ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable staging and martial arts  (Read 2794 times)

Gerry Seymour

• My Professional Website
Portable staging and martial arts
« on: January 14, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »

I'm looking for some expert opinions here. Not sure why I'd come to PSW for that...   :D

What are thoughts on the ability of portable staging to put up with a martial arts demonstration? I'm not just talking about kicking and punching, but significant throws and falls (think Steven Seagal).
Gerry Seymour

Professional Trainer and Speaker
(with lighting/audio experience)

anything that moves will eventually die

anything that doesn't move is probably already dead - James Feenstra

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Portable staging and martial arts
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:40:08 AM »

I'm looking for some expert opinions here. Not sure why I'd come to PSW for that...   :D

What are thoughts on the ability of portable staging to put up with a martial arts demonstration? I'm not just talking about kicking and punching, but significant throws and falls (think Steven Seagal).

I would contact the manufacturer(s) and ask about ratings for dynamic loading.  Tell them what you're using it for so they can give you an honest answer.

That said, I've seen such things on the same portable stages that are used in arenas and on tour:  Stageright, Staging Concepts, Smart Stage, Sico Performance, etc.

I would not do this type of event on folding stage sections like Sico or Midwest Folding (the kind used in hotels).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:16:51 PM »

I would contact the manufacturer(s) and ask about ratings for dynamic loading.  Tell them what you're using it for so they can give you an honest answer.

That said, I've seen such things on the same portable stages that are used in arenas and on tour:  Stageright, Staging Concepts, Smart Stage, Sico Performance, etc.

I would not do this type of event on folding stage sections like Sico or Midwest Folding (the kind used in hotels).

Thanks, Tim. Your response reinforced my initial thought: this requires high-end staging. I wouldn't trust most hotel staging, even if high-end, because it is generally so poorly maintained.

I will have to do more research before actually committing to anything, but at least it appears to be feasible. 
Gerry Seymour

Thomas Lamb

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:19:14 PM »

Thanks, Tim. Your response reinforced my initial thought: this requires high-end staging. I wouldn't trust most hotel staging, even if high-end, because it is generally so poorly maintained.

I will have to do more research before actually committing to anything, but at least it appears to be feasible.

+1 on what Tim said. I wouldn't have any issues doing it on my staging concepts stage.
bigTlamb

"If you suck on a functional analog desk, you'll really suck on a complex digital desk...." Dick Rees

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:33:31 PM »

A martial arts demonstration staged with real martial arts practitioners shouldn't put any more stress on a stage than a few people jumping up and down. They'll probably bring padded mats, and half the point of that practice is to learn how to be thrown without getting hurt - so not much real impact on the floor.

Gerry Seymour

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 09:41:42 PM »

A martial arts demonstration staged with real martial arts practitioners shouldn't put any more stress on a stage than a few people jumping up and down. They'll probably bring padded mats, and half the point of that practice is to learn how to be thrown without getting hurt - so not much real impact on the floor.

Scott, the downward force isn't the issue - it's the lateral force. A strong projection ("away" throw) can generate a lot of force, and the recipient often chooses a quick stop rather than a prolonged roll - especially when a wall or the edge of a stage comes into play. This sudden transfer of lateral force (from the person to the stage) is what concerns me. Particularly since I'm likely to be the one transferring that force to the stage, at times.

In any case, it looks like I just need to make sure the right quality of staging is involved.
Gerry Seymour

Woody Nuss

• Santa Monica, CA
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 03:03:45 AM »

What the hell is this stuff?
http://www.intellistage.com/

I have a client who wants to put up a temporary seating area with tables and waiter service on top of this stuff. It doesn't look too stable to me. Any input?

Barry Kosherick

• SR Forums
  • Maynard MA
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »

I have a client who wants to put up a temporary seating area with tables and waiter service on top of this stuff. It doesn't look too stable to me. Any input?

I have used intellistage a few times as a portable drum riser.  It was decently stable, but I wouldn't want to use it for anything with a dynamic load.  The biggest issues I had were getting the clamshell pieces used to lock together multiple sections to actually lock, but an extra 1/4 turn of the hex keys seemed to work fairly well. 
Barry Kosherick
Electroacoustic Engineer
InMusic Brands

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »

From the FAQ section of their website:

"How much weight can an IntelliStage platform support?
IntelliStage platforms are capable of supporting 185 lbs per sq. foot (900 KGS/sq. meter). The total weight load a platform can support ultimately depends on the platforms overall size."

Seems pretty borderline.  i would expect lateral stability to be comparable.  IOW, look for better stuff to stay safe.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 10:22:26 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.