ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Triing to find interim sub placement solution  (Read 2384 times)

chris broadway

Triing to find interim sub placement solution
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:39:31 PM »

The speaker setup in my church is not optimal.  The room dimensions are about 60 feet wide by 80 feet long.  The stage only leaves 5 feet from the wall on each side.  The stage is enclosed and carpeted with three steps down to the floor level.  The current sub placement is one on each side of the stage (about 50 feet from each other).  this causes issues and sub "gaps" and loss.  Eventually I would love to move them to a cluster in the center (they are too tall by one inch to fit under the stage and having screens inbetween the steps).  In the interim, I am thinking a couple possible solutions.  One,keep them in front of the stage and move them as close together as the cable will allow.  They would be about 30-35 feet apart at this point.  Two, move them to the rear and corner boost.  If I did this, I would need delay on the highs/mids cluster in the center as the subs would be about 10 feet behind them.  If I move them to the corner, they would have the wall on two sides and 4 feet on the opposite side would be the stage stairs.  Would this cut my wavelength and create sound gaps?  what does everyone here think?

duane massey

Re: Triing to find interim sub placement solution
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:28:28 PM »

Extend the cable and put them in the center.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

chris broadway

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 08:23:23 PM »

Extend the cable and put them in the center.

That was not option one or two.  The reason is the subs would be right in the center at the bottom of the steps, where people come to kneel.  if they were under the steps, as most churches have it, the ascetics would be better. I know ultimately I need to cluster them in the center.  So, out of the two options which is better...if any.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 04:12:21 PM »

The room modes are probably going to dominate the sub coverage.

There is nothing you can do about that-except build a larger room and move the modes down in freq.

Yes placement can be an issue and will have its own problems.

There are things to consider.  Yes a center placement will provide a "smoother" coverage-HOWEVER the thing many people forget (or ignore) is the simple fact that it will ALSO be louder right in the middle.  Sol off to the sides the levels will be lower.

While spaced subs do have interactions/cancellations etc, often they can provide a more "even" SPL coverage (overall bass wise).

It is a matter of tradeoffs and there is no simple answer.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 08:19:26 PM »

Old-school suggestion: experiment. Move them around to the various options and see which compromise works best.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »

Old-school suggestion: experiment. Move them around to the various options and see which compromise works best.
BUT BE SURE to listen is all sorts of different various positions.

What would provide great sound for one seat could be bad for many others.

Hence the reason it is not so easy-unless there is only 1 position of importance.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 10:46:18 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.