ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32  (Read 116023 times)

Brent_Handy

Re: Midas M32
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2014, 09:20:15 PM »

First, it appears the board may not be made in China

All Midas is built in China.

Brent_Handy

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2014, 09:27:40 PM »

First, it appears the board may not be made in China

Nope.  All Midas manufacturing has been moved to China.  The X32 is made in the same room as the Pro series.  This console will be no different.

Brent_Handy

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »

It's exactly the same in the photographic world.  You can buy a perfectly good camera with Panasonic written on it or pay half as much again for essentially the same camera with a Leica logo.

Steve.

It depends upon who you ask.  When the Midas people came through our shop with Pro2, they made a point to say that they had to clean up Behringer's work, rework the console, and design a pre.  It is a cheaper version of the preamp in the Pro2.  It is made side by side.  This is a kin to Soundcraft using the same type of GB circuit from cheap console to "high end", they change the quality of components, etc.  Behringer/Starin people came through saying that it was a Pro2 in a cheaper form.  I got more accurate info from Midas than Behringer.

Brent_Handy

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2014, 09:38:19 PM »

LOL.... I guess I missed that. Any additional features, then? They seem to be implying better pres - but they could easily be the same. Implying better faders, maybe? Surface is a little better spaced out? 96k? Short list....

I

The X32 faders are custom made by Behringer.  The faders are in banks of eight.  The faders in this console are not in the same plastic panels, grouped in eight.  If you watch the videos on YouTube, one of the guys from Midas kind of addresses this.  His tone and verbiage acknowledges the X32s were sub par.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2014, 10:48:50 PM »

Nope.  All Midas manufacturing has been moved to China.  The X32 is made in the same room as the Pro series.  This console will be no different.

Well, I had not considered that ALL Midas was now being manufactured in China, but if I may quote below, you are absolutely correct.

"The former Empire strikes back. A curious tale in the further falling of the British empire...

The first cast member - A British car company, that rose from humble beginnings, and produced vehicles that became sought after, and highly regarded pieces of work, both in England, and internationally.

The second cast member - a sonic mirror to the first - A British audio console manufacturer, whose products similarly rose to become  sought after and highly regarded pieces of work, both in their native country, and internationally.

Midas, which also began as an independent company, went on to become part of the Telex Group - a Minnesota based company that began as a hearing-aid manufacturer.  In 2006, that parent company was acquired by the Bosch Group, a German Mega-company that added Midas to its "Bosch Communications Systems" business unit, along with Klark Teknik, Electrovoice, Dynacord, and the DDA console brand.  In a move somewhat similar to Ford's manipulation of the Jaguar brand, the Midas name was shifted over to a line of less expensive consoles aimed at the club and regional sound market - consoles including the Verona, and the very popular Venice.

Now, in the start of 2010, comes the announcement that the famous, luxury brand of audio consoles known as Midas, has been bought by a company called Behringer.  While not actually from India, it now has all of its manufacturing based in 'Behringer City' in Guangdong province, China. It has achieved its success by manufacturing some of the cheapest, and most disposable of  'professional'  audio equipment in the history of the industry.  This is a company that according to Mackie, the American audio manufacturer, has a ' history of copying products by other manufacturers and selling them as their own.'  The company has been sued by not only Mackie, but by Aphex Systems, BBE, DBX, Drawmer, Roland, and Apogee.  As with Tata, this too is an economy of scale. The 1.2 million square foot manufacturing plant in China ships more than 2.5 million Behringer products per year, including over 50,000 mixing consoles per month !

Act 3 - Future Tense.  -    This is a tale without a conclusion - a story that is still unfolding.   The legion of automobile enthusiasts who were so disappointed when the noble Jaguar brand was taken over by Ford, are now scratching their heads at the prospect of this new Indian company guiding Jaguar into the future.  Likewise, the old-school gear snobs who cling to the sonic purity of their beloved XL200 consoles, and who sniffed at the budget 'Venice' consoles that started to become so common in music clubs around the world, are now likely crying with their heads in their hands at the specter of Uli Behringer at the helm of that company.   Time will tell... "
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Kyle Van Sandt

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »

The X32 faders are custom made by Behringer.  The faders are in banks of eight.  The faders in this console are not in the same plastic panels, grouped in eight.  If you watch the videos on YouTube, one of the guys from Midas kind of addresses this.  His tone and verbiage acknowledges the X32s were sub par.

For those of you who own the X32 now... does any of this acutally matter?  I have had no issues with my X32 that I really see the benefit of a better fader. 

Its just kind of weird.  In my eyes Behringer re-built their reputation on this console.  After you forgot the name on it, you got through the gig and everything always went well.  Just suprises me they are now basically throwing the X32 under the bus in favor of this thing... when in reality I don't think any X32 owners around here feel that this console fixes anything that was wrong with the X32. 

If you want to fix the desk for me...
-Make all effects slots equal
-Allow graphs on each out without chewing up effects
-Expand channels onto mix buses

There are more... but this console really addresses none of them. 
Kyle Van Sandt
Production Coordinator
The Egg, Albany, NY
vansandtdesigns.com

paul bell

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2014, 11:30:58 PM »

FWIW, I have one venue with a X32 and I know two shops that own it. All are happy, none have had any issues.

I don't see this as "throwing it (the X32) under the bus". I see it as a console that's a step up in quality, some more functions and (of course) price. There will still be a good market for the X32 consoles. The Midas M32i will NOT replace the Behringer X32.

I predict that the M32i will slowly creep up on those lower range Yamaha boards. I can imagine the folks at Yamaha are scrambling to do something. Imagine the small venue owner: "Midas? Digital? 32 channels? Five grand? How fast can I have it delivered?"

paul bell

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2014, 11:33:35 PM »

Kyle, the Midas folks at NAMM did say that the M32i would down the line see 96K. I'll assume it would be in a firmware update.

Nitin Sidhu

• New Delhi, India.
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2014, 12:28:55 AM »

Act 3 - Future Tense.  -    This is a tale without a conclusion - a story that is still unfolding.   The legion of automobile enthusiasts who were so disappointed when the noble Jaguar brand was taken over by Ford, are now scratching their heads at the prospect of this new Indian company guiding Jaguar into the future.  Likewise, the old-school gear snobs who cling to the sonic purity of their beloved XL200 consoles, and who sniffed at the budget 'Venice' consoles that started to become so common in music clubs around the world, are now likely crying with their heads in their hands at the specter of Uli Behringer at the helm of that company.   Time will tell... "

Hey Bob!

Except for IIRC, Jag now posts record profits, and still maintains its exclusiveness.

I agree that this should have been a behringer badge, and shored up B's image even more, while Midas should prolly rework/improve the Pro interface.

Business wise, it obviously seems like too good an oppertuniTy for Midas to pass up, rebadge a ready made console, with hopefully better hardware, and everyone now owns a Midas! I think they have done this before with a Dynacord board.

Sidhu
My RTA is always flat.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2014, 12:51:39 AM »

I predict that the M32i will slowly creep up on those lower range Yamaha boards. I can imagine the folks at Yamaha are scrambling to do something. Imagine the small venue owner: "Midas? Digital? 32 channels? Five grand? How fast can I have it delivered?"

I keep expecting Yamaha to come out with LS-9 and 01v96 replacements, but...... who knows besides Yamaha.

Didn't they pretty much start the whole $10k and under digital mixer market? :o

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2014, 12:51:39 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.