ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: on a bar level...not professional how many of you...  (Read 13481 times)

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
Re: on a bar level...not professional how many of you...
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2014, 03:30:23 AM »

Just out of interest, to the OP, why did you ask "on a bar level - not professional"?

Did you think we wouldn't mess about with things during larger events?!!

Steve.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2014, 01:02:54 PM »

I once wired a vocal mic to 115v. When the singer grabbed the mic it shocked the shit out of him and he was out cold for 15 minutes. We laughed all night long.

Another time I rigged blasting caps to the drummers snare. When it exploded it took out his knee. we laughed all night long.

Once we rigged the front legs of a B3 and about half way through the first set it tipped over and broke both the keyboard players legs. We laughed all night long.

We put darts in the top horns of a Leslie once. when it spun up to high speed the darts flew out and impaled 5 people in the audience. We laughed all night long.

We put marbles under a guitar players pedal board one night. when he tried to use his wah the board flew into the crowd and he fell off the stage breaking his arm. We laughed all night long.

We rigged the ramp to the truck one night so that it would slide off and fall. Two roadies got hurt, but luckily after they had finished loading the truck. We laughed all night long.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2014, 04:37:06 PM »

I once wired a vocal mic to 115v. When the singer grabbed the mic it shocked the shit out of him and he was out cold for 15 minutes. We laughed all night long.

Another time I rigged blasting caps to the drummers snare. When it exploded it took out his knee. we laughed all night long.

Once we rigged the front legs of a B3 and about half way through the first set it tipped over and broke both the keyboard players legs. We laughed all night long.

We put darts in the top horns of a Leslie once. when it spun up to high speed the darts flew out and impaled 5 people in the audience. We laughed all night long.

We put marbles under a guitar players pedal board one night. when he tried to use his wah the board flew into the crowd and he fell off the stage breaking his arm. We laughed all night long.

We rigged the ramp to the truck one night so that it would slide off and fall. Two roadies got hurt, but luckily after they had finished loading the truck. We laughed all night long.

My hero!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2014, 04:42:44 PM »

Not sound engineering related but a few years ago at a gig, I had arranged with the rest of the band that in a particular song, when another band member went to play a harmonica solo, we would all go up a semi-tone.

Steve.
Similar,
Back in my road warrior days, we had a "sexy boy" drummer who felt he was the best singer in the band. Just so happened the lead singer was a former drummer, and quite good. So, once or twice a night Sexy Boy would swap places with the singer for a couple songs. He would always want to do songs that were a little out of his vocal range and the straining of his voice to reach some of those notes was like nails on a chalkboard to the rest of us.
One afternoon the bass player and me(guitar) relearned one of his songs in "G". Originally he sang it in "D".  Brian Adams song There Will Never Be Another Tonight.
Fairly quick tune that starts of with a 4 count, guitar and bass in on count 1, first vocal line starts on count 2 "put on your blue dress baby...."
I'll never be able to erase the sight of that vein popping out on his forehead trying to sing that song 5 semitones higher.
He just thought he was having an off night. Later the singer spilled the beans, and boy was he pissed. THAT was even more funny.
Topic Swerve: Do all bands have 1 member that everyone picks on a little extra?

One other time another band I was in shocked the inattentive crowd by hitting the stage for our 2nd set donning only our gotchies and cowboy boots. It helped. The first set was like playing for an oil painting that smoked.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2014, 04:48:20 PM »

Topic Swerve: Do all bands have 1 member that everyone picks on a little extra?

Not really picking on, but I was in a band with someone who would regularly be chatting at the bar whilst the rest of us packed up.  One night we made him pack everything away by himself whilst we watched.

Steve.

Steve Kennedy-Williams

• Kennedy-Williams.net
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »

The old MXR pitch shifter, 1 octave up.... don't ask how I know...

Dan Healy would sometimes pitch shift Bob Weir's vocals during The Other One. Chipmunk Bobby. I've heard it was a contributing factor to his tenure ending with The Grateful Dead.

As an audience member, it cracked me up.

Patrick Tracy

• SR Forums
  • Boulder, CO, USA
    • Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2014, 02:40:44 PM »

Dan Healy would sometimes pitch shift Bob Weir's vocals during The Other One. Chipmunk Bobby. I've heard it was a contributing factor to his tenure ending with The Grateful Dead.

As an audience member, it cracked me up.

I do remember that. It was funny once, then sort of distracting. But then so were Bob's "haa, hananaa" shrieks.

Ted Christensen

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »

Just out of interest, to the OP, why did you ask "on a bar level - not professional"?

Did you think we wouldn't mess about with things during larger events?!!

Steve.

Haha! Redundancy and never assume anything.  Two things I have learned in this business.
Danley SH46 / Th115 / EV ZX5 / EV QRX212H / QSC HPR / Lab Gruppen / Chauvet / Blizzard / Allen and heath ilive

Joe Jordan

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 07:46:15 AM »

I've had a rule for a while, mention me in any way: by name or just "sound guy" and the mic gets turned off. It became a game for a while , one band member would start and as I was muting him another would jump in.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 07:46:15 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.