ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Smaller Subs  (Read 15262 times)

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
Re: Smaller Subs
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 02:25:19 PM »

Not opposed just didn't want to. 

You could buy TH-Mini's.  Sensitivity is close to the Labsubs (1 to 1 ratio might work) and they will do 65-120 while also working as a "sub" for the bar gigs.  Again, they won't do "low" bass but should do a solid band type of sound.  I suspect you would do better to crossover to the labs closer to 75 but the "numbers" will work themselves out after some use.  But it seems these would be out of your budget...

ps: the crossover between any sub and the labs is going to require some careful work with some measurement gear in order to work out the phase overlap.  A lot of times a crossover around 90-100 can be messed up but still listenable.  A cross around 60-70 that is screwed up can really kill your bottom end "bump" and likely won't be forgiven. ;-) 
Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Travis Dean

• http://www.KaraokePlusLLC.com
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 03:28:48 PM »

You could buy TH-Mini's.  Sensitivity is close to the Labsubs (1 to 1 ratio might work) and they will do 65-120 while also working as a "sub" for the bar gigs.  Again, they won't do "low" bass but should do a solid band type of sound.  I suspect you would do better to crossover to the labs closer to 75 but the "numbers" will work themselves out after some use.  But it seems these would be out of your budget...

ps: the crossover between any sub and the labs is going to require some careful work with some measurement gear in order to work out the phase overlap.  A lot of times a crossover around 90-100 can be messed up but still listenable.  A cross around 60-70 that is screwed up can really kill your bottom end "bump" and likely won't be forgiven. ;-)
Very helpful info thanks.  I think i'll just have to rethink the whole combining subs issue.  Might just use the labs for bigger events and buy some smaller subs just for the smaller gigs and not mix them.
Travis Dean
Karaoke Plus, LLC

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 03:44:16 PM »

Very helpful info thanks.  I think i'll just have to rethink the whole combining subs issue.  Might just use the labs for bigger events and buy some smaller subs just for the smaller gigs and not mix them.
Travis,

You might be interested in these subs which use Lab 12", go about as low as the LabHorn, but are only 1/4 the size, and far easier to build:

http://soundforums.net/diy-audio/134-free-sub-plan-dual-lab12-front-loaded-welter-systems.html

I have two for sale.

Art

Travis Dean

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 09:10:30 PM »

Travis,

You might be interested in these subs which use Lab 12", go about as low as the LabHorn, but are only 1/4 the size, and far easier to build:

http://soundforums.net/diy-audio/134-free-sub-plan-dual-lab12-front-loaded-welter-systems.html

I have two for sale.

Art

Could you send me a picture of the ones you have for sale?  Also, maybe a side-by-side comparison picture with another sub next to it just so I can actually see it?
Travis Dean
Karaoke Plus, LLC

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 12:07:21 PM »

Could you send me a picture of the ones you have for sale? 
The 22.5" tall WS 2x12" are on the left, Paraline Mid/High in the center, and a Keystone sub on the right. The Keystone is 45" tall, same as a Labhorn.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »

Those look like a fun little design to undertake that would add a fair bit of oomph for a small footprint. If I happen onto some spare cash or LAB12s I know what the 7 sheets of ply sitting in my garage are going towards!
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Travis Dean

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »

The 22.5" tall WS 2x12" are on the left, Paraline Mid/High in the center, and a Keystone sub on the right. The Keystone is 45" tall, same as a Labhorn.
VERY COOL!  How old are they and what do you want for them?  Where ru located?
Travis Dean
Karaoke Plus, LLC

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 06:41:56 PM »

VERY COOL!  How old are they and what do you want for them?  Where ru located?

The pair of cabinets were built using Baltic Birch around 2008, each is presently loaded with only one Lab 12, the empty hole has a cover plate.
$600 per pair plus shipping, unloaded for $400. Shipping weight is around 80 lb with one driver, about 55 without, usually have used FedEx for shipping from Santa Fe (87505).

I could sell them "as is" with or without the Lab 12 cones. "As is" would not have input jacks, as they presently have EP-6 and you probably use Speakon, about a $3 inlet IIRC. The EP-6 connectors I use are getting hard to get and are like $25 each...

The speaker cover plate works OK, you could start with a pair of cones, and later add another pair if you wanted more upper output. The response below shows the single 12" compared to the dual 12", both with the same BW25 125 Hz filters.

Art
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:44:14 PM by Art Welter »

Jean Garcia

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2014, 01:15:38 AM »

I have just come into 4 EAW La118z's.... I have 2 xti4000, and a drive rack does anybody have any input on the best set up/ frequency choice for these subs.... I want them to hit hard....

Taylor Hall

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 10:57:56 AM »

I have just come into 4 EAW La118z's.... I have 2 xti4000, and a drive rack does anybody have any input on the best set up/ frequency choice for these subs.... I want them to hit hard....
That's probably a question best left for a separate thread as it's a complex answer that can not be made without knowing a host of other variables first. Venue size/attendance, other equipment used, spl targets, etc...
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 10:57:56 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.