ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: GLD80 questions  (Read 43380 times)

Steve O'Connor

Re: GLD80 questions
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »

I have my first gig with the GLD on Friday night. I volunteered to do an open mic night for free for a crowd of musician/friends.  Seems like a good way to learn the board in earnest.

I must say, so far I am extremely impressed with the flexibility and ergonomics,  A lot of excellent thought/expereience went into designing this UI.  It's a huge leap from my decade old 01V96.

With 28 faders and the ability to gang and hide channels, and Groups/DCAs, I will be able to set up most of my festivals with a single layer for someone to operate volume faders when I go on stage to play.  That's always been a problem on 16 faders.

Best of Luck with the gig Mark,

I've noticed a 2nd hand GLD-80 with AR2412 pop up for sale here for a reasonable price and am weighing up the pros and cons on moving from my 01v96i So i'm following your posts with interest,
Let us know how you get on,
All the best.
 :)

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2014, 02:51:40 AM »

New firmware v1.4 coming soon: At NAMM A&H announced v 1.4 firmware with scene crossfading, multiband compression, dynamic eq, and a transient controller. Life is good.  Availability feb: http://community.allen-heath.com/archives/37240

Can't remember the last time my 01V96 was updated...
Mark McFarlane

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2014, 05:00:28 AM »

Best of Luck with the gig Mark,

I've noticed a 2nd hand GLD-80 with AR2412 pop up for sale here for a reasonable price and am weighing up the pros and cons on moving from my 01v96i So i'm following your posts with interest,
Let us know how you get on,
All the best.
 :)

The gig went well.  I got great use out of the pitch shifter and delay on vocal, as subtle ambiance, for some solo artists.  Actually I drove the pitch shifter pretty hard for a few songs at it worked great.  Loving this board.

The event was basically put on by a musicians co-op as an open mic night.  I volunteered to bring the console and monitors and use other peoples gear for the rest.  Mistake.  Boom mics sagging mid song, mics with switches that people turned off (and then quickly got taped up by me), not enough cables and mic stands (a quick trip home, it was only a few blocks away,...

When someone sings and the mic doesn't work everyone looks at the sound man. I refrained from making an announcement that someone idiot brought a mc with a switch and another idiot turned it off.

I did have one moderately serious monitor problem during the show.  I have a ticket open with Allen Heath on the issue and a post in their forums.  I'll report back here if we can rule out operator error, which I believe wasn't the problem, but it was my first show. :( 
Mark McFarlane

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2014, 08:54:49 AM »

14) Anyone running anything other than audio over the Cat5 cable from console to stagebox?

e.g. Could I hook up a switch on each end and connect my computer to the DSP that will now have to be on the stage in the stagebox rack.

I suspect a better solution is a wireless access point at FOH for iPad control and another on stage.

What's your GLD network look like?

Sorry for the late response. I ran into a situation with an iLive that am told relates. I went to extend an ACE line on an iLive system via the fiber ports on a Cisco SG300 switch.  For the life of me, I could not get audio to transfer.  It turns out that ACE needs a 100base speed for all link transmissions, and there was no way to set the fiber ports on the SG-300 to anything other then 1000 base. I ended up purchasing two stand alone 100 base media converters, and the fiber link worked great.  Am am told the D-snake can be switched but similarly must live on a 100 base network.  I haven't actually done this though.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2014, 09:08:49 AM »

The gig went well.  I got great use out of the pitch shifter and delay on vocal, as subtle ambiance, for some solo artists.  Actually I drove the pitch shifter pretty hard for a few songs at it worked great.  Loving this board.

The event was basically put on by a musicians co-op as an open mic night.  I volunteered to bring the console and monitors and use other peoples gear for the rest.  Mistake.  Boom mics sagging mid song, mics with switches that people turned off (and then quickly got taped up by me), not enough cables and mic stands (a quick trip home, it was only a few blocks away,...

When someone sings and the mic doesn't work everyone looks at the sound man. I refrained from making an announcement that someone idiot brought a mc with a switch and another idiot turned it off.

I did have one moderately serious monitor problem during the show.  I have a ticket open with Allen Heath on the issue and a post in their forums.  I'll report back here if we can rule out operator error, which I believe wasn't the problem, but it was my first show. :(
I haven't run into that one. I have had two crashes, one which happened while I had Ethernet connected, and one with a USB stick. With nothing other than DSnake connected, I've not had a problem.

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »

I haven't run into that one. I have had two crashes, one which happened while I had Ethernet connected, and one with a USB stick. With nothing other than DSnake connected, I've not had a problem.

I had both ethernet connected (Apple Extreme to iPad which was turned of) and a USB key inserted.  Based on some other 'temporary freeze' issues I've read about I guess the current best practice is to yank the USB stick before the show starts.  We'll see what A&H says, but I doubt it easily reproducible so they may have to go by frequency of field reports.
Mark McFarlane

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »

OK, here was my problem Friday night:

I was using my GLD112 (v1.3) and lost all 5 aux monitor sends during one of the performances. The meters showed signal on all 5 auxes post-compressor but no signal post-fader. The faders for all 5 auxes were turned up (around -30). Reloading the show file did not fix the problem but rebooting the console and reloading the show file fixed the problem.

I was not changing any routings or configurations during the show, just the normal channel and bus faders, comps, gates., eq, EFX feeds, ...  Didn't touch anything to do with the aux system except maybe turn down a few db's on one speaker.

Here was A&H response:

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sending the log files, unfortunately they do not reveal anything conclusive, only that the problem occurred between these 2 events.

Fri Jan 24 16:55:59 2014 :: 10.0.1.2 - Server Side Disconnected (AHNet)
Fri Jan 24 19:37:18 2014 :: Recall show: mark 4

There is not a known issue that would account for this, if the problem persists please contact your local dealer to arrange for a service of the desk and the audiorack, as the fault could be with either of these.

There has been a very helpful user (Chris) on the A&H forum, but the problem appears to be either in the GLD hardware or software. I'm hoping software. http://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/monitor-outputs-dropped-mid-show/page/2/#post-37453

Anyway, I've got a touring band flying in next week for a Feb 10 gig and other gigs lined up weekly for the next few months. I'm a tad nervous.  Not sure if I'm hauling my 01V96 or my new X32 rack as a backup. Probably should bring the 01V96 since I know the board inside and out and it has never failed in a decade.
Mark McFarlane

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #76 on: January 27, 2014, 10:47:27 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.