ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to get internet from shop to home  (Read 22137 times)

Dave Aubuchon

Need to get internet from shop to home
« on: January 15, 2014, 02:45:32 PM »

Hi everyone thanks in advance.
 I need to get internet from my shop to my new house 100ft. away. I live on a farm. I currently get internet by way of radio signal from town to me.
I know I could run a cable from my router to my home. But seeing how that's 100ft. I don't know how good my signal would be once I get there. Also Shop building has a metal siding exterior so at 100ft I don't think Wi-Fi would work.
 Anybody get any idea's?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Need to get internet from shop to home
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »

I need to get internet from my shop to my new house 100ft. away. I live on a farm. I currently get internet by way of radio signal from town to me.
I know I could run a cable from my router to my home. But seeing how that's 100ft. I don't know how good my signal would be once I get there. Also Shop building has a metal siding exterior so at 100ft I don't think Wi-Fi would work.
 Anybody get any idea's?

One hundred feet is no problem.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 03:09:12 PM »

Anybody get any idea's?

A direct burial CAT5 cable would be a great way to go.  CAT5 Ethernet is limited to around 328ft so you'd be well within the distance limits.  At the house, you can get a small switch if you need to connect multiple devices.

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:38:50 PM »

A direct burial CAT5 cable would be a great way to go.  CAT5 Ethernet is limited to around 328ft so you'd be well within the distance limits.  At the house, you can get a small switch if you need to connect multiple devices.
Thanks just wanted to make sure before I went to all the trouble to dig. Where's the best place to get Cat5 burial cable.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 03:47:31 PM »

Thanks just wanted to make sure before I went to all the trouble to dig. Where's the best place to get Cat5 burial cable.

A local electrical or telecom supplier or many online retailers.  Here's one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Waterproof-Ethernet-Direct-Burial/dp/B001B6C5H8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389818686&sr=8-1&keywords=direct+burial+cat+5

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »

If I was doing this, I'd invest in PVC conduit (under $5/10' section depending on diameter).  If you ever have to replace the cable you won't have to re-dig and if you should ever want to pull another cable for whatever reason, you've got it in place.

This observation comes from 50 years or so of "home improvement" projects...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Josh Hana

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 04:08:46 PM »

Cat 5 is stupid cheap. I'd run at least 2 lines, alone with a length of tie line or string to pull cables in the future if you go the PVC route.

Cosmo

• SR Forums
  • Northern Colorado, USA
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 04:29:28 PM »

... a length of tie line or string to pull cables in the future if you go the PVC route.

+1.  Been there, didn't do that, regretted it.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.  Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away.  - H.D. Thoreau

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »

Dave,

Digging is a lot of work, and direct connections have drawbacks.

My metal walled shop is about 150 feet from the wireless modem located in my house (which has metal lath), I have no trouble picking up the Wi-Fi signal full strength from it, or a half dozen other signals from other houses that are a minimum of 300 feet away.

A friend recently had a lightning strike which rendered his Wi Fi modem and the computer hard wired to it, and the keyboard sound module hard wired to it all junk.

Had he used the wireless option, the computer and sound module would have been fine.

The only thing I have hard wired to the modem is the TV, but I'm not too worried about loosing that in a lightning strike, but computers are a drag to replace even if you have them all backed up.

The guy that had told my friend to hard wire from his modem also had his hard wired computer destroyed by a lightning strike.

Art
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 04:39:04 PM by Art Welter »

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »

In that case a wired option to the house can still provide the best answer if you add a wireless access point at the house and have the cable providing the connection back to the router.  Also it is an easy setup to maintain.  This will allow for
easy upgrades after time along with lower signal outside that can be hacked and Hijacked. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 05:56:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 23 queries.