ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cable channels/covers.  (Read 7138 times)

Lyle Williams

Cable channels/covers.
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:59:30 AM »

Ok, this might not be 100% power and grounding but they protect power cables and sit on the ground:

What cable covers / cable channels do you like?  How much of your cable runs do you cover?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Cable channels/covers.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 10:49:30 AM »

Ok, this might not be 100% power and grounding but they protect power cables and sit on the ground:

What cable covers / cable channels do you like?  How much of your cable runs do you cover?
I've got a pile (read: a pallet... 150' total, 51-3' units, plus a 4-way cross that I rarely use and some 45° turns that also get rarely used...silly me, buying things I may not really need... oh well.) of Checkers 5-channel cable ramps. I went 5-channel to be compatible with the "big guys" in town, who use Checkers Guard Dog/Yellow Jacket (so they are interchangeable) for their production.

I usually will cover FOH run, more often then not on my dime. [I'd like to be charging for these more then I do, as I have $8,000 invested in them, but for some of my smaller events, they just don't have the budget to add even a couple hundred more bucks to the invoice.] I'm also ready to cover things like power-cables-going-across-the-backstage-access-point. Basically, the more publicly visible and accessible the cables area, the more inclined I am to ramp them.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 02:58:13 PM »

Thanks Ray.  Looking at this stuff I had noticed that the price could add up pretty quickly...

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 03:27:47 PM »

Thanks Ray.  Looking at this stuff I had noticed that the price could add up pretty quickly...

If you're going to be using them indoors or places with public access, you should get the ADA compliant cable ramps. They have a much more gradual lift which not only makes it easy for wheel chairs to roll over them, but they present much less of a trip hazard for people on 2 legs.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »

If you're going to be using them indoors or places with public access, you should get the ADA compliant cable ramps. They have a much more gradual lift which not only makes it easy for wheel chairs to roll over them, but they present much less of a trip hazard for people on 2 legs.

I ended up with 5 channel ramps with the regular (4:1?) slope.  They are going to be used outdoors to get cables across service roads.

The name-brand ramps that are compatible with the ADA-compliant ramps were twice the price.  The ADA-compliant ramps were twice the price again.  The legislation is diferent here, with some different requirements too.  Some of the compliant wheelchair width solutions are a grand down here.  Each.  Ouch.

I did give this some considerable thought.  In the likely usage scenarios there is either alternate wheelchair friendly access or the access is defeated by bigger problems (stairs and walls in parks.)

Your post was valuable in making me think through the issues.  I'll build a flooring ply and checkerplate rubber bridge when I get the chance.

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 11:02:44 PM »

We use the Checkers "Fastlane" dropover ramps. They a LOT lighter and easier to handle, and cheaper, too. Great for foot traffic, not as good for vehicle traffic...

Lyle Williams

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 03:49:50 AM »

I have yellow rubber dropover ramp that I try to use when crossing paths.  It works pretty well, but can be disturbed if people kick it.  I normally put traffic cones next to it to minimise the risk and maximise the visibility.  It isn't the same brand, but is effectively the same product as the fastlane.  Prams and wheelchairs don't seem to have too much trouble with this stuff.

The heavy 5-channel protectors are for crossing service roads.  They are meant to be rated at 6t per tyre, but as a result are 2" high.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »

We use the Checkers "Fastlane" dropover ramps. They a LOT lighter and easier to handle, and cheaper, too. Great for foot traffic, not as good for vehicle traffic...

OT slightly, but what color(s) do folks have?  I see that black, yellow, and sometimes orange are the usual choices.  Should I get black for stealth, yellow for warning, or a combination?  (Black and orange for the Harley crowd?). Mark C.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 12:26:31 AM »

OT slightly, but what color(s) do folks have?  I see that black, yellow, and sometimes orange are the usual choices.  Should I get black for stealth, yellow for warning, or a combination?  (Black and orange for the Harley crowd?). Mark C.
I went (for my 153' feet of stupid-expensive 5-channel Checkers Guard Dog ramps) for black ramps with black lids, as I have a few minor corpy-type gigs that I like to use them for getting power to vendor tables. I need more low-profiles then I have, but either way, the black-on-blacks blend into the floor best. If the client gets concerned, I can always put yellow gaff stripes across them.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 06:47:05 AM »

Black/orange, and people still trip over them. All black is fine for places that aren't walkways, but if it's not a walkway, you probably don't need a ramp.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 06:47:05 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.