ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Corporate RF  (Read 11143 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Corporate RF
« on: January 22, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »

This week I have been sitting backstage in lower Manhattan with a bunch of RF Q&A mics and some lavs. The PA is small, some d&b E12s on sticks, and some more as delays on a truss. There are 34 tables in the room, and each one has a Q&A mic. There are also 12 lavs. Here are a couple of shots of the RF racks before we left the shop, front and back. All the audio is connected to a CL-5 via Dante.

Mac

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Corporate RF
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 05:34:03 PM »

Very nice. I really really like the ULXDs. Not having to ever worry about transmitter AF levels can be a very wonderful thing.

Ahh, the Corp world, where there's more money spent on the RF rack than on the console.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »

After all it is the quality of the source that makes the sound.  Mixer can be important to because of the routing and the control of the signals coming in. 

That is starting to look more like the rack of switching in the closet for a computer network.  It must be nice to replace that huge weight of audio cables with eithernet.   Is the color of the cables to any defined rolls?

The color code of the cables and defined rolls may be something to look into for troubleshooting. 

Have any of these devices started to see any IPV6 structures? 

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 05:58:26 PM »

Mac, how much help is the ULX-D approach vs. traditional with respect to fitting in all those channels in a busy city? Big difference? Are you using the low-power/high-density setting at all?

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 06:31:04 PM »

Mac, how much help is the ULX-D approach vs. traditional with respect to fitting in all those channels in a busy city? Big difference? Are you using the low-power/high-density setting at all?

Last time I did a show like (the same as?) that we were in the sub basement of a hotel with an absolutely clear UHF spectrum and used all the available UHF-R bands and it was simple.

The Networked audio is the real star.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »

Embarrassingly, that's my chicken scratch on the UHF-R rack.  I'm surprised it's still there.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 07:16:44 PM »

The ULX-D capabilities didn't really come into play. We are not running in Hi Density mode, we are at 10mw, and we ran a regular frequency coordination with IAS. We have 40 ULX-Ds, 8 UHF-Rs, and 1 BTR800, and we are in a part of Manhattan that is presently not too bad for RF. When the broadcasters move their transmitters back down to WTC things may be different, but here on the river right next to the World Financial Center we are pretty clear.

The resistance to creation of IM products in the ULXs may be making our job easier, but we would still be able to do it with UHF-Rs. This job wanted the extra security of the encryption, although the fact that we also have 8 UHF-Rs sort of negates that. This is a bit of a test run for a system of more ULX-Ds.

We did do a walk test with one of the mics at 1mw to see how it worked. As expected the RF was down somewhere between 10 and 20dB (should be -10dB), but we still had full bars everywhere in the ballroom. We stuck with 10mw because we could, and because of lack of experience at those low power levels.

Mac

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:35:19 PM »

Hmmm, ULX-D does Dante? Wow, missed that. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 02:26:21 AM »

Yeah, you can even control the discovery and patching of the ULX-D from the CL, since version 1.61 (?).
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 07:55:36 AM »

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Currently only the two and four channel units have Dante. The singles do not.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 07:55:36 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 24 queries.