ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Need to get internet from shop to home  (Read 22155 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Need to get internet from shop to home
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2014, 04:52:10 PM »

After looking at the link Craig provided this is how I receive my internet. There is a very tall grain bin in town (approximately 3 miles away) they send me a signal from it and I receive it with my radio.
 I was getting voice over IP for my business phone service from them too. But about 4 months ago it started dropping out, like a cell phone. After replacing a lot of equipment they came to the conclusion that it was interference. They said that audio was more susceptible to interference that the internet...So I have to drop the voice over IP and get raped again by the phone company.

What kind of antenna do you have on your end? The antenna can make a huge difference. since it is a fixed point you are connecting to you can have a very high gain antenna.

Since they are probably providing service to other locations they probably have an omni antenna. If you have a high gain directional antenna aimed at the elevator you may get better service.

Mac

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »

I live in an apartment building in a densely populated area.  There are presently around 3 dozen visible wifi networks around me, whether from in the same building, neighboring buildings, or across the street.  Most use the default settings.  I once changed the channel settings on mine to something which not shared by as many neighbors, but i did not notice any change in speed.

Speed is determined by the provider and hardware used. Signal strength has nothing to do with speed. You are either connected or not, but speed will not increase due to a stronger signal. The exception to that is also controlled by the provider when service type changes depending on signal strength. This feature is hardware dependent, but simply put the hardware will "slow down" the transmission rate to insure completed transmission/reception of the data. Other services will simply disconnect the device. AT&T uses this method. Transmission speed is also controlled based on the plan you purchase. Lower cost plans route through equipment throttled back at the CO. Pay more and your requests are given more bandwidth.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2014, 09:35:42 AM »

Signal strength has nothing to do with speed.
Signal strength ABSOLUTELY correlates with speed (assuming the upstream wired stuff isn't the bottleneck).  The various 802.11 protocols each have a number of data rates that are negotiated based on current RF circumstances.  802.11B starts at 11Mbp/s, then negotiates down to 5.5, 2, and 1Mb/s.  The other protocols are similar.  Several WiFi clients will actually show your current speed, which you can watch change as you walk around.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2014, 10:58:16 AM »

Signal strength ABSOLUTELY correlates with speed (assuming the upstream wired stuff isn't the bottleneck).  The various 802.11 protocols each have a number of data rates that are negotiated based on current RF circumstances.  802.11B starts at 11Mbp/s, then negotiates down to 5.5, 2, and 1Mb/s.  The other protocols are similar.  Several WiFi clients will actually show your current speed, which you can watch change as you walk around.

TJ,
The protocol does not determine/tell the hardware what to do. The hardware responds to the transmission type as determined by the protocol being used. If the hardware supports the protocol all is well. If the hardware is capable of being throttled back based on the signal strength, all the better. Cheaper hardware won't attempt to slow the transmission rate which is a large factor in lost connectivity. So regardless of protocol and speed capability of that particular protocol it is still the hardware which is the deciding factor. I'm attempting to keep the discussion at a layman's level here, but think you and I have said the same thing using a different verbage.

"This feature is hardware dependent, but simply put the hardware will "slow down" the transmission rate to insure completed transmission/reception of the data."
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2014, 03:40:20 PM »

Another thing to understand about WiFi is that it works very much like a hub rather than a switch. The bandwidth is shared among all devices. So if you've got ten devices connecting at 130Mbps to a single access point, and they are using the network heavily, you can expect to get effective speeds closer 13Mbps. It is also a simplex rather than a duplex connection.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Dave Aubuchon

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2014, 06:39:21 PM »

What kind of antenna do you have on your end? The antenna can make a huge difference. since it is a fixed point you are connecting to you can have a very high gain antenna.

Since they are probably providing service to other locations they probably have an omni antenna. If you have a high gain directional antenna aimed at the elevator you may get better service.

Mac
One other thing to note. The problem that caused me to lose my voice over IP, provider said it was interference. Also causes some internet issues. If I'm looking at a page with a lot of pictures (say EBay) I will only get about 80% of the pictures on the page. Won't get the other no matter how long I wait. But if I refresh the page I usually will get them all. So I take It I'm losing packets? Does that sound like a interference problem.

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2014, 08:06:59 PM »

One other thing to note. The problem that caused me to lose my voice over IP, provider said it was interference. Also causes some internet issues. If I'm looking at a page with a lot of pictures (say EBay) I will only get about 80% of the pictures on the page. Won't get the other no matter how long I wait. But if I refresh the page I usually will get them all. So I take It I'm losing packets? Does that sound like a interference problem.

Sounds like packet loss. I'd try a ping test; in OSX you can open the Network Utility and and ping from there. I had trouble similar to that recently when I got a new router(a highly reviewed really nice Asus); stuff wasn't loading correctly(similar to what you describe) and being slow. The ping test was showing around 25% packet loss. Switching back to the old router(cheap Netgear) fixed the problem immediately. I sent the Asus back to Amazon and got another one and within a week it was doing the same thing(though it worked correctly for a little while). I sent it back and used the money to get a Buffalo router and it's been fine. The reason for the new router was so that I could connect a USB HDD to it for file sharing. If you have Windows I know you can ping from the command prompt, I've done it, but I can't remember the exact command.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 08:48:01 PM »

Speed is determined by the provider and hardware used. Signal strength has nothing to do with speed. You are either connected or not, but speed will not increase due to a stronger signal. The exception to that is also controlled by the provider when service type changes depending on signal strength. This feature is hardware dependent, but simply put the hardware will "slow down" the transmission rate to insure completed transmission/reception of the data. Other services will simply disconnect the device. AT&T uses this method. Transmission speed is also controlled based on the plan you purchase. Lower cost plans route through equipment throttled back at the CO. Pay more and your requests are given more bandwidth.

i dont know much about wireless networking protocols, but my response was about a substantially denser residential area not being an issue concerning connections.  most wifi in my area is also set to the same channel. while that may not be an optimum arrangement for individual users, it negates any worries poised by potential neighbors living comparatively magnitudes further away.

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2014, 08:50:45 AM »

Sounds like packet loss. I'd try a ping test; in OSX you can open the Network Utility and and ping from there. I had trouble similar to that recently when I got a new router(a highly reviewed really nice Asus); stuff wasn't loading correctly(similar to what you describe) and being slow. The ping test was showing around 25% packet loss. Switching back to the old router(cheap Netgear) fixed the problem immediately. I sent the Asus back to Amazon and got another one and within a week it was doing the same thing(though it worked correctly for a little while). I sent it back and used the money to get a Buffalo router and it's been fine. The reason for the new router was so that I could connect a USB HDD to it for file sharing. If you have Windows I know you can ping from the command prompt, I've done it, but I can't remember the exact command.

The windows command is "ping". :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2014, 08:50:45 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.