ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: have you experienced this?  (Read 2253 times)

Bob Kidd

have you experienced this?
« on: February 01, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »

Having great year so far  :(! I had just replaced damaged diaphragm in srx 725 last week. So last night running sound I start to detect distortion and cracking. First thought is making sure I was not clipping somewhere (amps, mixer...). That was fine. Next knowing about previous speaker issue tried to isolate problem. The distortion was only happening in one speaker so I obviously thought speaker issue again. After getting through gig I turned up only that speaker and it seemed fine until I touched gain knob on channel 2 of qsc pl340 amp and the in and out distortion/cracking started. Switch connect to other side and sure enough it was there. Have any of you experienced this? If so, could it be as simple as spraying volume knob with contact cleaner or a more serious issue internally? Thanks for your help

Jerome Malsack

Re: have you experienced this?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 12:30:54 PM »

it is possible the cleaning of the knob will work unless the knob is of the new Sealed type. 

This would require replacement.  That will not rule out other problems and that would require a review and test with an approved test gear that service departments should have. 

David Parker

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:50:13 PM »

Having great year so far  :(! I had just replaced damaged diaphragm in srx 725 last week. So last night running sound I start to detect distortion and cracking. First thought is making sure I was not clipping somewhere (amps, mixer...). That was fine. Next knowing about previous speaker issue tried to isolate problem. The distortion was only happening in one speaker so I obviously thought speaker issue again. After getting through gig I turned up only that speaker and it seemed fine until I touched gain knob on channel 2 of qsc pl340 amp and the in and out distortion/cracking started. Switch connect to other side and sure enough it was there. Have any of you experienced this? If so, could it be as simple as spraying volume knob with contact cleaner or a more serious issue internally? Thanks for your help
I've had that problem with my PLX series amps

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »

Try running your finger across the knob so it turns really fast.  Often times that can kick out the gunk.

Simply "spraying it" is not as easy as it sounds.  You have to be able to get the solvent inside the pot-sometimes that is quite a choir-labor wise.

I always try to twist it out first.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 12:51:42 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 25 queries.