ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC touchmix  (Read 34327 times)

Douglas R. Allen

Re: QSC touchmix
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 05:16:29 AM »

Anyone seen a price?

Douglas R. Allen

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

• Az Concert Sound Solutions
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 07:50:13 AM »

Anyone seen a price?

Douglas R. Allen

I have tentative map but not sure if I can say until pricing is officially announced.  I don't have dealer costs yet.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 08:33:07 AM »

No recallable preamps = fail. You'd think with all the bitching about Presonous lack of motorized faders and the Mackie DL's lack of recallable pre's that they wouldn't have made that mistake of not having fully automated channel strips. I realize it's an additional expense, but it's the wrong move. Folks would be willing to pay a bit more get that functionality I would think. I know I would. I'd rather spend more and get the right thing than buy this. I suspect others will feel the same. I could be wrong but I don't think so.

Actually Greg because there are no mechanical faders recall should have been the first thought in the design of the board. Also, there's so little actual hardware involved this board shouldn't go for much more than a cheap PC, maybe $500 street. If that were the case it would be worth the money for those small I don't care type of jobs. Other than that I wouldn't have a use for it at all.

I also agree with the cables pulling this thing off a table, or breaking something along the way.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 11:25:49 AM »

Would be interesting to have more info.  Some of the pictures on http://qsc.com/products/Mixers/Touchmix_Series/TouchMix-16/ even seem to show the smaller mixer screens or earlier software so I don't trust that info and a lot of details on the operation are not clear, for example are the aux sends fixed or selectable not just pre/post fader but also pre/post processing?  I did note that there is apparently no delay available on the inputs or outputs, so forget using the mixer to align to backline or to align mains and subs or anything like that.  And the mixer and channel presets seem limited to simple save and recall of all related settings, which may be fine for many of the intended users.

According to the currently posted specifications, the display is 6.1"x3.5", so a 7" diagonal touchscreen, smaller than a 9.7" diagonal iPad screen so it will be interesting to see how usable it actually is or how that affects the user interface.

With most or all of the inputs and outputs used I do see it getting top/back heavy but that seems applicable to all of the new small format digital mixers.

With the apparently non-recallable preamps pricing will probably need to be competitive with the Mackie DL (but with the caveat that you don't need to also account for the cost of an i-Pad as you do with the Mackie) or the StudioLive 16.0.2 or maybe 16.4.2.  I'm sure that being able to have a system consisting of a QSC mixer along with QSC powered speakers will be a big selling point just as it is now with PreSonus and has been to a lesser degree with Mackie.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »

http://qscmarketing.com/touchmix

Why a small touchscreen? There's going to be alot of scrolling...

If they make the touch screen much larger,  you might as well just bring a "regular" mixer. Why work off a screen you can hardly see with missing features?

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 11:48:41 AM »

Think of the small screen as the Mackie but usable without an iPad, and better with. You could mix on it in a pinch, but they're betting that since just about everyone on the planet owns an iPad (with another 25 million sold last quarter) you'll have a larger surface or 2 surfaces - use the iPad for faders and the QSC for EQ/dynamics, etc.

Definitely won't be for a lot of the people here, but I can see them selling a ton of these at the prices mentioned, given how well the Mackie iPad mixer is selling. With buttons like "Simple" and "Wizard," QSC knows who their target market is - and for this item it's definitely not people with 16, 24 or 48 channel snakes... I like the fact that they knew their target market, built features that would appeal to them, left out others, and priced it accordingly. They'll sell a shitload. If I were Presonus, I'd be even more nervous, with this now at the lower end and the QU-16 at the comparable price.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 11:57:24 AM »

The TouchMix-8 is expected to street for around $899.00 and the TM-16 for $1299.00 USD.

...for those who can't be bothered to read a 3 page thread.

I see it as a big step up from the Mackie, which is already a suprisingly functional piece of kit. XLR outputs, additional line ins, talkback, multitrack recording, (possibly) individual phantom, from a company with killer support. Granted, I'd love to see recallable head amps, but at least these are arranged the same as the input jacks. Mackie got an awful lot of the details wrong. I'm betting QSC's won't have a pin 1 problem, either. Mackie's does.

"The snake will pull the mixer off the table" is a ridiculous argument. No more true of this than of any small mixer made in the last 30 years.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

John Chiara

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »

Thing is this thing probably weighs about 5 lbs! 16+ snake cables and the associated gravitational pull will probably tip it up in end.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 12:50:24 PM »

QSC didn't design this for folks with 16+ snake cables. There are also such things as strain reliefs...

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »

Thing is this thing probably weighs about 5 lbs! 16+ snake cables and the associated gravitational pull will probably tip it up in end.

I don't know about you, but I don't generally let my snakes dangle from their XLRs.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.