc) was the color-coding possibilities.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that a rack-mount Pro1 option will come down the pike at some point.

Stu

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2014, 10:04:28 AM »

Not that looks are everything but one of the reasons I opted for the Pro1 (aside from the reputation for sound quality, robustness, etc) was the color-coding possibilities.
If you mean colour coding of LCD scribble strips, then the X32/M32 has this.  Not as bright as the Pro series, granted, but there.

Stuart Miller

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2014, 11:33:02 AM »

If you mean colour coding of LCD scribble strips, then the X32/M32 has this.  Not as bright as the Pro series, granted, but there.

Yes the X32 does. The M32 didn't exist when I bought the Pro1. There were two reasons I didn't consider the X32:
1. Behringer's reputation prior to the introduction of the X32. I have some Behringer products that are not very good. Fortunately they were'nt so expensive, though they turned out to be a waste of time and money because of their poor quality, etc.

Therefore, I couldn't bring myself to be one of the 'guinea pigs' for the X32. Maybe after a year or two, after seeing how the X32 holds up, but I wanted to get a digital console now, so the Behringer X32 wasn't a consideration.

2. The X32 footprint was too large for me. What I really wanted was the footprint of the Digico SD11, but I couldn't justify the cost of the SD11, so it was down to the Pro1 and a couple of others; with the Pro1 being more money that I really wanted to spend.

I was seriously looking at the Soundcraft Si Expression model that could be rack-mounted, and it was #1 on my list of four consoles I was considering, mostly because it was rack-mountable so fit my footprint preference; but I wasn't sure I would be able to deal with the lack of scribble strips with multiple layers, etc.

I ended up getting a Pro1, after getting a demo of it from a Midas rep.

I'm new to digital boards, so the Midas seemed overwhelming at first but after the demo I got I thought I'd be able to get my hands around it after some short time period. It was very frustrating at first (the user manual, IMHO, falls way short of what I believe a User manual should be - especially for a product of the Pro1's quality) but things are falling into place now and I'm really enjoying working with the Pro1 :)

Had the M32 been introduced earlier I wouldn't have considered it because its footprint is larger than I wanted.

Stu

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 01:07:10 PM »

I was seriously looking at the Soundcraft Si Expression model that could be rack-mounted, and it was #1 on my list of four consoles I was considering, mostly because it was rack-mountable so fit my footprint preference; but I wasn't sure I would be able to deal with the lack of scribble strips with multiple layers, etc.

Getting little attention this week is the Soundcraft Performer 1, which was also released at NAMM. Rack Mountable, has Scribble Strips, and two years late.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2014, 01:07:10 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 25 queries.