ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: PSM 1000  (Read 36728 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: PSM 1000
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »

Following up on these initial reports, we did implement some changes and made improvements to the audio circuitry, which has eliminated the issue entirely. Any new PSM1000 system purchased through an authorized Shure dealer will not exhibit this effect, regardless of the source material or gain settings.
Thank you for that information.

Is the change in the receivers or transmitters or both?
What serial numbers are before the circuit change?
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Gino Sigismondi

• Shure Support Website
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »

Excellent question, Andrew! The audio improvement is in the receiver. We have made a few changes to the transmitter as well, but nothing that really impacts what you're hearing.

To identify units with the new audio circuitry, rather than using the serial number, look at the silver sticker on the back of the pack. There will be a numeral "1" right before the words "Made in China."
Gino Sigismondi
Senior Manager, Shure Systems Support
[email protected]
847-600-8541

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »

Thank you, Gino!

This will really help when renting PSM1000 systems to see if they have updated their receivers.

Is there a firmware change required as well?
-Andy

Gino Sigismondi

• Shure Support Website
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »

Thank you, Gino!

This will really help when renting PSM1000 systems to see if they have updated their receivers.

Is there a firmware change required as well?

No firmware change required.

It's worth noting that some of the larger sound companies had some units modified by us before the official change went through, so, depending on who your provider is, it's worth just asking as well. They might have "unmarked" units that were upgraded earlier. But the units marked with the "1" are definitely new.
Gino Sigismondi
[email protected]
847-600-8541

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 10:12:26 PM »

Great stuff! Thanks again.
-Andy

Harro Veldhuizen

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2014, 01:13:11 PM »

Excellent question, Andrew! The audio improvement is in the receiver. We have made a few changes to the transmitter as well, but nothing that really impacts what you're hearing.

To identify units with the new audio circuitry, rather than using the serial number, look at the silver sticker on the back of the pack. There will be a numeral "1" right before the words "Made in China."

Thanks Gino,

I have a new PSM1000 system (1 before the words "Made in China"). Unfortunately I still get complaints from band members of a extreme compressor on their ears.
Can this have something to do with a 4dB boost of the high end of the signal I give on the console in addition to the Hi boost on the belt pack (the ones with cheap in-ears ask me for a an additional high boost)?

In addition I don't get why there is a offset in clipping the Transmitter and belt pack.
I understand I unfortunately cannot drive the PSM1000 hot from the console without lowering the gain on the transmitter.

The offset:
Listening to a 1K test tone on the transmitter: distortion occurs from a level beyond clip led of transmitter. This is what I would expect.
Listening to a 1K test tone on the belt pack: distortion occurs from a level of first orange led of transmitter. At this level the belt pack level indicator shows full. :-\
Any change to the input gain of the transmitter doesn't change this. first orange led gives a distortion of the 1K test tone on the belt pack.

Now I have to be sure I never get a orange led blink. When you ask me, this is a strange gain structure.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 06:30:07 PM by Harro Veldhuizen »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »

The 17dB offset:
Listening to a 1K test tone on the transmitter: distortion occurs from a level beyond clip led of transmitter. This is what I would expect.
Listening to a 1K test tone on the belt pack: distortion occurs from a level of first orange led of transmitter. At this level the belt pack level indicator shows full. :-\
Any change to the input gain of the transmitter doesn't change this. first orange led gives a distortion of the 1K test tone on the belt pack.

Now I have to be sure I never get a orange led blink. When you ask me, this is a strange gain structure.
Do you have the receivers Output Gain set to High? That will add 10db of boost. Not sure where the additional 7db would come from, though...
-Andy

Harro Veldhuizen

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »

Do you have the receivers Output Gain set to High? That will add 10db of boost. Not sure where the additional 7db would come from, though...

