ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Community iLF218 vs. Danley TH115  (Read 19262 times)

Alex Thompson

• Central Ohio Sound
Re: Community iLF218 vs. Danley TH115 (update)
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 05:31:53 PM »

Of course at levels  up to a dB or so below max output, then going from 8 to 4 ohms would yield a 3dB increase.

It is just the "max output" in which the power does not double.

Al the P7000 is not that great of an amp-especially for subs.

Back in my contractor days we used 2 basic amps in that power range-the P7000 and the Crest CA12.

The CA12 was still a budget Crest amp-but we offered it as an upgrade to the P7000 if the budget allowed.

On many jobs we used the same speakers and all the jobs with the Crest just had more "oomph" to the sound.  It was just more impactful-dynamic-punchier etc.

The P7000 was clean enough-but there was just "something missing" when pushed a little bit.

Those were my observations-based on a number of different installs.

No I never did a side by side test on the two amps-so take it for what you will.

Thank you for confirming what I though about the 3dB increase @ 4ohm.

The P7000S is not my first choice for subs, or anything else, but it is the best I could afford way back when and it is the biggest amp in the rack that happened to be in the shop at the time.

FWIW, I've powered a pair of my UCS1's 8ohm stereo (700W each) from the P7000S and 4ohm bridged from a Crest CC2800 (1400W each) and could not hear the difference.  A single channel of the P7000S got surprisingly loud in the shop with the TH115s and iLF218, so much so that I have not yet seen a clip light in all my testing.

I really am not a fan recently of Crest amps due to several failures of the CC series in some of my recent installs.  Had 3 main board failures and 2 "sloppy assembly" problems.  CC series is built in China.  I've switched over to EV Q series for budget installs.

I'm thinking of using for subs QSC PL340 or Ashly KLR4000. They are both light enough, will do 4000W at 4ohm bridged and are about the same price.  I would prefer to not run 4ohm bridged but there's not a lot that will run 4ohm stereo @ 4000w that is at the right price.

Alex Thompson
Joy Audio Visual, LLC
d.b.a. Central Ohio Sound
www.centralohiosound.com

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »

FWIW, I've powered a pair of my UCS1's 8ohm stereo (700W each) from the P7000S and 4ohm bridged from a Crest CC2800 (1400W each) and could not hear the difference.

I would prefer to not run 4ohm bridged but there's not a lot that will run 4ohm stereo @ 4000w that is at the right price.

Using music and pink noise I tested a SpeakerPower SP-4000 plate amp against all the amps in house, a Crest CC2800, a Crest CA-9, an old Crown PSA 2 (weighs 8 times more than the SP-4000 !) and a QSC PLX-3602.

The SP 4000 is rated 2000 watts at 4 ohms, the PSA 2 something like 700-900, the CA-9 is rated at about 1800 watts bridged mono 4 ohm, while the CC-2800 is rated 2800 watts.

All the rack amps are capable of 4 ohm bridged mono operation, so a single four ohm load was used.

With music and pink noise into a BC18SW115-4 loaded bass reflex speaker,  the Torpedo equaled the SPL output of the CA-9 and the PLX 3602 (though one 3602 died during testing) put out about 4 dB more than the PSA 2, and 5 dB more than the CC-2800.

The CC-2800 just "folds up" (and sounds bad) when the clip limiter hits, the old CA-9 (and all the CA series) just keep going, peak power is way more than the rated power.

I'm using them bridged mono to power my BC18SW115-4 Keystone subs (similar to the DSL TH-118 in output, phase and frequency response) but could still use about 3 dB more power, but the CA-18 is just too heavy and big..

Art

Alex Thompson

• Central Ohio Sound
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 09:30:08 AM »

Using music and pink noise I tested a SpeakerPower SP-4000 plate amp against all the amps in house, a Crest CC2800, a Crest CA-9, an old Crown PSA 2 (weighs 8 times more than the SP-4000 !) and a QSC PLX-3602.

The SP 4000 is rated 2000 watts at 4 ohms, the PSA 2 something like 700-900, the CA-9 is rated at about 1800 watts bridged mono 4 ohm, while the CC-2800 is rated 2800 watts.

All the rack amps are capable of 4 ohm bridged mono operation, so a single four ohm load was used.

With music and pink noise into a BC18SW115-4 loaded bass reflex speaker,  the Torpedo equaled the SPL output of the CA-9 and the PLX 3602 (though one 3602 died during testing) put out about 4 dB more than the PSA 2, and 5 dB more than the CC-2800.

The CC-2800 just "folds up" (and sounds bad) when the clip limiter hits, the old CA-9 (and all the CA series) just keep going, peak power is way more than the rated power.

I'm using them bridged mono to power my BC18SW115-4 Keystone subs (similar to the DSL TH-118 in output, phase and frequency response) but could still use about 3 dB more power, but the CA-18 is just too heavy and big..

Art

That confirms what I've been suspecting.  I watched the clip lights occasionally flicker on a CC2800 (mid/high 8ohm stereo) from close range for 3 hours Friday night and was very underwhelmed by the SPL.

Alex Thompson
Joy Audio Visual, LLC
www.centralohiosound.com

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2014, 01:46:57 PM »

That confirms what I've been suspecting.  I watched the clip lights occasionally flicker on a CC2800 (mid/high 8ohm stereo) from close range for 3 hours Friday night and was very underwhelmed by the SPL.
I had built a pair of 2x10" tapped horns and had been using the CC2800 (which Crest had substituted for an earlier switching PS amp that blew up under warranty) for testing them.
I knew the 10" did not have much Xmax, and had assumed the "farting" noise I heard when the CC2800 hit clip/limit was the speakers- after trying other amps found the 2x10" could go way louder than I thought without sounding bad.

I only use that amp for low level testing and gigs now..

John Rutirasiri

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 02:14:08 AM »

I'm going to have to ignore the 2' close measurement and go with my ears on this one.  Perhaps when I get them outside I'll feel differently but the iLF218 sounded like there was more in this range.
Based only on published specs, I'd totally agree.  The TH118 beats almost everything on the market in dB/Ft^3 but it does not beat iLF218 it $/dB.  Since I'm more short on $ than Ft^3 I'd go with the iLF218 if I was ordering today.

I have the TH118's and JTR Orbit Shifters in our shop.  In terms of dB/$, it's the Orbit Shifter by a good margin.  At $1699, it is a steal.  I consider them to be the same class of "super subs."

-JR
ClearImpact Sound & Event Services, Inc.
Sound/Lighting/Corporate A/V

"If it ain't broke, make it better."

Alex Thompson

• Central Ohio Sound
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 02:19:13 PM »

I have the TH118's and JTR Orbit Shifters in our shop.  In terms of dB/$, it's the Orbit Shifter by a good margin.  At $1699, it is a steal.  I consider them to be the same class of "super subs."

-JR

The JTR's did look interesting to me but if I do buy anything, I have specific criteria that must be met.  In addition to the $/dB figure I also have a dB/Ft^3 specification that must be met, which happens to be double the figure for the Yorkville USC1's I already own.  Unfortunately the Orbit Shifter does not meet that requirement based on published specifications.

For now, I've swapped out a couple of my Crest CC2800 amps for some used PLX3602 and that has made a very big difference in subwoofer output and sound quality so I'm in no hurry at this time to buy anything.
Alex Thompson
Joy Audio Visual, LLC
www.centralohiosound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 02:19:13 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.