ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which way do you send monitor mixes from FOH?

pre fader pre EQ
- 22 (26.8%)
pre fader post EQ
- 40 (48.8%)
post fader post EQ
- 0 (0%)
duplicate channel strip
- 19 (23.2%)
I never do monitors from FOH
- 1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: January 27, 2014, 08:32:49 AM

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: FOH monitor mix sends  (Read 16874 times)

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
Re: FOH monitor mix sends
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 11:58:02 AM »

I always assumed that analogue mixers were pre eq only. 

I have a related question.  Would I be correct in assuming that monitor sends on analogue are also pre insert?

Steve.

Two examples of small analog boards:

Mackie 1604 VLZ Pro: preamp -> insert -> HPF -> pre sends -> eq -> mute -> fader -> post sends & direct out -> pan -> bus assign.

I modded mine to move the pre sends after the eq and mute.

Soundcraft GB2R: polarity -> preamp -> HPF -> insert & direct out (pre) -> (mute* ->) pre sends (mod) -> eq -> (mute* ->) pre sends (default) -> mute* -> fader -> post sends & direct out (post) -> pan -> bus assign.

*Mute is one DPDT switch per channel. (Mute) preceding send affects only that send. This is to make pre eq sends follow channel muting.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 12:48:26 PM by Patrick Tracy »

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 12:45:30 PM »

This thread has been quite interesting to me.  I had always assumed that every analogue mixer I have used over the last twenty five years had pre-eq monitor sends but I'm not sure now!

Steve.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »

This thread has been quite interesting to me.  I had always assumed that every analogue mixer I have used over the last twenty five years had pre-eq monitor sends but I'm not sure now!

Steve.

The execrable Yammy MG series "pre" sends are post EQ, pre fader.  Our local PAC has 2 of them.  The stage hands fight over who has to use them when the 20 year old Soundcrafts are in the shop.

Oh, the Soundcrafts are being replaced with X32s.  I'd rather pitch the Yammys in favor of the X32. Grrr.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 01:39:45 PM »

The execrable Yammy MG series "pre" sends are post EQ, pre fader.  Our local PAC has 2 of them.  The stage hands fight over who has to use them when the 20 year old Soundcrafts are in the shop.

Oh, the Soundcrafts are being replaced with X32s.  I'd rather pitch the Yammys in favor of the X32. Grrr.

So let's just call the MG the "X-ecrable 32"...

How's the weather down south???  The latest 32 we've had here was 32 below last night.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »

So let's just call the MG the "X-ecrable 32"...

How's the weather down south???  The latest 32 we've had here was 32 below last night.

We're in the balmy tropics, a thrilling 13°F right now.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2014, 02:56:34 PM »

Just to be contrary-and most of you know far more than me, but I have always run post-fade, post eq.  That being said, program material is traditional church music-primarily vocals with a piano-and most talent is from our church so they don't know any different, but even visiting groups and groups from our church that travel seem to like it this way.

A couple  other factors-relatively small, but very lively venue, so mon mix affects the house significantly (it is what it is!), and the pastor often tweaks/judges the mix from the platform where he mainly hears mon mix.  Also, some groups used to travelling to smaller churches are accustomed to "mixing themselves" with mic placement so an mon mix that reflects FOH helps them as well.
Steve Swaffer

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »

Just to be contrary-and most of you know far more than me, but I have always run post-fade, post eq.

I tend to run effects (if in monitors) and backing tracks post fader when possible.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2014, 03:45:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.