ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Noise gate for close quarters  (Read 11454 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Noise gate for close quarters
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »

Easier said than done. We have very little flexibility given the amount of space... :(
Dan

Smaller powered/unpowered monitor mounted on a mic stand pointed at the drummers good ear...

There's always a way.  You just have to find it and abandon the excuses for why it can't be done.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 01:38:10 PM »

Smaller powered/unpowered monitor mounted on a mic stand pointed at the drummers good ear...

There's always a way.  You just have to find it and abandon the excuses for why it can't be done.

"I embrace solutions, not excuses."  J. Taffer, "Bar Rescue"
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 01:49:13 PM »

To the OP: headphones (isolation-type, please...there are enough deaf drummers out there) or IEM-style earphones may be another option to consider.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Dan Crocker

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »

Saying that a proposed "solution" doesn't work (or is difficult) for a given situation is not always an excuse, it's sometimes just the reality :). Also, I took the original response to mean "move the monitor further away" but I suppose I could also try to reorient it to control how much of it is picked up by the choir mic. This is also not easy given the constrained space but I will give it a shot.
Your suggestion sounds a little more promising. I will give some more thought to the monitor the drummer uses. Maybe there is a better choice that lets him hear himself but doesn't require it to be so loud.
BTW, we have been considering IEMs but, for now, budgetary considerations have squashed that idea :(.
Thanks,
Dan

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 02:02:52 PM »

I took the original response to mean "move the monitor further away"

If instead, you move it closer, it can be quieter,

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »

Saying that a proposed "solution" doesn't work (or is difficult) for a given situation is not always an excuse, it's sometimes just the reality :). Also, I took the original response to mean "move the monitor further away" but I suppose I could also try to reorient it to control how much of it is picked up by the choir mic. This is also not easy given the constrained space but I will give it a shot.
Your suggestion sounds a little more promising. I will give some more thought to the monitor the drummer uses. Maybe there is a better choice that lets him hear himself but doesn't require it to be so loud.
BTW, we have been considering IEMs but, for now, budgetary considerations have squashed that idea :(.
Thanks,
Dan

And the proposed solution is fast and easy.  If it doesn't work, it was also free... :)

I understand how churches work, big and small.  Change of most any type is not considered, let alone embraced.  Be brave, Dan.  Fight the good fight.

And remember, the noise should be joyful, not painful... or least inspiring, not deafening.

At any rate, the point in my response to Dick Rees is that the most effective solutions to acoustic problems are not contained in a box with a cord, pilot lights or price tags.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 02:07:35 PM »

Thanks,
Dan

Move it to where it works.  If "where it works" is in the drummers ear, get something that you can put there.

You can also use a small shield in the direct line between the drum monitor and the choir mics.  Just like when a soccer or hockey goalie comes out of the goal to cut off a scoring lane, locate the shield close to the monitor and you can cut off an amazing amount of sound with a small chunk of plexiglass. 

I made some such shields which mount on some surplus wire music stand bases to place between cymbals and vocal mics.  They're no bigger than a couple of square feet, are see through, can be placed where you need them, etc, etc.

Just don't point the monitor at the mics... 
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dan Crocker

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 02:11:04 PM »

Sorry, I was talking about not being able to move the drum monitor much further away from the choir mic. I can see it wasn't all that clear :).
I do think one of the issues is that the drummer is very close to the piano. While his monitor is close to him, he still needs to turn it up to hear himself. If I can move him further from the piano, I think it would help. I actually play bass in the band and am also close to the piano because the drummer is, so I'm up kinda loud too. I guess I need to think about how to rearrange a few of the musicians...

If instead, you move it closer, it can be quieter,

Steve.

Dan Crocker

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 02:15:43 PM »

I had a good chuckle at this one. Sounds like you've been involved in church music :). What makes things more tricky here is that it's a catholic church. Music is not supposed to be the main focal point. So, we're shoved off into a corner. Fortunately, good music is valued so I do have a decent sound system and a good equipment. But, I can't propose a stage or anything terribly obtrusive. :).
But, I do have some latitude and a relatively open-minded pastor.
Thanks
Dan

And the proposed solution is fast and easy.  If it doesn't work, it was also free... :)

I understand how churches work, big and small.  Change of most any type is not considered, let alone embraced.  Be brave, Dan.  Fight the good fight.

And remember, the noise should be joyful, not painful... or least inspiring, not deafening.

At any rate, the point in my response to Dick Rees is that the most effective solutions to acoustic problems are not contained in a box with a cord, pilot lights or price tags.

Dan Crocker

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »

An interesting idea...
Thanks,
Dan

Move it to where it works.  If "where it works" is in the drummers ear, get something that you can put there.

You can also use a small shield in the direct line between the drum monitor and the choir mics.  Just like when a soccer or hockey goalie comes out of the goal to cut off a scoring lane, locate the shield close to the monitor and you can cut off an amazing amount of sound with a small chunk of plexiglass. 

I made some such shields which mount on some surplus wire music stand bases to place between cymbals and vocal mics.  They're no bigger than a couple of square feet, are see through, can be placed where you need them, etc, etc.

Just don't point the monitor at the mics...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 02:16:47 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.