ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Govt Contracts - now asked to work after hours  (Read 5151 times)

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Govt Contracts - now asked to work after hours
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 09:30:21 AM »

The bid documents did not state anything about the load-in/setup day except that we would have one.  We now have the schedule and of the next 4 shows, two of them we cannot load-in till after 10pm, one of them is after 7pm.  it is not a huge show, load-in should be 3 hours but our callback for the show is 7am. 
Question - should I go back to the client or purchasing dept. and ask for a change order for the overtime? turnaround?  i would hate to upset them but it was lowest bidder and i'm sure my techs will be upset about the times and lack of turnaround time.
Well, if you wanted to be snippy, tell them "two hours does not constitute a day for setup. You agreed to provide us a load-in day, you need to do it. Here is our charge $X,XXX if you want to remove the load-in day from our agreement." Whether or not this would hold water and/or not cause further trouble remains to be seen...

As a business owner, if something like this comes up, and I know it is going to be disconcerting to my techs... I make sure I am right there with them, on the street til two am, and then back out again at 6am, or whatever if takes to get the job done and make the client happy. If I have to short myself pay so I can give a bonus to the crew, I'll do it. If I have to buy them Starbucks or RedBull to keep them kicking, I'll do it. And then, next time around, I make sure I do my due diligence in advance to make sure I am more specific in my bid documents as for timing(s) and potential for up-charges based on client changes. Because, with all of this-- it it still seems a bit unreasonable for them to ask you to make a major change to the schedule (the disappearing of the load-in day) without any financial repercussions.
Based on Tim's comments I don't see anything disappearing or changing from what was defined and agreed to during the bid process, the issue seems to simply be that the load-in/setup days were not clearly defined during the bid process and have now turned out to be other than assumed.  The problem with asking for any Change Order or other compensation is that apparently Tim did not clarify or identify their assumptions regarding load-in/setup when bidding, thus nothing now being requested seems to actually deviate from or contradict being part of the work as bid.  Put simply, there seems to have been nothing in the original RFP or bid identifying or even indicating that the work would not be as now being requested.  Unfortunately, this may just be one of those situations that you have to consider a learning experience for the future.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:34:25 AM by Brad Weber »

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »

Unfortunately, this may just be one of those situations that you have to consider a learning experience for the future.

Amen.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 10:35:33 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.