ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: QSC touchmix  (Read 34329 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: QSC touchmix
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2014, 08:18:45 PM »

About the same amount of time either of you have spent to defend the QSC.......... Except I have used all the other Mixers that are mentioned and in direct competition to the QSC.

Every mixer you have ever used can provide a dedicated IEM mix. The QSC has 10 auxiliary mixes ( 8 if you use stereo cans ) and that's it. If your mixer has 20 aux's you can have 20 mono IEM's, or 10 stereo. I don't care if it's considered part of the Buss count or not. I am not going to spec a mixer that doesn't have what I need plus room for a little more. So the dedicated IEM out's is moot because I can still use them ( or all the others for that matter ) for any form of mix I desire.

So instead of bashing my opinion you could have actually produced viable and useful information that shows the weakness in my argument? The QSC mixer is " NOT BENDING ANY RULES " that sets them apart from others and is behind the curve if they are shooting to put the other vendors on the shelf. There are some cool features and it is a very usable mixer in every way I'm sure. I never said it was a crappy mixer, or a P.O.S. I said in a nutshell that it is not a game changing piece of innovation. It will be priced above other mixers that do basically what it does and below others that do the same thing. It does a couple things that the others won't, but at a cost, to which some may not find affordable considering other vendors have units at that price that will do more......
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 08:47:46 PM »

you could have actually produced viable and useful information that shows the weakness in my argument?

No, actually, I couldn't. Neither the Behringer nor the QSC exist yet. They won't for at least six months, and nobody knows what the feature set will be, so debating those feature sets is kind of silly. That was my primary point. The Behringer has been in process for a couple of years, and it looks like they've started over more than once.

As for IEMs, I've never seen a mixer with two independently addressable headphone amps built in. I think it's interesting. All XLR outputs is interesting, as well. Most everyone else is doing at least some 1/4". Nobody else's mixer says QSC on it, either. For me, that's also a very good feature. I've been dealing with their support for many many years, and it's always been excellent.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 10:13:27 PM »

I used the X18 as example for units that are comparable in terms of features. The vaporware side of things apart, it is still something to chew on. Based on what you say, you should have had no reason to care about my opinion and make any comment on it at all?

I could be wrong entirely? The QSC could end up being the best thing since sliced bread? In this case I highly doubt it though...... QSC makes great products, but are generally more expensive than other similar products that are just as good. This isn't a slam on QSC. They currently have one of the best warranty programs and rarely fail. I have seen many fail though, so they are not immune to it. Currently however there is a series of different units that are priced at the same point as the QSC Touchmix ( speculated street price ) that exceed what the QSC is slated to do. The built in headphone amps may be cool, but seems to be a feature only usable for a band member sitting right next to the mixer? Conversely how would that effect it's use to actually utilize the outputs for driving a power amp or other outboard gear? The mostly XLR output is cool, but not the game changer either. There is no real caveat to having a TRS connection. They do save space and allow for more connections in a smaller space and most amps at the level this mixer is priced in will also have a TRS input. Sonically they are the same; it's just not an XLR.

I'm not a brand fanboy and like different brands for different reasons. I will not buy a product and spend the extra money on it simply because it says XXX on the side. If that is the motivation for product purchase, then I am in the wrong field. Of course I look at things from a business aspect too. The ROI is a large part and providing the needed tools for the client base I desire is paramount. I don't care what it says on the side, it has to make money and fullfil the needs. The price difference of even a couple hundred bucks can be the difference between another year before an ROI? The longer you take to get an ROI, the larger your chance of never getting it there is. Murphy's law...... Two months after the warranty ends and two months before you pay the thing off it breaks........ Shunning a product simply because it says XXX on the side is denying the possibility to offer a more competitive product at a more competitive price.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Scott Bolt

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »

Seen numbers yet? Or a shipping date?
Dan,
Features and price, yes, shipping date ..... not so much.

I would be willing to bet that the QSC Touchmix ships before the X18 (as much as 8 months before).  Behringer have a long and honored tradition of showing products off at NAMM that are not realized until the next NAMM ..... and sometimes even longer.

Still, the X18 will eventually be released, and will have recallable head amps, Android support, iPad support, and PC support from the X32 infrastructure already in place..... and it will cost less than the QSC.  That will be some stiff competition IMHO (when it arrives).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 10:44:44 PM »

About the same amount of time either of you have spent to defend the QSC.......... Except I have used all the other Mixers that are mentioned and in direct competition to the QSC.

Every mixer you have ever used can provide a dedicated IEM mix. The QSC has 10 auxiliary mixes ( 8 if you use stereo cans ) and that's it. If your mixer has 20 aux's you can have 20 mono IEM's, or 10 stereo. I don't care if it's considered part of the Buss count or not. I am not going to spec a mixer that doesn't have what I need plus room for a little more. So the dedicated IEM out's is moot because I can still use them ( or all the others for that matter ) for any form of mix I desire.

I don't think you and your uses are the intended market for this mixer.  In fact, I don't think most of us are who this is aimed at.

As for comparing different odors of vaporware, I'll leave that to others.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 10:37:53 AM »

I don't think you and your uses are the intended market for this mixer.  In fact, I don't think most of us are who this is aimed at.

Yeah, there seem to be people here who are more interested in marketing than live sound.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 02:14:38 PM »

As for comparing different odors of vaporware, I'll leave that to others.

I think if you haven't been a product development manager in an audio field, you should limit your comments to features YOU may or may not want, and leave the comments about market position to those paid to do that, or have previously experience making those decisions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 02:15:33 PM »

I agree with Tim.

I think if you haven't been a product development manager in an audio field, you should limit your comments to features YOU may or may not want, and leave the comments about market position to those paid to do that, or have previously experience making those decisions.

Jay Barracato

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »

Even then a professional "informed" opinion is still an opinion. I have seen my share of professional guessing miss wildly both high and low, while not at the same time.  8)

This seems like good sport, just do not get too invested in your personal guesses. Unless it is your money on the line developing these products it's just mental masturbation, and kibitzing.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »

Unless it is your money on the line developing these products it's just mental masturbation, and kibitzing.
JR

Can you go blind from that?  If so, there would be a lot of visually 
impaired people here!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:35:39 PM by Chuck Simon »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 03:32:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.