ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Channel layouts, what do you use?  (Read 12725 times)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
Re: Channel layouts, what do you use?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2014, 02:28:28 PM »

I know you're getting a different mixer but as an FYI, you can have any "channel" or DCA on any fader you want with the use of the user layer.

I have my user set up for channel 1 as Drum DCA and then on layer 2 I have a guitar DCA, a vocals DCA and a whole band DCA. When you set up users you can select any input/output channel you want on a fader, then you just have to press the USER button above the layers buttons to have those "active".

In actuality you could make your first channels your DCA's 1-8 then 9-24 could be your "money channels" and the rest can live on layer 2 on channels 25-48.

It'll take about 5 minutes to set up, easy peasey!

I like having more control of the individual elements of the drum kit, so I never put the whole kit on one DCA.

I made heavy use of user layers with the Roland board, mostly so I could have video and iPod playback on the same layer as everything else. I also used a BGV DCA, but also had each of the BGV channels on the same layer so I could adjust the blend between them when needed. Only thing I ever had to change layers for was the effects returns.

Mixed my last service on the Roland this weekend, by this Wednesday I'll be on an X32.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2014, 02:36:18 PM »

Lovin' my GLD.  Every layer is a user layer. Just drag and drop any channel/bus/aux/efx function onto any slot on the surface using the touch screen.  Need to insert a channel in the middle or rearrange, no problem, the GLD slides everything over.

One feature A&H did really well.

Given all that, my setup is, from L>R:

Drums, other inst, vocals, busses, Sub, LR, C, Master DCA.

I used to have the money channel always on strip one (left)  but as the consoles got wider...

I use GLD soft keys to switch between different mixes, so press 'Mon 1' or "Subs" or "Center" and all the faders are now showing their contribution to that mix.  Very similar function to the 'fader flip' Aux buttons on an 01V96, except you can have them for any mix or assigment (main, aux, effects, bus,...)

Life is good.

Mark McFarlane

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2014, 02:59:13 PM »

I like having more control of the individual elements of the drum kit, so I never put the whole kit on one DCA.

I made heavy use of user layers with the Roland board, mostly so I could have video and iPod playback on the same layer as everything else. I also used a BGV DCA, but also had each of the BGV channels on the same layer so I could adjust the blend between them when needed. Only thing I ever had to change layers for was the effects returns.

Mixed my last service on the Roland this weekend, by this Wednesday I'll be on an X32.

The Mixing Station android app lets you build a custom layer, and the app can be an extension of the "surface" in real time.

The iPad X32 app doesn't have the custom layer but can also be used as a surface extension.

/hint

Things like all the drum kit on 1 DCA, or not, is a preference that typically becomes habit even if a mixer offers alternate work flow solutions, like POP groups on Midas or VCA/Group Spill on Avid VENUE.  A lot depends on the drummer, genre or the song arrangements, too, but mostly it's a matter of what workflow we learned when we started using tools like VCAs.

I've said this a couple of times but I'll say it again:  I really, really didn't want to like the X32.  It's "the B word" and I've not been impressed with their products (origin issues or they just didn't sound/work right) or reliability.  Support?  Wha. huh?  Things appear to be different at least with this product series and my private communications with Joe and others have been very satisfactory.  There is nothing wrong with the "sound" of the X32, and how well one gets along with the UI is a matter of practice and time on the desk, just like any other new product.  They've put a lot of functionality into a pretty small "priceprint."  Make no mistake, it's not a Pro2 in design or expandability; it's not Yamaha in terms of proven reliability; it's a value product engineered to hit a particular feature/price ratio.  Right now it appears that Behringer has found that ratio.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2014, 03:21:16 PM »

The Mixing Station android app lets you build a custom layer, and the app can be an extension of the "surface" in real time.
+1

That app keeps getting better and better. I've used it live once(I used a combo of it and my iPad) and was very impressed. They just added the ability to edit the effects too; hopefully the dev gets it up-to-date with the v2 firmware when it comes out. I think a Nexus 10 tablet is in my future(whenever Google gets around to releasing the new version) instead of a new iPad. :)

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 03:47:57 PM »

Lovin' my GLD.  Every layer is a user layer. Just drag and drop any channel/bus/aux/efx function onto any slot on the surface using the touch screen.  Need to insert a channel in the middle or rearrange, no problem, the GLD slides everything over.

One feature A&H did really well.

Given all that, my setup is, from L>R:

Drums, other inst, vocals, busses, Sub, LR, C, Master DCA.

I used to have the money channel always on strip one (left)  but as the consoles got wider...

I use GLD soft keys to switch between different mixes, so press 'Mon 1' or "Subs" or "Center" and all the faders are now showing their contribution to that mix.  Very similar function to the 'fader flip' Aux buttons on an 01V96, except you can have them for any mix or assigment (main, aux, effects, bus,...)

Life is good.

Yeah if we could have afforded a GLD I'd have pounced on it. But, we couldn't.

That mixing station app looks nifty! I'll have to try it out.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

I really, really didn't want to like the X32.  It's "the B word" and I've not been impressed with their products (origin issues or they just didn't sound/work right) or reliability.  Support?  Wha. huh?  Things appear to be different at least with this product series

I approached it from the other direction.  Despite their history, I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.  It certainly looked good and I hoped it was an improvement on their previous products - which it was.

I certainly can't compare it to any other digital desk as the X32 is the only one I have used but I found it intuitive to use.  Also, from what I have seen of the Soundcraft Expression and Compact, these seem even more logical and intuitive.

Steve.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.