ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fader as compared to main levels  (Read 12834 times)

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
Re: Fader as compared to main levels
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 10:34:56 AM »

I set the preamp gain so the signal was about -12dBFS. The channel and main faders were set to about -6dBFS and the associated subgroup was set to 0dB. It was plenty loud but not ridiculously loud.

<snip>
What puzzled me was the loudness with the condenser mic. With the input gain set such that the signal level was also -12dBFS and main fader set the same as above, I needed to reduce the channel fader significantly to get the same loudness as with the dynamic mic. I was expecting that if the signal level coming from the preamp was the same for both mics, the fader settings for the channel and the mains would more or less be the same. What am I missing? Note that the dynamic mic was plugging into a channel that was going through a subgroup while the condenser mic wasn't, but the subgroup fader was set to 0dBFS so, as far as I understand, this shouldn't have changed the signal level.

Remember what I said right at the start of the thread about consoles often reducing signal level at bus or main fader stages to prevent overdriving them?
Sounds like you've just discovered exactly that.
Or, there may be some setting on the subgroup, like maybe a compressor engaged, that you've overlooked.
Cheers,
David.

Dan Crocker

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 11:00:06 AM »

Yeah, I remember :)...
But, I must be missing some setting because, in both cases, I was only using one input so I can't imagine why the console would be automatically messing with one signal and not the other.
Dan

Remember what I said right at the start of the thread about consoles often reducing signal level at bus or main fader stages to prevent overdriving them?
Sounds like you've just discovered exactly that.
Or, there may be some setting on the subgroup, like maybe a compressor engaged, that you've overlooked.
Cheers,
David.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »

Yeah, I remember :)...
But, I must be missing some setting because, in both cases, I was only using one input so I can't imagine why the console would be automatically messing with one signal and not the other.
Dan

The gain reduction at subgroups, if present, is almost certainly static rather than varying dynamically per number of channels used - going back to analogue terminology, hardwired.
David.

Dan Crocker

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »

Ok, I went back and played more. I think the loudness difference I was hearing was a combination of listening position, EQ, and slightly different input signal levels. I spent a little more time setting the input gain for the different mics. As of now, I think the console is behaving as I expected.
Thanks for all the help!
Dan

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 04:07:39 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.