Sometimes I have to go to high gain but I try not to because of the finer control of the gain with the belt pack at low gain setting. When I have the receivers output gain set to high the receiver still gets distorted from the first orange led on the transmitter, be it at a higher output level.
I would expect to be safe when seeing only green and orange leds on the transmitter / Wireless workbench. But unfortunately this is not the case.

After spending a view hours with my Smaart rig, a new PSM1000 (1 before "Made in China" on label) and an old PSM1000, I have found a workable situation (without distortion or artifact with single sine wave). My conclusion is an input gain on transmitter of -20dB (old PSM1000 could have less reduction but I like to have all gains the same).

Test 1: Dance track:
frequency response looks smooth on both new and old PSM1000. A difference is the high boost setting on the belt pack.
old PSM1000: high boost OFF on belt pack: 0 dB on frequency response (11 kHz)
old PSM1000: high boost +4 dB on belt pack: +4 dB on frequency response (11 kHz)
new PSM1000: high boost OFF on belt pack: +3.5 dB on frequency response (13 kHz)
new PSM1000: high boost +4 dB on belt pack: +8 dB on frequency response (13 kHz)

Test 2: Dance track added with a single sine wave tried at different frequencies:
(I lowered the Dance track so input to transmitter was the same)
Frequency response looks smooth on new PSM1000. On old PSM1000 there is an addition of 3dB visible on the sine wave frequency (not smooth).
The thing that concerns me more is de level of the old PSM1000 getting 2-3 dB louder over the whole frequency spectrum when I turn on a sine wave on a single frequency (frequency independent). The same thing happens when de bass stops in the dance track, this adds 4 dB to the whole spectrum. When the bass is back the whole spectrum lowers by 4 dB again.
The change in response starts immediately with the sine wave or bass being removed or added and takes 1-2 seconds to get to the 2-3 dB / 4 dB difference.

I am happy I have found the leveling / compressing issue being solved in the new PSM1000. The only thing is: I have to stay on the green leds (input level meter on transmitter).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 07:49:11 AM by Harro Veldhuizen »

Gino Sigismondi

• Shure Support Website
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2014, 12:13:16 PM »

Harro,

I expect that some of the anomalies you're experiencing are largely due to the additional high frequency boost you are adding at the console. The signal levels shown on the P10T meter are pre-modulation. In any FM analog, a significant amount of high frequency boost is added (called pre-emphasis) as a form of noise reduction. The receiver applies a de-emphasis filter to restore the original frequency response and reducing any noise picked up along the way. By boosting high frequency content on your mixes, when combined with the pre-emphasis, it's entirely likely that you are over-modulating the signal, but you don't see this on the transmitter meters because the pre-emphasis hasn't been applied yet.

In this case, the meter on the receiver provides a more accurate view of what's actually going on. In general, however, we are strong advocates of avoiding additive high-frequency EQ when feeding analog, stereo-multiplexed systems. While PSM1000 can deal with this a lot better than past systems, there's still a 19 kHz pilot tone that should be protected whenever possible. Interfering with the pilot tone can degrade stereo imaging and cause other undesirable audio artifacts.

The high-frequency boost on the receiver is provided for exactly this reason, so you can brighten up the mix without having to push excessive high-frequency content into the transmitter. If the hi-boost on the pack is still not enough, then that talent should probably consider a better earphone!  ;)
Gino Sigismondi
[email protected]
847-600-8541

Harro Veldhuizen

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »

The high-frequency boost on the receiver is provided for exactly this reason, so you can brighten up the mix without having to push excessive high-frequency content into the transmitter. If the hi-boost on the pack is still not enough, then that talent should probably consider a better earphone!  ;)

Thanks Gino for your explanation. I will think about this in the future.
For now I find the leveling / compression issue being solved with the new (upgraded) PSM1000 series.

I assume the distortion before red clip led has nothing to do with the pilot tone being altered. This can be easy tested with a sine wave with or without music without pushing the high-frequency content (from first orange led distortion is audible).
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:38:14 PM by Harro Veldhuizen »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2014, 12:39:49 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.