ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32  (Read 116036 times)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: Midas M32
« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2014, 01:34:31 PM »

Funny, there is this guy on soundforums that looks just like you  :P

did you just call me funny looking?

Yes Per, I do have an account on that forum that is seldom used.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2014, 01:40:17 PM »

Guys.  It's an iLive.  Behringer owns Midas, so I don't think they're putting this out to compete with the X32.  To me, it seems pretty obvious that it's an iLive with the Midas name on it.

I disagree, I don't see it as a competitor to the iLive at all. It has less than 1/3rd the channel count, for starters.
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »

Glorious worker paradise?

In other news, I just saw that Foxcon is considering a USA facility.  Maybe you won't have to immigrate, Jim.

Coincidentally the US Foxconn (Hon Hai) facility is related to Apple very publicly announcing they would build some products in the US. While US manufacturing is being helped by relatively low energy costs, the dollar should get stronger with tapering of QE, so building apple stuff in the US may be a political concession to prevent a more forceful response.

Apple has something like $150B of cash. It would be nice to see a better business climate here get them to put more of that to work here. Apple's investment into US manufacturing is << $1B and not putting a dent into $150B.

JR

Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Thomas Le

« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2014, 04:14:58 PM »

It depends upon who you ask.  When the Midas people came through our shop with Pro2, they made a point to say that they had to clean up Behringer's work, rework the console, and design a pre.  It is a cheaper version of the preamp in the Pro2.  It is made side by side.  This is a kin to Soundcraft using the same type of GB circuit from cheap console to "high end", they change the quality of components, etc.  Behringer/Starin people came through saying that it was a Pro2 in a cheaper form.  I got more accurate info from Midas than Behringer.

With Soundcraft, I personally have an EFX12 and Soundcraft claims this board is using the same GB30 pre as the bigger GB series. Let me just say that I have to run the pre's hotter on the EFX than on a GB4 that I run for my church (that I wish they upgraded to digital already...)

Peter Morris

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2014, 07:57:44 PM »

I disagree, I don't see it as a competitor to the iLive at all. It has less than 1/3rd the channel count, for starters.

Agree, I own both Midas and Allen & Heath.  The iLive and iLiveT have 64 inputs in a fully load iDr10 or iDr64 + 16 internal EFX returns.   If you need you can add a second rack and take it to 128.  It also has 32 outputs with GEQs on all of them.  In many ways the iLive is much more capable than a Pro2/3.

I would suggest it’s aimed at the GLD in term of performance and price (when you add the remote stage box). 

In this market space I suspect the M32 and GLD will be the best on offer. 

Mark McFarlane

« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »

...Apple has something like $150B of cash. It would be nice to see a better business climate here get them to put more of that to work here. ...

Most of Apple's cash reserve is outside the USA.  The only way it will come home, i.e. the required 'better business climate', either for investment or for stock repurchase (my preference), is if the federal government gives them a tax holiday, otherwise they'll lose tens of billions in taxes. They've been asking for the tax break for years.  It has happened in the past.

I don't see it happening in the current congress.
Mark McFarlane

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »

Most of Apple's cash reserve is outside the USA.  The only way it will come home, i.e. the required 'better business climate', either for investment or for stock repurchase (my preference), is if the federal government gives them a tax holiday, otherwise they'll lose tens of billions in taxes. They've been asking for the tax break for years.  It has happened in the past.

At the risk of locking or getting zapped.... if I were a stockholder I'd be screaming for dividends, stock buy-back, or other use of the capital.  I remember when excess retained earnings were taxed at higher rates...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »

Apple is not the only US company with huge cash holdings outside the country because of US tax policy.  Companies have been buying back their own stock (with retained domestic earnings) hand over fist, as an alternative to investing that cash into expanding their own business and creating more jobs. While share repurchase is good for stock prices it is an artificial engineering of the P/E ratio, so longer term it needs to be discounted and too much is suspicious. I believe IBM is falling out of favor because that is precisely how they engineered their PEG for years. At some point you end up swallowing your own tail and poof no more PE growth because you didn't invest in your business.

While I appreciate the market going up (trust me about that), I do not appreciate the widespread fear against business investment in themselves and more hiring. We need to get back on plan and grow jobs the old fashioned way (with top line business growth).   

I try not to speculate about what politicians will or will not do (especially here). I was just describing the context of the new US Foxconn factory. There was a mention of tax reform in the speech last night, but I am not holding my breath.

JR

PS: I do own Apple stock and do not approve of $150B dead money. They can't repatriate it to dividend it without incurring US taxes. Not all $150B is offshore and Apple already has activist investors pressuring them to buy back more shares with domestic earnings.

I also understand the reluctance to give a major fraction of that offshore cash to the government just to be able to spend it here. OTOH Apple has played fast and loose with corporate taxes for years. I think they are based in Ireland to avoid almost all corporate taxes. We need a fair but modest corporate tax rate that is not worth the trouble to do so much work to game. Don't get me started on this, just another perverse economic dis-incentive against growth from dubious policy. 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Warrick Moore

« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2014, 04:57:01 PM »

Guys.  It's an iLive.  Behringer owns Midas, so I don't think they're putting this out to compete with the X32.  To me, it seems pretty obvious that it's an iLive with the Midas name on it.

BMW has the M series. Audi was the MTM range. Toyota has the Lexus brand etc.
Behringer now has the M32.

daniel andreassons=

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »

Could it be that the Pro1 is going to be discontinued within shortly, why I wonder is because they were really pushing a superdeal on that console, the deal ended pretty much the same day that they released the M32. This was in Sweden, and I assume you have had similar deals on the Pro1 bundled with different stageboxes?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2014, 06:02:29 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.