ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Corporate RF  (Read 11096 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Corporate RF
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 08:19:21 AM »

Currently only the two and four channel units have Dante. The singles do not.

With single units it probably doesn't make much sense to use Dante since it is back to 1 cable per device. You lose head amp control when you use Dante and only have digital gain. For some people that is an uncomfortable situation.

Mac

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 08:21:03 AM »

Mac,
Do you ever work in the Boston area?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 08:26:34 AM »

With single units it probably doesn't make much sense to use Dante since it is back to 1 cable per device. You lose head amp control when you use Dante and only have digital gain. For some people that is an uncomfortable situation.

Mac
I do some TV shows where we have started to use shared gain and receivers with digital out, but the OB guys get really uncomfortable when the vocal tracks in pro-tools do not "look right" gain-wise.

Neil White

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »

With single units it probably doesn't make much sense to use Dante since it is back to 1 cable per device.

Have you got the Dante network set up with separate Primary and Secondary switches with two connections to each quad receiver?

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 09:20:16 AM »

Have you got the Dante network set up with separate Primary and Secondary switches with two connections to each quad receiver?

Yes. You can see the 2 switches in the top post. In addition to the 40 ULX-Ds we have a Rio3224 and a Rio 1608. The 1608 is in video for PB and Rec, the 3224 is in RF land for the UHF-Rs and the drive lines. everything is run with a redundant connection.

My earlier post should have said that singles would have 2 cables per device via Dante vs 1 cable with analog.

Mac
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:24:16 AM by Mac Kerr »

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »

Mac,
Do you ever work in the Boston area?

I work wherever they send me, lately not to Boston.

Mac

Jordan Wolf

Corporate RF
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 10:10:30 AM »

Hey Mac,

There's a show here in Philly spec'd to have around 50 RF mics (down from the original 108) ; I was put on another show, but was hoping to try the ULX-Ds in High Density mode.  It was supposed to be 1-2 TX per breakout room, but I think some of the spaces were small enough to not warrant reinforcement.

Had I been put on that show, I was planning to zone the mics via Workbench since the high density mode drops the RF power.

What do you think of IAS?  It looks quite helpful for the pre-production and setup phases; have you found it lacking?  I haven't tried it out yet.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Scott Helmke

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 10:15:35 AM »

Yes. You can see the 2 switches in the top post. In addition to the 40 ULX-Ds we have a Rio3224 and a Rio 1608. The 1608 is in video for PB and Rec, the 3224 is in RF land for the UHF-Rs and the drive lines. everything is run with a redundant connection.

We ended up buying two different colors of patch cables, for primary vs. secondary. Since you won't get a clear error message from a mixup it's saved a few headaches.

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Corporate RF Coord software
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 10:52:16 AM »

What do you think of IAS?  It looks quite helpful for the pre-production and setup phases; have you found it lacking?  I haven't tried it out yet.

I like IAS, it is what I use. It has been the standard of the industry for a while, and users have confidence in it. That said, I have heard very good things about Wireless Workbench 6. On this show we did the coord with IAS, but are monitoring the RF with WW6. The biggest advantage to WW6 may be the price, it's free. For now, since I already own IAS, and I am used to it and confident in it, I'll be sticking to it.

Both WW6 and IAS can do zones, so you can increase the available frequencies by not doing IM for mics that are never going to cause IM. The software will just look for direct hits in other zones.

Mac

Mac Kerr

• Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »

We ended up buying two different colors of patch cables, for primary vs. secondary. Since you won't get a clear error message from a mixup it's saved a few headaches.

Color coding would be nice, but with a shop the size of PRG sorting the CAT5 cable isn't going to happen. With 10 devices in 1 rack it was pretty easy to make sure it was patched right. In a more spread out system I might be more inclined to insist on color coding, although the long runs are all going to be black.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.