ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: James Stoffo summarizes the wireless situation  (Read 12059 times)

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: James Stoffo summarizes the wireless situation
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 06:46:46 PM »

So when might we find out where the new acceptable 12mhz space will be (replacement for ch 37) I need to purchase 12ch of mics and 8 ch of microphones VERRY soon! They need to work in a biulding along with 16 other ch of mics and 6ch of iem (which I'm sure will need to be replaced) as well. How do you make the best decision at this time?

Spectrum Bridge has an app called "show my white space" that I use alot.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 08:50:54 PM »

So when might we find out where the new acceptable 12mhz space will be (replacement for ch 37)?

Using one of the White Space Database administrators enter your location and they will provide you with that information. My two favorites are Spectrum Bridge and Telcordia. At the moment I prefer Telcordia's GUI but the information is identical. When entering your location I recommend using your Latitude Longitude instead of a zipcode. The database is written for coordinates and there can be discrepancies between administrators with provided zipcodes but they are identical when provided coordinates.

I'd love a clarification from an expert here(I've been keeping up with everything released but I haven't found this yet): We don't know what's going to happen to the reserved channels that are above 600MHz, correct? Depending on the TV market and the forward auction some places my be able to keep their existing reserved channel, while others will have it sold off? Will those market that lose their reserve channel above 600MHz be given another channel below 600MHz after the auction to return their total reserved bandwidth to 12MHz?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:07:21 PM by Cameron Stuckey »

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »

I'd love a clarification from an expert here(I've been keeping up with everything released but I haven't found this yet): We don't know what's going to happen to the reserved channels that are above 600MHz, correct? Depending on the TV market and the forward auction some places my be able to keep their existing reserved channel, while others will have it sold off? Will those market that lose their reserve channel about 600MHz be given another channel below 600MHz after the auction to return their total reserved bandwidth to 12MHz?

That's what I'm asking too.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Doug Hammel

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 02:41:00 PM »

So, basically, we're fucked. The government has been paid off by big business and doesn't care. And it's going to be all but impossible for all but the most highly trained experts to operate RF mics with anything but the most expensive of equipment, which most artists and producers won't be willing to pay for.

So next time anyone does a political function and the politician asks for a wireless, let him or her know what they are allowing to happen. When it directly affects them then maybe they will start figuring it out. Just a thought...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:14:18 PM by Doug Hammel »

Roland Clarke

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2014, 04:38:56 PM »

Unfortunately it's not just telecoms companies that are at fault.  Even within our industry we have come more and more to rely on radio systems.  The number of shows that used to go out with little or no radio systems, now IEM are common place as are radio mic's.  Possibly, in the past, we avoided such as the gear wasn't that great and there were significant trade-offs in terms of sound quality and reliability.  Major theatre shows often have 40 + as we all well know, major television events can be considerably more, seems like the world and his wife want to be wireless these days.  Being that broadcasters do have relatively "deep pockets" and airtime influence, I suspect that in real terms compromises will be reached. Perhaps necessity will drive the next quantum leap forward in technology and the radio systems of the future will be better than anything we could dream of now?

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2014, 04:51:27 PM »

So next time anyone does a political function and the politician asks for a wireless, let him or know what they are allowing to happen. When it directly affects them then maybe they will start figuring it out. Just a thought...
I like that idea:)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Tommy Peel

• Longview, Texas
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 05:21:24 PM »

So next time anyone does a political function and the politician asks for a wireless, let him or know what they are allowing to happen. When it directly affects them then maybe they will start figuring it out. Just a thought...
Sorry, *insert politician* you can't have a wireless mic as you didn't leave any RF spectrum for our mics to operate in. Here's a wired '58 with 100ft of cable though. ;-D

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 12:13:29 PM »

We don't know what's going to happen to the reserved channels that are above 600MHz, correct?
Correct. Or below 600MHz for that matter. Both are likely to go away.

Depending on the TV market and the forward auction some places my be able to keep their existing reserved channel, while others will have it sold off? Will those market that lose their reserve channel above 600MHz be given another channel below 600MHz after the auction to return their total reserved bandwidth to 12MHz?
Way too early in the process to make any kind of credible prediction, other than to say it most likely the two reserved channels in UHF will almost certainly go away. There are other avenues that are being explored however: The FCC (OET in particular) does understand the importance of wireless microphone operations in society for the very content production that the telcom industry wants to distribute through the same spectrum.

Future FCC Public Notices and Notice of Proposed Rule Makings will provide 600MHz spectrum and auction information as it develops.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

James Stoffo

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 11:27:17 AM »

Spectrum Bridge has an app called "show my white space" that I use alot.

All,

We are not completely screwed.  I have to believe that the wireless audio designers in the US will come up with technology to work around these new challenges.  RAD is testing narrow band technology which allows us to operate hundreds of portable devices in the same UHF bandwidth as one or two FM devices.  Shure, Sennheiser and AKG have introduced digital wireless microphones.  Know the rules and you will get through this mess.  OR, if you really think that it is game over, buy stock in a copper company. 

James Stoffo

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 12:01:29 AM »

James,
The technology exists already. Implementation of same technology at a price point most people can afford will be the real challenge. Quality transmitters and receivers will be the answer to the prayer.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 12:01:29 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.