ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which way do you send monitor mixes from FOH?

pre fader pre EQ
- 22 (26.8%)
pre fader post EQ
- 40 (48.8%)
post fader post EQ
- 0 (0%)
duplicate channel strip
- 19 (23.2%)
I never do monitors from FOH
- 1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: January 27, 2014, 08:32:49 AM

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH monitor mix sends  (Read 16867 times)

Nick Enright

• Detroit, MI
Re: FOH monitor mix sends
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 02:24:30 PM »

I had a discussion with someone on another forum and am curious how others route FOH monitor mixes.
The EQ in question is the channel strip and there is an inline EQ (graph or para) to EQ the overall mix.
The imaginary console will allow you to select any of those configurations.

On my console the auxes are pre-insert/eq/fader... that's just how it's setup. (AH2400)

On a digital desk I would likely duplicate channels and set the whole monitor system up with it's own page. Depends on how much time I've got. If I didn't have a lot of time I'd set up the desk so it was more similar to what I'm used to.

Nick
Nick Enright
Owner / Engineer
Lyve Productions
Detroit, MI

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2014, 02:56:55 AM »

As to the responses that are pre fader post EQ.
Is this your choice if you are sending from a strip and not using a duplicate channel strip?
I'm curious as to how you manage to adjust strip EQ for the FOH mix and not affect the what the musician is hearing.

You do affect what the musicians are hearing when you adjust strip EQ.  You have to keep that in mind.  If the MON and FOH mixes are tuned well, it's not that big of a deal.  I think it's better than the alternative, which is no EQ on the monitor input channels.

Nicolas Poisson

• Paris, France
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2014, 03:38:35 AM »

You do affect what the musicians are hearing when you adjust strip EQ.  You have to keep that in mind.  If the MON and FOH mixes are tuned well, it's not that big of a deal.  I think it's better than the alternative, which is no EQ on the monitor input channels.
That is my opinion too. However I did use pre/pre configuration from time to time, and the artists were happy with the monitor mix. I guess adjusting levels in the monitor mix is 90% of the work. Most artists can work with just that. Monitor is a technical mix, musos are rather tolerant as long as :
- they hear themselves
- they are confident that what comes out from the FoH is good.

I had artists complaining about what they hear in the monitor. They came into the venue, were satisfied with the sound and told me: "don't bother any longer with the monitor, that's OK in the FoH".

Rob Dellwood

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 12:49:49 AM »

On analog boards (pre fader, post EQ), I try always to run separate FOH and MON channels for the main artist /lead vocalist so FOH changes will not affect the monitor mix. Don't usually have enough spare channels to do the other vocals.  When running one channel for both FOH and mons, I am surprised at how many people can tell when I am making subtle changes in their EQ for FOH, since it affects their monitor mixes. Some notice everything, and others don't seem to notice or care, so long as there are no feedback issues. 

On digital boards, I set up as many duplicate vocal channels as I have available so they all get separate monitor channels.  I try to spend time getting the stage monitors to sound great with the vocal mics.  I think that goes a long way to having happy artists.  Once you get them done, you don't usually need to adjust again except for overall volume as needed.  The ability to use an iPad or tablet to be on stage and stand next to the artists while working on their monitors is invaluable. 

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 01:47:19 AM »

On analog boards (pre fader, post EQ)

I always assumed that analogue mixers were pre eq only. 

I have a related question.  Would I be correct in assuming that monitor sends on analogue are also pre insert?

Steve.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 04:10:02 AM »

I always assumed that analogue mixers were pre eq only. 

I have a related question.  Would I be correct in assuming that monitor sends on analogue are also pre insert?

Steve.

Depends on the board. My analog board's axes are all selectable in regards to pre or post fader(global for each aux) but are always post fader and insert.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running OmniROM 4.4 KitKat using Tapatalk Pro

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 07:15:28 AM »

I have always tried to do the monitor mix pre/pre and use the buss EQ to tune and it has worked well for me for many years.
Having read these responses, I may try instruments post EQ and keep vocals pre or on a duplicate strip.
But so far, no complaints so what ain't broke....
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 09:55:28 AM »

Depends on the board. My analog board's axes are all selectable in regards to pre or post fader(global for each aux) but are always post fader and insert.

And just to make life really interesting, there are some analog consoles where the pre-fade aux sends can be either pre-EQ or post-EQ depending on the position of a jumper inside the console...
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 10:13:37 AM »

So the answer for this question (as with adult incontinence) seems to be: Depends!

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »

So the answer for this question (as with adult incontinence) seems to be: Depends!
True . (Depends LOL!)
However, as with the people I asked in person, the choice is sometimes driven by what the console hard config has been in the past rather than what the person actually wanted. So we get used to doing it that way.
These days, we have MUCH better choices for configurations...thankfully!!
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 28 queries.