ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser Evolution lav gating  (Read 5370 times)

Joe Sawaya

Sennheiser Evolution lav gating
« on: January 13, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »

Hello,

I'm in the middle of a video shoot. Most of my work using wireless mics has been for live event purposes. This event is record only.

Maybe I've never noticed it before because of the relatively noisy conditions of live audio, but my Evolution mics sound terrible through the headphones. There is a gating going on that I can't seem to remedy. All of the presenter's audio sounds like it is going through a cheap gate. It got so bad that I ran out and purchased a brand new set. Same problem with the brand new set right out of the box.

Has anyone experienced this and is there something I've overlooked in the settings that could prevent this?

Edit: I'm going directly into a Yamaha LS9-32. Channel is clear with no processing. Every other input sounds clean. I'm monitoring the stereo bus, before it goes to the record decks. Evolution G3 100 Series. /Edit

Thanks,

Joe
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 06:54:52 PM by Joe Sawaya »

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
Re: Sennheiser Evolution lav gating
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 06:54:15 PM »

Hello,

I'm in the middle of a video shoot. Most of my work using wireless mics has been for live event purposes. This event is record only.

Maybe I've never noticed it before because of the relatively noisy conditions of live audio, but my Evolution mics sound terrible through the headphones. There is a gating going on that I can't seem to remedy. All of the presenter's audio sounds like it is going through a cheap gate. It got so bad that I ran out and purchased a brand new set. Same problem with the brand new set right out of the box.

Has anyone experienced this and is there something I've overlooked in the settings that could prevent this?

Thanks,

Joe
Operator error somewhere. What is your TX gain and AF meter readout on the receiver? Do you monitor directly from the receiver or through something else?

Joe Sawaya

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 06:59:30 PM »

Operator error somewhere. What is your TX gain and AF meter readout on the receiver? Do you monitor directly from the receiver or through something else?

I updated my OP, but all settings are at default. TX gain was -30. AF gain on receiver is set to +18. Shows full signal on the screen.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »

I updated my OP, but all settings are at default. TX gain was -30. AF gain on receiver is set to +18. Shows full signal on the screen.
What kind of mic do you use?

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 08:03:47 PM »

Hello,

Edit: I'm going directly into a Yamaha LS9-32. Channel is clear with no processing. Every other input sounds clean. I'm monitoring the stereo bus, before it goes to the record decks. Evolution G3 100 Series. /Edit

Thanks,

Joe

I am guessing that this is not gating (unless its in the console, you've checked that right?).  Watch the receiver and see if it is going in and out of mute.  My guess would be that it's an issue of RF signal strength or interference or both causing the receiver to mute.

Perhaps not.

Let us know what you are finding.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

[email protected]

• Traveling Monkey Sound
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 03:35:57 AM »

What is the squelch setting on the receiver?
Anything that makes a noise is satisfactory to a crowd.

~Charles Dickens

Jim McKeveny

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:45:44 AM »

Pilot tone issue?

Joe Sawaya

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 10:01:38 AM »

Squelch is set to low.

Mic is the supplied ME2.

The Pilot Tone is on but I don't know what that does, honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 10:10:58 AM »

Squelch is set to low.

Mic is the supplied ME2.

Pilot tone, sent from the transmitter, triggers the squelch to open rather than just relying on RF signal being present.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:29:52 AM »

Squelch is set to low.

Mic is the supplied ME2.

You havn't mentioned if you have tried re-tuning to a different frequency?
I can't remember if this unit will scan but if so, run a scan and tune to the provided frequencies.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2014, 07:29:52 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.