ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32  (Read 116046 times)

Mark Smith, @C3HTech @W4CHL

• C3HUU Soundroom
Re: Midas M32
« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2016, 03:43:59 PM »

@Kevin Maxwell Thank you! In our testing we naively connected our stage monitors amp input to the lanbeled "monitor" output.
@C3HTech @W4CHL
C3HUU Soundroom & Communication Technologies

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2016, 07:16:28 PM »

That specific output is usually used for recording studio monitors, and not as a headphone solo PFL/AFL system.  Easy mistake to make.  As you already know there are up to 16 aux sends for in-ear or wedge monitors.  Digital makes lots of outputs and a lot of functions available in a compact low cost package.  Have fun!

chris johnson

« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2016, 08:50:18 PM »

would this be a good place to chat a bit about compatibility stuff? i do not want to start another m32 thread. i was just curious if anyone has had any compatibility issues with x32s, and with midas or behringer stage boxes. we have a m32 where i work. getting either a m32 or a x32 for monitors and either a midas or behringer 32 channel stage box to go with them.

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #133 on: December 27, 2016, 09:56:55 PM »

There should be no compatibility issues with either console as they use the same firmware and AES50 protocol.

If I were you, only get the Midas stage boxes.  That way you have the better preamps for both consoles.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

chris johnson

« Reply #134 on: December 27, 2016, 10:00:30 PM »

There should be no compatibility issues with either console as they use the same firmware and AES50 protocol.

If I were you, only get the Midas stage boxes.  That way you have the better preamps for both consoles.

i really just want to get the m32 and the midas 32 in stagebox, and some cabling and be done with it, but money is tight, and i might have to go with the cheaper option on either or and upgrade later next year. glad to hear it all communicates good though. thanks for your help!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #135 on: December 27, 2016, 10:58:11 PM »

would this be a good place to chat a bit about compatibility stuff? i do not want to start another m32 thread. i was just curious if anyone has had any compatibility issues with x32s, and with midas or behringer stage boxes. we have a m32 where i work. getting either a m32 or a x32 for monitors and either a midas or behringer 32 channel stage box to go with them.

The preamp thing is still mostly smoke and mirrors unless you're in the habit of hitting the input strip red lights but the AD/DA converters are better at any signal level... 8)

That said, the placebo effect is strong - you could have the M32 surface and S16/S32 stage boxes and if nobody saw them, they'd assume it was all Midas.  There's not a huge difference between the stage boxes once you remove brand-awareness, and it's even more subtle if you don't hit inputs at 0 DBFS.

If you want the Midas stuff where it presumably counts and don't care about the surface the DL16/DL32 will connect to the X32.

The main primary benefits of the M32 are nicer controls and a greater choice of plug-ins for the virtual rack.  The rack is no bigger, though :(
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Chiara

« Reply #136 on: December 27, 2016, 11:03:41 PM »

The preamp thing is still mostly smoke and mirrors unless you're in the habit of hitting the input strip red lights but the AD/DA converters are better at any signal level... 8)

That said, the placebo effect is strong - you could have the M32 surface and S16/S32 stage boxes and if nobody saw them, they'd assume it was all Midas.  There's not a huge difference between the stage boxes once you remove brand-awareness, and it's even more subtle if you don't hit inputs at 0 DBFS.

If you want the Midas stuff where it presumably counts and don't care about the surface the DL16/DL32 will connect to the X32.

The main primary benefits of the M32 are nicer controls and a greater choice of plug-ins for the virtual rack.  The rack is no bigger, though :(

Pretty sure the plug ins are the same.
What have you seen different?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #137 on: December 27, 2016, 11:15:10 PM »

I ran my first gig with the M32 last Friday.

I am not sure how to quantify if the preamps are any better.  I can tell you the machined chassis and carbon fiber facade, the higher quality encoders and faders.   It looks and feels much nicer than the x32. 

With the recent price reductions the delta is so small between the x32 and the m32 I don't think I would buy another m32.  I also can afford to spend $1000 and get it back over 5 years so you have to judge things from your own criteria. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »

That's going on memory from a conversation with another Mixerperson.  We just got an M32 and while I set it up in the shop I didn't scroll through all the plug in options... I'll have to put the X32 Rack next to the M32 and see.

I vaguely recall something about a larger virtual device selection in discussion of why one cannot load M32 firmware into an X32...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Chiara

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2016, 11:37:35 PM »

That's going on memory from a conversation with another Mixerperson.  We just got an M32 and while I set it up in the shop I didn't scroll through all the plug in options... I'll have to put the X32 Rack next to the M32 and see.

I vaguely recall something about a larger virtual device selection in discussion of why one cannot load M32 firmware into an X32...

I thought that might be because of the higher M32 buss speeds...etc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #139 on: December 27, 2016, 11:37:35 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.