ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32  (Read 116030 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Midas M32
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »

Sure, http://midasconsoles.com/Products/PRO1CC-TP.aspx

Ah, in that regard, I can understand the advantages of 96k. Also, the bigger desks have enough DSP to handle it.

Seems like you are maybe referring to a digital trim. Digico and etc have trims. Is that what you mean?

Ryan Hammond

« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »

Seems like you are maybe referring to a digital trim. Digico and etc have trims. Is that what you mean?

Yes, the digital trim... but with the PRO series, you can adjust the analog gain without affecting the converter (no digital trim)... or you can mix and match the amount of analog gain with the digital trim. It's basically an effect that you could theoretically duplicate with a tube simulator... but still very cool. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 05:57:52 PM by Ryan Hammond »

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2014, 12:45:50 AM »

The Pro series has a preamp gain and a digital trim.  How is this different than many other digital consoles.

Ryan Hammond

« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2014, 01:45:16 PM »

The Pro series has a preamp gain and a digital trim.  How is this different than many other digital consoles.

Well, you get that classic MIDAS coloration with the dual gain stage. With other digital consoles, the typical preamp gain and digital trims do not separate the A/D converter from the analog gain... to my knowledge, they are tied together. So, in other words, in a typical digital console, you would be clipping the A/D converter (digital trim) instead of soft clipping the analog separately.

Here are the YouTube videos where MIDAS explains them a bit more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv6Bh6no55s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbI3ZIEA1Rs

Now, if this is just marketing, and you can do this with the other digital consoles, then it's no big deal; however, I don't know of a digital console (other than the MIDAS) that allows you to soft clip the pres and not overload the converter.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2014, 08:56:13 PM »

Now, if this is just marketing, and you can do this with the other digital consoles, then it's no big deal; however, I don't know of a digital console (other than the MIDAS) that allows you to soft clip the pres and not overload the converter.

I think you'll find that all modern professional digital consoles let you clip the analog section before digital clipping.

Mac

Ryan Hammond

« Reply #105 on: February 27, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »

I think you'll find that all modern professional digital consoles let you clip the analog section before digital clipping.

Mac

I don't know... I've never pushed them hot enough to find out lol. I was just going off of what other engineers were saying about the MIDAS versus others. Perhaps it's just that they are more daring to do it because it's a MIDAS—not because it's the only one that will?

So, it sounds like just clever marketing then. Still... it's pretty good marketing!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #106 on: February 27, 2014, 11:59:41 AM »

I don't know... I've never pushed them hot enough to find out lol. I was just going off of what other engineers were saying about the MIDAS versus others. Perhaps it's just that they are more daring to do it because it's a MIDAS—not because it's the only one that will?

So, it sounds like just clever marketing then. Still... it's pretty good marketing!

In all the modern analog pre > AD converter packages I'm aware of (disclaimer) the analog circuit clips before the converter runs out of 1's.  That doesn't prevent the operator from pushing into digital clip, but that the analog clips first.

YMMV.

And yes, there is much marketing spew going forth and very little in the way of verifiable fact.  I have a jaundiced eye for Midas' claims and thus far have seen no reason to modify my opinion of the firm and its operating attitude.

Would we buy Midas consoles?  Sure, if our customer base specified them routinely.  In the end, all the hardware in an audio system are mere tools with which to make a profit and my personal opinion of a firm is subordinate to the the commercial aspects of managing a regional sound & lighting company.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ryan Hammond

« Reply #107 on: February 27, 2014, 05:22:51 PM »

Thanks Mac and Tim for your input! Back to the M32, I think the M32 is going to be a solid console. Some people believe that the X32 was a prototype for the M32, only the X32 sold so well that they decided to offer a MIDAS branded upgrade for those who want it—and keep the X32 family for those who want a lot of great features for a decent price... like buying a Ford Mustang GT versus a BMW M3.

I would've still liked to see an M48 instead of the M32—as others have pointed out.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #108 on: February 27, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »

I would've still liked to see an M48 instead of the M32—as others have pointed out.

Perhaps you will one day.

Steve.

Bill Schnake

• Schnake Sound
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »

I would love to see a M48.  It is just what I need at monitors to replace my M7CL-48.  This assumes that it is a solid workhorse.

Bill  ;)
Bill Schnake

217.670.1328    Office
217.553.2278    Cell
Schnake Sound, Inc

Experience, Expertise, Professionalism and Reliability

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2014, 05:56:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.