ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32  (Read 116045 times)

paul bell

Re: Midas M32
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »

The Midas staff I spoke to were very excited about this console. I think Midas saw (and liked) how popular the Behringer X32 has become and they're hoping to grab the market that needs a higher end console in the 4-5 grand range.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 02:51:42 PM »

After some long thought I'm beginning to think the only rational way to look at this would be Ford/Mercury, Chevy/GMC, etc. The question remains, does the quality trickle up, or down.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2014, 04:11:10 PM »

After some long thought I'm beginning to think the only rational way to look at this would be Ford/Mercury, Chevy/GMC, etc. The question remains, does the quality trickle up, or down.

I have long argued to not confuse quality with features.

The reality about the underlying technology is that the big dollar technology (convertors and DSP) were developed by other industries for other markets (consumer).

The software looks like it trickled down from Midas to Behringer, while probably a joint effort that benefitted both.

Yes, at the end of the day the guts are mostly indistinguishable, so branding is the name of the game for getting sales from the other areas of the market.

Incremental gains from here are probably hanging higher up the fruit tree.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2014, 04:32:09 PM »

Agreed, but I tend tosee anything moving from B to M as a trickle up.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2014, 04:47:50 PM »

Agreed, but I tend tosee anything moving from B to M as a trickle up.

The work effort to generate that massive code project was clearly a Behringer program. The expertise that made that work effort merchantable IMO likely flowed down hill from Midas. In large (or not so large) software efforts there are contributions of both grunt work and high level architecture design. The time and effort spent on each does not reflect the relative value of each. A well built house to a lousy plan, is a lousy house.

Of course this is just my opinions from a great distance.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 04:48:28 PM »

The price of mediocrity always comes down.

I do not foresee "sound-as-art" focused providers making M32 changes in the near-term. If the M7 never had a 48 channel count available out of the box (which involves a crude 2nd internal power supply and wacky channel number placement), it would have remained the Church/AV console it was designed to be.

There are soundco's out there who I trust and could reasonably put an M32 in my hands, and soundco's who cheap out at every purchase opportunity. A string of "good enough/close enough" purchases and staffing does not a sound company make.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2014, 06:42:52 PM »

Now that Midas has tooled the chassis for the M32, perhaps there will be others in the "M" line? Sorta along the lines of the CL desks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

paul bell

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »

While I'd never say I was as adept as some (or many) of you here are at deciphering the deep technicals of all this, I do note the following:

"32 award-winning MIDAS microphone preamplifiers"

"25 MIDAS PRO motorised 100 mm faders"

I'm sure these two items (and certainly more) are better than what is used in the Behringer version.

Behringer is a brand that's based on cheaply made products. EG: Why use a twenty dollar motorized fader when a two dollar fader will do? Surely in making this a Midas product, they've gone through it and "upgraded" the components to Midas Grade.

I for one believe this will be a quality console and worth the five grand or so that it's gonna cost.

Having said this, I'll add my disclaimer that we'll see how it is when it's shipping.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2014, 08:49:02 PM »

I did notice that the M32 has POP groups like the rest if their line.

That'd be really cool if it did. I don't see them mentioned at all on the website, maybe we'll get a better look after NAMM?
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »

Midas is now more like Lexus, or Cadillac.

The question is whether they'll be able to go back to being more like Bentley or Rolls-Royce.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 23 queries.