ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Electro Voice ETX 2000w powered speakers!  (Read 20307 times)

Per Sovik

• Sogn, Norway, Europe
Re: New Electro Voice ETX 2000w powered speakers!
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 06:18:15 AM »

The Subs actually looks really interesting. 15" and 18" both Cardioid with a supposed -30db on the back side.

How can they be without a rear vent? The DSP preset is probably for a cardoid set up with 2 or 3 boxes.

Josh Billings

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »

I got to hear these at the NAMM show and am pretty impressed. I do wish I was able to hear them all with the same content, especially the 18" subwoofer. The only demo we got with the 18" subs on was basically a big kick drum. I really want to hear how LOW these will go.

The 3 way tops were solid though. I do kind of with there were 2 horn options. The 60x40 pretty much means I've gotta bring 4 of these things with me...and if that's the case I'd probably go for passive speakers. If they were 90x40s I could get away with 2 for medium sized gigs.

Josh

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 01:43:50 AM »

I got to hear these at the NAMM show and am pretty impressed. I do wish I was able to hear them all with the same content, especially the 18" subwoofer. The only demo we got with the 18" subs on was basically a big kick drum. I really want to hear how LOW these will go.

The 3 way tops were solid though. I do kind of with there were 2 horn options. The 60x40 pretty much means I've gotta bring 4 of these things with me...and if that's the case I'd probably go for passive speakers. If they were 90x40s I could get away with 2 for medium sized gigs.

Josh

I just noticed that.  Hell, that may make them easier to work for what I need, since I'd like to have 2 tops and 4 subs per side...I'll definitely have to check them out.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

cliff truesdell

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 04:26:26 AM »

I was able to attend the short EV demo too. I thought they sounded smooth and clear. I ESP liked the 10" top box over the 15" sub as well as the 12" top over the 15" sub.
That is, at least with the provided playback music. It would have been awesome to have some live vocals and acoustic guitar to hear how they do in a live setting. Oh well.

They are not the lightest weight in the class but then again they are real wood with reinforced fly points. The 10" and 12" had the dual pole cups which is nice. Kinda like a SRX712.

The EV rep I was speaking with seemed to really know the product. I did bring up the powercon issue and he did agree that that would be nice but felt that still in this price range the an IEC connector is still fine. He did say that they will probably add a locking connector.

I liked the small size of the 15" sub. The 18" is getting on the large size. Both cabs have factory casters.  The woofers supposedly come out of one of the array lines. Forgot which one...lol
The tops I think are similar to the TX line drivers.
Amp  modules are made in the EV/Bosh plant in China. The rest of the components are made here in the states and assembled in the Bosh plant in Mexico. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:30:08 AM by cliff truesdell »

Reggie Kendrick

• Channel Live Productions - raising the bar...
    • Channel Live Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 11:07:51 AM »

...Amp  modules are made in the EV/Bosh plant in China. The rest of the components are made here in the states and assembled in the Bosh plant in Mexico.
Looks like they're assembled or Made in USA of domestic and foreign made parts.  No mention of Mexico.

Raising the bar...

Atlanta Wedding DJs
Atlanta DJs / Wedding DJs / Prom DJs ...and more

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 12:02:43 PM »

I was able to attend the short EV demo too. I thought they sounded smooth and clear. I ESP liked the 10" top box over the 15" sub as well as the 12" top over the 15" sub.
That is, at least with the provided playback music. It would have been awesome to have some live vocals and acoustic guitar to hear how they do in a live setting. Oh well.

They are not the lightest weight in the class but then again they are real wood with reinforced fly points. The 10" and 12" had the dual pole cups which is nice. Kinda like a SRX712.

The EV rep I was speaking with seemed to really know the product. I did bring up the powercon issue and he did agree that that would be nice but felt that still in this price range the an IEC connector is still fine. He did say that they will probably add a locking connector.

I liked the small size of the 15" sub. The 18" is getting on the large size. Both cabs have factory casters.  The woofers supposedly come out of one of the array lines. Forgot which one...lol
The tops I think are similar to the TX line drivers.
Amp  modules are made in the EV/Bosh plant in China. The rest of the components are made here in the states and assembled in the Bosh plant in Mexico.

Awesome.  Now I just need to find a way to demo them.  I would say the 60x40 would definitely mean running two per side will work.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

cliff truesdell

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 12:40:59 PM »

Awesome.  Now I just need to find a way to demo them.  I would say the 60x40 would definitely mean running two per side will work.

If I remember correctly, only the three way is sporting the 60x40. The other three tops are all 90deg.

The rep said that EV will offer a bracket for the three ways that will splay two boxes side x side.

Price wise, sounds like they are priced higher than the PRX series. Closer to the KW line.

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 03:30:58 PM »

How loud were they running these things at NAMM? This morning I was checking the ETX specs, and with EV's DH3 compression drivers (1.25" vc, 20 watts) mated to stamped frame woofers in the two ways, this doesn't look to be all that exciting on paper.

I also looked up what EV is using in the ETX 18" sub. The driver listed is an "A" variant of the 3180 that EV put in these (discussed by you gentlemen a few years ago):

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=803.0

An 18" sub driver with only a 2 1/2" vc is maybe not a red flag to me, but at least a yellow one. But I'll leave that determination to the guys in the forum who know more about driver design than I do. I'm not in the market for a 115 pound sub anyway. I've got plenty of those already.

Forever the skeptic ;) Bill

chris miller

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 09:54:05 PM »

Hey guys,

The ETX line is manufactured in a few different spots. The amplifier and DSP module is made in Germany by EV. If you don't know, EV is owned by Bosch, which also owns Dynacord, Telex and RTS Intercom.

The woofer and HF drivers are made in Bosch's facility in Mexico. State of the art facility made two years ago.

It's all shipped and assembled in the US at EV's manufacturing facility.

They chose the IEC locking connector over powercon because IEC is readily available. Belive me, I left my powercon cables in the shop and went to a gig hours away, it took me 2 hours to find a shop and rent them. Not fun. If you're dying for powercon, wait until InfoCOMM.

The combo XLR/TRS jack, I really don't see why that's not professional. It's made by Neutrik and robust as all ever.

Don't think this is a run of the mil MI box. These were designed for professional production and install. The drivers are from our upper end installation and production loudspeakers. The subs use the same drivers from Phoenix series and are actually a step up from the X-Sub. The main speakers use the same components from the EVF installation boxes.

The amplifier is a brand new Class D design and the DSP chip is the same module from our Netmax and DX46 production DSP frames.

Very high quality. Worth giving a listen.

The subs have a cardioid setting for easy setup when using that configuration. Adjusts delay, phase, and EQ all with a switch. There's a 30 db loss on the back side. It's impressive.

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:56:27 PM by ctmsound »
-Chris

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber